I dont agree with myFitnessPal methods

Options

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    My feeling is if you don't like the process, find a new one that you like better.
  • super_monty
    super_monty Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    At a 31ls loss I will stick to it. The method of logging alone has work for me.
  • sgthaggard
    sgthaggard Posts: 581 Member
    Options
    Go to <My Home>, <Weigh-in>, <Track Additional Measurements>. Input 'body fat %.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    MFP is great as a tool to track whatever combination of macros/calories/pop tarts work for you.

I didn't notice any "method" that is compulsory for MFP users. Other than the oft-quoted "Create a 3500 calorie weekly deficit and you will lose 1lb of fat". Which is absurd anyway so I just ignore it.

I agree that 'weight' is a rubbish indicator of health, BMI also for that matter.

I agree with this.

But in all fairness, OP, what exactly are you disagreeing with MFP in terms of their methods?

MFP does have the ability to record both your weight and track your measurements, so there are a variety of tools at your disposal. When to use which one and how to interpret it is completely up to you. I'm not aware of a function on MFP that reads these measurements and declares one "obese".
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Overthinker is overthinking...
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    Which one? The overthinker saying that MFP doesn't work because people have muscle? Or the overthinker saying that muscle isn't heavier than fat because we are really talking about density (as if people aren't using weight as an estimate of their volume, or something)?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Which one? The overthinker saying that MFP doesn't work because people have muscle? Or the overthinker saying that muscle isn't heavier than fat because we are really talking about density (as if people aren't using weight as an estimate of their volume, or something)?

I was referring to the OP with my comment, but anyone who obsesses too much over a one size fits all solution to weight loss and health I would consider to be an overthinker...
  • vtachycardia
    Options

i is brake law o fizzik
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options

i is brake law o fizzik
    :huh:
  • vtachycardia
    Options
    me too
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Then, why are you here? Go to the site that follows your preferred method.
  • ichigo007
    Options
    Weight
    Since it is denser, muscle does weigh more than fat if you compare same-size portions. On average, the density of fat is 0.9 g/mL. The density of muscle is 1.1 g/mL. Using the averages, 1 liter of muscle weighs 1.06 kg, or 2.3 lbs., while 1 liter of fat weighs .9 kg, or 1.98 lbs. This may vary due to numerous factors including race, being extremely lean, or being extremely obese, according to "Exercise Physiology" by William D. McArdle, et al.

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/438693-a-pound-of-fat-vs-a-pound-of-muscle/#ixzz233O7YTkj
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I would not have been able to lose weight without it. It's a great tool. I keep track of all my measurements in addition to my scale weight. I'm not sure what the OP's point is. :ohwell:
  • 3LittleMonkeyMom
    Options
    It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.

Now I must go dance.
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thank you for enlightening us.

BTW, taking pictures of yourself in a mirror with your iPhone is grounds for having your man card revoked.:laugh:
    LOL @ man card revoction
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I can't listen to all the different advice given out on this site. If something else works for you great. But seems mfp is the average person and it works.
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I recommend he does a little more homework before jumping in and not knowing how to swim.
    Fact: Muscle is heavier than fat and it will always be that way. Buy a tape measure and a scale.

Muscle is not "heavier" than fat. :huh:

Yes it is... 1 cubic cm of fat is lighter than 1 cubic cm of muscle.

LOL - that is volume, which is nothing to do with heavier. You are correct that density and volume are different, but heavy is a weight, weight is weight. 100 Kilo of Fat is the same as 100 Kilo of muscle, the same that 100kilo of feathers is the same as 100kilo of lead.

Yes, but the sizes will be different, hence the change in a person's shape.

Nobody is disputing the "a pound is a pound" issue - but a pound of muscle stuck besides a pound of fat will show the muscle to be significantly smaller. This is what that poster meant when he said muscle is heavier than fat.
  • sarakarolina18
    sarakarolina18 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Let's face it, everything in the real world isn't "Look at me, I'm 19% body fat!" It's "Look at me, I'm 120 pounds now."

Amen!
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    While weight does not provide an accurate summary of overall health, it's far from useless as far as obesity is concerned. Someone who is 450 pounds is obese and not healthy; there is no human body capable of being that weight and being healthy or non-obese at the same time. It's when you get into the gray area of "this may or may not be healthy depending on the individual" that you need to start looking at other measures.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    So what's the point you're trying to make?

The solution is quite simple...if you don't like it...don't use it. The facts show that this site is working for a LOT of people. :ohwell: