Ohhhhh gawd

Apples, celery, grapefruit, whatever, are NOT "negative calorie foods" They DONT magically make you not absorb calories or burn more fat or count as exercise for digesting them. OMG. Seriously? Calories are calories!!!! Anybody with me?

/end rant

Replies

• Lone_Wolf70
    Lone_Wolf70 Posts: 2,820 Member
    Anything at 0 cals actually is negative as u burn chewing them
  • mistyladidah
    mistyladidah Posts: 210 Member

But what FOOD is at 0 calories? Apples, celery, others all have calories, and while they may come close to counteracting each other, chewing isn't usually enough to burn them all off.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member

I don't think chewing is the strong side of most humans considering all the digestion problems and the magical ability to consume a whole meal in a matter of minutes.

Oh, and sugar free chewing gums are not 0 cals. And since climbing a stair is around a burn of 0.1 cals... Have fun chewing.
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,238 Member

snort. well played.
  • RedHeadDevotchka
    RedHeadDevotchka Posts: 1,394 Member
    The whole digestion process burns calories too. But really who cares? If people want to believe this or agree with you, a post like this is not going to change their mind.
  • Lone_Wolf70

But what FOOD is at 0 calories? Apples, celery, others all have calories, and while they may come close to counteracting each other, chewing isn't usually enough to burn them all off.

Celery is zero
  • delaney056
    delaney056 Posts: 475

Celery is zero

Lawl.

From Livestrong.com.... http://www.livestrong.com/article/40973-nutritional-value-celery/

"Celery is a vegetable that can be added to salads, recipes or eaten by itself as a low-calorie snack. Cooked or served fresh, the veggie contains many health benefits.

Calories, Fat and Cholesterol
    One cup of chopped celery contains 20 calories and no fat. The vegetable contains no cholesterol and, therefore, is a heart-friendly snack."

:flowerforyou:
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,724 Member

Celery is zero

Not when i smother it in peanut butter...
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    If food had 0 calories, it wouldn't be food. lol.
  • Lone_Wolf70
    Two points

It sAys chopped....dont chop.them.and the caloeies go away

Livestrong was vreated by noted drug abuser lance armstrong

Also, i.put cocaine on my celery
  • delaney056
    Two points

:laugh: Chopping/not chopping something does not remove calories. Where did you come up with that?

ETA: It doesn't matter if he is a drug abuser or not. That doesn't mean he has no knowledge of nutrition.
  • mistyladidah

Celery is zero

Following a cursory internet search I found nothing saying celery was 0 calories... 17 was one count given for a cup chopped, 14 for another... MFP actually says 14 cal. as well so I'm afraid you're incorrect. I wanted you to be right for the sake of all the hopefuls out there...

The coke will definitely help your metabolism! :laugh: And that was three points... :wink:
  • mistyladidah
    Two points

:laugh: Chopping/not chopping something does not remove calories. Where did you come up with that?

I'm guessing that by not chopping the stalks, you burn more calories chewing... But what if you chop vigorously enough?
  • delaney056
    Two points

I'm guessing that by not chopping the stalks, you burn more calories chewing... But what if you chop vigorously enough?

Then I guess you break even...
  • mistyladidah
    Two points

Still not negative though. I could never chew that enthusiastically... unless I wanted to accidentally eat my cheeks and then I'd go over on calories! :noway:
  • delaney056
    Two points

Still not negative though. I could never chew that enthusiastically... unless I wanted to accidentally eat my cheeks and then I'd go over on calories! :noway:

Haha! I'd risk biting my tongue off. Loads of fat and cholesterol right there.
  • Tony_Brewski
    Tony_Brewski Posts: 1,376 Member
    Off the top of my head pickles have no calories so I guess a cucumber wouldn't either.. ice berg lettuce... theres acutal a pretty long list of foods with out calories in them. It's rather shocking what you find when you do RESEARCH... and yes at 0 calories intake the chewing, and processing turn food into waste turns into (spoiler alert) negative calories! You ready for a really big shocker? Drinking what just about freezing temp actually burns 8 calories per 8oz drank because the stomach has to super heat itself to warm up the water before it can begin to digest it! EEEEEP!!!!

Research research research.

/endrant
  • mistyladidah
    Don't scold people about doing research when you couldn't be bothered to look up calories on MFP!! Pickles are 5 cal, iceberg lettuce is 16 for 2 oz., and cucumbers are 16 for a chopped cup. I am fully aware of the processes that burn calories... that doesn't mean they themselves are calorie-free.
  • delaney056
    Off the top of my head pickles have no calories so I guess a cucumber wouldn't either.. ice berg lettuce... theres acutal a pretty long list of foods with out calories in them. It's rather shocking what you find when you do RESEARCH... and yes at 0 calories intake the chewing, and processing turn food into waste turns into (spoiler alert) negative calories! You ready for a really big shocker? Drinking what just about freezing temp actually burns 8 calories per 8oz drank because the stomach has to super heat itself to warm up the water before it can begin to digest it! EEEEEP!!!!

Research research research.

/endrant

Actually, pickles do have calories. One cup of sliced/chopped cucumber, dill, or kosher dill pickle has 17 calories. Iceberg lettuce also has calories. One cup contains 10.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2476/2
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/23466-negative-calorie-foods/

Got it from livestrong so it must correct right?