How many people know you're doing this?

Options
Morning all,

I was just wondering how many people you have told about this site, that you're trying to lose weight, etc?

I have only told my husband that I'm actually calorie counting and a friend who is on here already and recommended the site to me. I mentioned in passing to my Mum that I'm eating healthily at the moment ready for the IVF, but not that I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

I don't want to tell people this time round for several reasons:

1) If I have the odd bit of chocolate, or a biscuit or something, I don't want people saying 'I thought you were on a diet'!
2) It's not a diet, this is now my new way of life - eating healthily and treating my body the way it should be treated.
3) I am losing weight at a nice and slow pace and am focusing on being healthy, rather than losing weight quickly.

What are your thoughts? :)

Replies

• opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I haven't told anyone, except for friends who also use this site, so we can add each other. I've found in the past that people find it weird if I'm doing some fitness program, because I'm not overweight. Especially if they are overweight themselves - some people find it insulting that I should want to lose weight when I'm smaller than them. And yes, as you say, people then make comments if I eat a donut or something, and I don't want to have to explain everything I eat to people!

And besides, although I'd like to lose a bit of weight, I'm more interested in losing fat and gaining muscle, so that may mean I don't lose any weight, but just change my body shape - which I'm quite happy with. So although I've got a weight goal here, I may well adapt it - but I have to wait and see how my body responds to the various lifestyle changes I'm making. But I don't want to be explaining this to everyone. I'd rather just stick with my program and if results happen, then people can see them and comment on them. And then I can tell them that I was doing a fitness program.
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How many people know I spend my days flirting with women from all over the world under the pretense of losing weight

No one

Oh wait
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Everyone knows. I have no shame.
  • annoyingG
    Options
    I wont tell anyone, especially my sisters, they'll tease me of course, since im the big eater in the family, i usually cleaned up all the food, a year ago i tried to eat less so i could lose weight, but they noticed that and kinda said like "of course she's eating less, shes on a diet right now" and then laugh at me, after that i kept on eating whtevr i want, then i felt like i hve to change and eat healthier
  • TamAD48
    TamAD48 Posts: 387
    Options
    I let everyone know....keeps me accountable, plus several of my friends have joined with me. So we are doing the plans together and keeping each other motivated.
  • ScubyUK
    ScubyUK Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Everyone. Friends, Colleagues, Followers on Twitter and Facebook friends (because they get my updates automatically.)
  • sadowianka
    Options
    I can SO relate to this! It's really annoying, especially if people try to "fatten you up a little bit"...
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. I tell everybody that will listen. Working on the principle that it keeps me focused and my own mind on it.

Especially now that people in work/social life are starting to notice. A wow your looking good leads to a 10 minute "wow MFP is this great site....."

It keeps me thinking about what I have done to get here and what I need to keep doing.

Has even helped in the office as people now bring in fruit ocassionally rather than biscuits.
  • JaneMills0
    JaneMills0 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If they notice I'm losing wight I tell them (normally the next question to "Have you lost weight" is "what plan are you following"). Other than that I take the view I'm losing weight for me not them and they don't need to know.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I tell everyone who's interested. It keeps me accountable and it stops them from offering me things that might be difficult to resist. Then again, I've already lost a good 135 lbs from my heaviest. My close friends and family already trust that I know what I'm doing, so I don't get much flak for snacking.
  • jengroomes
    Options
    Pretty much everyone knows I use MFP... I used to think they were picking on me for logging every single food, activity, water etc. until one of my employees asked me how to get her account set up (she's not the most tech savvy...lol). Some people ask questions, some tell me to stop counting calories, that I don't need too, but most are very supportive when I explain it's to help keep me healthy so I can harass them for awhile longer! :wink: :happy:

Have a fantastic rest of your week!

Aloha! :flowerforyou:
    Jen~
  • FuneralDiner
    FuneralDiner Posts: 438 Member
    Options

I don't like talking about dieting and weight loss with people who don't understand.
  • b1505
    b1505 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Just my family at the moment, and I wish I hadn't told them...if I so much as look at some chocolate or anything unhealthy I get a death stare and told "you're on a diet" so annoying!
  • ipiddock
    ipiddock Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I tell anyone who want to listen. I find though that some people just don't. Some friends and family have not even commented on the fact that I have lost 36lbs, I can only put that down to one thing I'm afraid!

But I have introduced 5 people to the site and now they are following the program - mainly work colleagues.
  • Tors1984
    Tors1984 Posts: 25
    Options
    Just my family at the moment, and I wish I hadn't told them...if I so much as look at some chocolate or anything unhealthy I get a death stare and told "you're on a diet" so annoying!

So annoying - one of the main reasons I don't tell people!!!
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    My OH and some blokes that I used to work with who asked what I was doing as I was looking so much better than when they last saw me a year or so ago. Which is always a nice thing to hear. :)
  • Tors1984
    Tors1984 Posts: 25
    Options
    I am the complete opposite. I tell everybody that will listen. Working on the principle that it keeps me focused and my own mind on it.

Especially now that people in work/social life are starting to notice. A wow your looking good leads to a 10 minute "wow MFP is this great site....."

It keeps me thinking about what I have done to get here and what I need to keep doing.

Has even helped in the office as people now bring in fruit ocassionally rather than biscuits.

That's good about people bringing in fruit now instead! I'm a teacher and when it's people's birthdays, we have cake but someone usually brings in a lower fat option because someone is usually trying to eat healthily/lose weight!
  • Brooke_26
    Brooke_26 Posts: 204
    Options
    How many people know I spend my days flirting with women from all over the world under the pretense of losing weight

No one

Oh wait

Lol--that's great!! (we won't tell) :tongue: :wink:
  • lisamlc
    lisamlc Posts: 61
    Options

No one

Oh wait

HAHA!
  • melly7171
    melly7171 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I am with you on this. Only my husband, kids and 1 friend who is also on this site. And for the same reasons, other wise i get "should you be eating that" or "are you counting that" which is what i got when i was on WW.