I dont agree with myFitnessPal methods

Options

Replies

• jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I recommend he does a little more homework before jumping in and not knowing how to swim.
    Fact: Muscle is heavier than fat and it will always be that way. Buy a tape measure and a scale.

Muscle is not "heavier" than fat. :huh:

Yes it is... 1 cubic cm of fat is lighter than 1 cubic cm of muscle.

LOL - that is volume, which is nothing to do with heavier. You are correct that density and volume are different, but heavy is a weight, weight is weight. 100 Kilo of Fat is the same as 100 Kilo of muscle, the same that 100kilo of feathers is the same as 100kilo of lead.

Wow, I hate to out-pedant you, but Kilogrammes are a measure of "mass" not "weight".

Weight is how much force something exerts in a gravitational field and is therefore a relative amount depending on a bodies position in a particular gravitational field. Thus in space, we can talk of astronauts being "weight-less". Something weighs a different number of pounds in different gravitational fields.

However, said astronaut will still have the same mass in Kilogrammes in space that they would have had standing on the surface of the earth. Mass is an intrinsic property of matter. (One caveat of this is if you are accelerating toward the speed of light, in which case your mass will increase exponentially to infinity, but I thought we could rule out the as-of-yet impossible light speed travel thing).

Sometimes it sucks to be a pedant!
  • manniesherry
    Options
    Amen! Eat like a normal person and keep track of it--the whole premise behind myfitnesspal as far as I can see. There is one big secret to successful weight loss--and that is the fact that there IS no secret. You must burn more calories than you consume, however that is best achieved for you.
  • Aedrah
    Aedrah Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are trying to say, but i would say it is the easiest tool i have used to lose weght. there is no counting points green yellow pink days or what ever. just here is what you can eat to acheive your goal to get healthy and fit.

This! Things can always be improved, but it is by far the best tool I've found to help me. Agree that weight isn't always the best measure in the short term, depending on your situation, but over the long term it helps you chart your progress and reflect back on things you have done well so you can continue. And it's free! We certainly can't complain about that.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    I recommend he does a little more homework before jumping in and not knowing how to swim.
    Fact: Muscle is heavier than fat and it will always be that way. Buy a tape measure and a scale.

LOL - that is volume, which is nothing to do with heavier. You are correct that density and volume are different, but heavy is a weight, weight is weight. 100 Kilo of Fat is the same as 100 Kilo of muscle, the same that 100kilo of feathers is the same as 100kilo of lead.

Wow, I hate to out-pedant you, but Kilogrammes are a measure of "mass" not "weight".

Weight is how much force something exerts in a gravitational field and is therefore a relative amount depending on a bodies position in a particular gravitational field. Thus in space, we can talk of astronauts being "weight-less". Something weighs a different number of pounds in different gravitational fields.

However, said astronaut will still have the same mass in Kilogrammes in space that they would have had standing on the surface of the earth. Mass is an intrinsic property of matter. (One caveat of this is if you are accelerating toward the speed of light, in which case your mass will increase exponentially to infinity, but I thought we could rule out the as-of-yet impossible light speed travel thing).

Sometimes it sucks to be a pedant!
    I don't hold by your fancy metric units. I measure mass in slugs!
  • findingme07
    findingme07 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

That is measurement....not weight....muscle is smoother and more dense than fat, therefore, does not take up as much space, one pound is one pound no matter what you are comparing.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    My understanding now is that...

1) Weightloss is not an accurate indicator of obesity

2) The only way to be certain of one's obesity is to measure body fat percentage and this involves a scale AND a tape measure

3) Muscle mass can completely throw off your understanding of how fat you are if you are just using a scale because it will in same case make you heavier

Just add entries to track your measurements and use these as progress indicators. I have waist, chest, r bicep, l bicep, r thigh, l thigh which I measure and enter once a month and are a more reliable indicator of my progress than pounds lost. You can make custom categories yourself, either use the one's I provided (which give a rough indicator), or make one for bf % and start tracking that.

Why not use the whole capability of the site which does, as far as I can see it, actually do what you're talking about?
  • swat1948
    swat1948 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Hey, It has worked for me...the only thing that has worked in a long time.
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    It rubs the lotion on it's skin, or it gets the hose again.

Now I must go dance.

:flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    That is measurement....not weight....muscle is smoother and more dense than fat, therefore, does not take up as much space, one pound is one pound no matter what you are comparing.
    No one has ever disputed that. No one in the history of the world ever said that one pound of muscle is heavier than one pound of fat. Why do you people insist on interpreting this extremely clear statement in the most ridiculous way possible? YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS and you are just being obtuse.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,680 Member
    Options
    My understanding now is that...

1) Weightloss is not an accurate indicator of obesity

2) The only way to be certain of one's obesity is to measure body fat percentage and this involves a scale AND a tape measure

3) Muscle mass can completely throw off your understanding of how fat you are if you are just using a scale because it will in same case make you heavier
    I'd get my money back then............................................................oh wait it's a FREE site.:laugh: :laugh:

And I could have told you all of that.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    No one has ever disputed that. No one in the history of the world ever said that one pound of muscle is heavier than one pound of fat. Why do you people insist on interpreting this extremely clear statement in the most ridiculous way possible? YOU KNOW WHAT IT MEANS and you are just being obtuse.

Agree
  • ZugTheMegasaurus
    ZugTheMegasaurus Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    You give people too much credit. My mom is super-fit and loves weightlifting; she works in an office with a number of people who have a whole lot of ridiculous ideas about weight loss and fitness, including this one. They actually do subscribe to the idea that muscle is heavier than fat, without actually meaning "denser." They just don't think about what they're saying. Haven't you ever used the "What's heavier, a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks?" trick on someone? People just don't think. It makes sense to them until you point out why it doesn't.

So some people really do mean "muscle weighs more than fat." They aren't thinking about volume or density or the context of the statement; in their mind, it really is that simple.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

It is if the VOLUME is equal due to it's density.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    When doing comparisons, let's say metal here, to find out which one is heavier, you don't compared 1lb of lead to a 1lb of aluminum. You compare equal VOLUMES to determine which is heavier.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ShawnaIrene
    Options
    I have a real problem with the scale, because I go up and down every other day as much as 6 pounds...I am not going to record that, I would go crazy. It is acceptable to weigh every 2 weeks. If you are on track with a plan, and doing your excercise, and drinking your water the scale may still not go down, but ya can't help but get smaller and tighter. I love MFP---Shawn'A This post was supposed to go on the guy that doesn't agree with the MFP methods, but I still havn't figured all this out yet!!!!
  • bethira
    bethira Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Dude, did you enjoy stirring the ant hill? If this process isn't for you, there are thousands of others. It does work for many of us and that's why we stick around and are successful. If it didn't work for me, I wouldn't flame the boards, I'd just leave.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,085 Member
    Options
    Oh, ferchrissake. Let It Go, People. We've had 30 page arguments on the whole Muscle/fat thing.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Overthinker is overthinking...
    Which one? The overthinker saying that MFP doesn't work because people have muscle? Or the overthinker saying that muscle isn't heavier than fat because we are really talking about density (as if people aren't using weight as an estimate of their volume, or something)?

i is brake law o fizzik

^ I like that! :D
  • PittShkr
    PittShkr Posts: 1,000 Member
    Options
    I just hate how everyone is so against HCG!
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    hurr-durr-derp-face-.jpg