workplace romance

Options
124»

Replies

• rossi02
    rossi02 Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Swore I would never do it.. this one time, I just couldn't resist. We will celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary in a week and a half. As others have stated, make sure this isn't a no no with HR.
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    Don't date classmates, don't date coworkers. Freaking too much drama even for innocent bystanders.

If not at school or work, where do you think most people find someone?? I understand the coworker thing, but I think classmates are different. Classes only last like a semester and then you don't have to see that person everyday if you dont want to anymore.

Not if you have classes like mine. 3 whole years all together. Ugh. I never had to learn though because the guys kept flunking out
  • rok2run
    rok2run Posts: 17
    Options
    I meet my boyfriend of 3 years at work [he was a cook, I was a waitress] We dated for over 6 months without anyone knowing. By the time people started to find out about us I was switching jobs anyway. He still works there, I do not. We would not have lasted this long if we still both worked there. Way too much drama and other people thinking they can get involved in your relationship.

(what is with cooks and waitresses?!) Did this-does not work!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    It's also a bad idea if it ends up working out and you get married and you both work at the same company still. You're putting all of your financial eggs in one basket and if there's a down sizing or the company goes belly up you're SOL.
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    NO! JUST NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Save us the misery!!!!!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    No rules. I do whatever I want. I can't afford to have rules. You never know when the "one" will walk into your life. I'm open to anything. I've had flings at work. It's always cool. It's how you approach it. I'm friends with all my ex's. So, I'm not the type to have a big blow out. I don't hang out with high maintenance people or someone that would blow a gasket. All my b*tches be cool.
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I briefly dated someone I worked with. It didn't work out, he got all bitter and tried to get me sacked from my job.

Don't go there. :P
  • MoveTheMountain
    Options
    It's great if it goes well, and potentially worse than hell if it blows up. So, big risk balanced against a potentially huge pay off. You need to do the math and decide based on your tolerance for risk, and how big the attraction is/how successful you think the two of you will really be over the long haul. If it's just hormones, and nothing deeper, I'd wave you off it. But if you think it's real, you might want to go for it. Could be your soulmate.
  • xarge
    xarge Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    Don't date classmates, don't date coworkers. Freaking too much drama even for innocent bystanders.

If not at school or work, where do you think most people find someone?? I understand the coworker thing, but I think classmates are different. Classes only last like a semester and then you don't have to see that person everyday if you dont want to anymore.

No I didn't mean short term classmates but in the university, I saw the same people 3/4 of the week for 4 years. That said, I never dated a classmate or coworker ever, never interested. But I saw too many nice beginnings gone wrong. It would be no problem if it was a classmate from one semester, again unless both parties have too many mutual friends.

Of course people should go for it if they think it's worth it but most breakups are not civil enough.