So apparently I'm a failure????

Options
We set out this last week to do the greenbrier river trail... About 160 miles in five days... Myself and the kids and two friends...

We didn't make it... Decided to stop ten miles from the end (saving us twenty miles round trip) and did 140... Slept out four nights... Rain one of them forcing us to seek shelter in a gazebo instead of sleeping in our hammocks (pain in the back as it were) butt blister (almost made me stop and hitchhike back to the car at mile forty...)

I decided to cut it short mainly because I have to work tomorrow and I don't want to be dead... I'm already very sore... I'm not sure how the extra twenty miles would have done me...

So my friend says we failed because we didn't "finish" what we set out to do... We didn't finish the trail and I have never seen the last ten miles of it... (we have section biked it before)

I say I am not a failure because I DOUBLED my previous longest bike... I didn't once say "I can't do this it's too hard lets go home I'm finished" (although he claims my cutting it short was saying that)... I say I'm not a failure because I don't know many people who can do 140 miles let alone people my age and weight (I'm still 270#)...

So am I a failure? Is this a guy thing I don't understand? My friend has this thing about "completing" things that feels almost neurotic to me...

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Get another friend. That one is bogus.

ETA: All accomplishments are successes. You fail when you don't try.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    You are only a failure if you let someone else make you believe that you are.
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Hummmm....I'd probably feel the same way your friend does...but I'm really weird like that....but I think you've been very successful! What a great trip!
    Be proud

We set out this last week to do the greenbrier river trail... About 160 miles in five days... Myself and the kids and two friends...

We didn't make it... Decided to stop ten miles from the end (saving us twenty miles round trip) and did 140... Slept out four nights... Rain one of them forcing us to seek shelter in a gazebo instead of sleeping in our hammocks (pain in the back as it were) butt blister (almost made me stop and hitchhike back to the car at mile forty...)

I decided to cut it short mainly because I have to work tomorrow and I don't want to be dead... I'm already very sore... I'm not sure how the extra twenty miles would have done me...

So my friend says we failed because we didn't "finish" what we set out to do... We didn't finish the trail and I have never seen the last ten miles of it... (we have section biked it before)

I say I am not a failure because I DOUBLED my previous longest bike... I didn't once say "I can't do this it's too hard lets go home I'm finished" (although he claims my cutting it short was saying that)... I say I'm not a failure because I don't know many people who can do 140 miles let alone people my age and weight (I'm still 270#)...

So am I a failure? Is this a guy thing I don't understand? My friend has this thing about "completing" things that feels almost neurotic to me...
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    you didn't fail. no, you didn't complete your goal due to some circumstances, but you still accomplished a lot and should be happy.

sometimes a goal is set high, and while we may not reach it on the first try, we can come amazingly close, and give us some gusto for the next time.
  • rocketass99
    rocketass99 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Tell your friend to shove it. He is no friend.
  • wbgolden
    wbgolden Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    you didn't fail. no, you didn't complete your goal due to some circumstances, but you still accomplished a lot and should be happy.

sometimes a goal is set high, and while we may not reach it on the first try, we can come amazingly close, and give us some gusto for the next time.
    right
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options

right

exactly. Ya ever heard the quote "If you aim for the moon and miss, you still get a handful of stars." same idea. you got a hell of a lot of stars. be proud.
  • dotmango
    dotmango Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Wow, what a great memory for your kids, knowing that you always put health and joy first. I have a lot of great memories of trips like this as a kid, and they were all victories.
  • kiminikimkim
    kiminikimkim Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    You failed at recognizing that she is not your friend
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    You're not a failure and don't let anyone make you feel that way.

I like to think that everyone is succeeding when they're get up off that couch and MOVE!
  • gradrun
    gradrun Posts: 69
    Options
    you're not a failure but you did fail on the goal you set. is that a women thing? to not be able to discriminate between facts and personality traits?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options

You're not a failure, however for the particular goal you set to do you failed to achieve. And there's nothing wrong with that since every failure eventually comes with success. You would have been a failure if you didn't even attempt it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    you're not a failure but you did fail on the goal you set. is that a women thing? to not be able to discriminate between facts and personality traits?

*Distinguish.

Must be a man thing. :wink:
  • AABru
    AABru Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but 140 miles on a bike is no small deal! It's an even bigger deal when you factor in the fact that you are not at your ideal wieght...GREAT WORK!:drinker:
    I did 50 when I was 5.5 months pregnant with my first child...it sucked, but I knew if I could do it, I could survive chidbirth! :wink:
  • gradrun
    gradrun Posts: 69
    Options

*Distinguish.

Must be a man thing. :wink:

Oops! My bad. That is a non-native speaker thing. Gender doesn't really play a role :-) . Even less so, if you consider the fact that I am a woman. I just don't like discarding perfectly valid observations as a "guy thing".
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options

I'm not afraid to say this made me a little teary eyed... :cry:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    They say to do is success....and to re do until you complete it on your terms is perfectionism...

so to even do it is a success...and the day you go back and finish is, you will be perfecting it...

rarely is it perfect the first try...
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    It depends what YOU feel the real goal of this trip was? If your goal was to go for longer than you had ever gone, and to get outside and be healthy, you succeed. To me, that's way more important than any mile marker. Sometimes we have to go for goals we may not be able to reach, to push ourselves. It would be pretty boring if we only attempted those challenges we knew for sure we could accomplish.
  • dovek11
    dovek11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Its not the destination, its the journey.....

The destination is a number on a scale or on a pair of jeans. Big deal. Yep, its a big deal when we get there... when the blood sweat and tears are spent and the number is earned by us.

but how many want to rush it.... hurry it. I want it NOW!
    Some use drastic measures to get it NOW.
    How many of them actually stay at their goal weight? Very few. They take the short cuts, they get to the finish line any way they can,
    and they never enjoy the journey. They don't take the time to look and reflect how they got to the starting line, or how they are going to get to the goal. They don't work on the things that need worked on.... nutrition education, emotional issues, self esteem, etc....
    Its all a rush to get to the goal any way they can. But what do they end up with?

There was no true journey of earned achievements, of struggles and glories.

It wasn't the destination for you that was so important. Was it? Before speaking to this jerk, you seemed to feel proud of all your accomplished on your journey of the river trail stay.
    But you let one person, one single person shake the belief in your soul that you accomplished something great and wonderful.

Sounds like, until he came along, you had a great time, a beautiful part of your journey. But you might stop to think why, just why you would let one persons opinion of your journey just come along and ruin it all.
    What the heck do you care, should you care, what one other person thinks of your accomplishments?

You will always face people who seek to tear you down, whether by judging size, race, demographics, etc....
    They are not worth your time, unless you allow them to be. Their opinions hold no credence, unless you let them.
  • SethosTBG
    SethosTBG Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    No, you're not a failure. It appears that it-the hike-wasn't thoroughly planned. For instance, checking the weather so that you could have packed the appropriate gear, map out the time +/- 60min.(which includes time to get there, perform the hike and return). Other than that you're not a failure.

As for your friend whether be male or female, everyone has a definition of failure. Myself I don't fail because I am not living up to someone's standards I have my own, and I push myself. I am my judge, if i think i did good I happy with that decision, If I thought I could do better, well next time I will. After all it's supposed to be fun, not a chore, not a competition either, ask your friend whose keeping score.

Enjoy life and your journey if you're satisfied the hell with everyone else, at least you do it.:smile:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!