How many people know you're doing this?

Options

Replies

• darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    Just my family at the moment, and I wish I hadn't told them...if I so much as look at some chocolate or anything unhealthy I get a death stare and told "you're on a diet" so annoying!

So annoying - one of the main reasons I don't tell people!!!

I used to get that until I started saying "But I can eat 10 of those and still be under my calorie goal as long as I don't eat anything else." Nobody's commenting these days when I tuck into sticky toffee pudding. :bigsmile:
  • Lakeswoman
    Lakeswoman Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I have told a few,,those truly interested in wanting to lose weight.
    Some have joined, others not,,,yet.

When friends ask what I'm doing or how I did it, some I tell and others I tell that I'm just walking more...which is the truth.
  • danimal5867
    Options
    I tell almost everybody who asks me about my weight loss. Of course it goes something like, "I'm eating healthy, I'm exercising daily, and I'm keeping a diary of everything I eat." I don't tell people I'm dieting, however. I always refer to it as having changed the way I eat. I'm thinking I might be using this site and app for years after I reach my goal weight.
  • Zvyezda
    Zvyezda Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone for the same reasons that I don't want to be judged or have people watch what I eat- I KNOW I'm doing well, I don't want other people's opinions on how to do it and quite honestly the fact that a lot of people haven't said anything about my very obvious 13 kg loss goes to show how supportive they would be.

On the other hand, when people do notice they can't really appreciate how hard I've worked for it because they don't know what I'm doing so they think it's been much easier than it has and I must just be somehow lucky to lose weight so easily!
  • eyouse
    eyouse Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Good attitude danimal!
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    A co worker knows that I'm keeping track of what I eat. My SO is the only one who really knows everything. I actually didn't tell him he came in on me exercising one morning and the jig was up! :laugh: . He's been really great though. Occasionally he asks "you can eat that?". Then I remind him no specific foods are off limits I just have to watch my total intake and try to keep my nutrients balanced. I also explained this is not a diet it's my new nutrition plan.

I don't really want to share this with anyone else until I see some fairly serious results.
  • leanne9876
    leanne9876 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Morning all,

I was just wondering how many people you have told about this site, that you're trying to lose weight, etc?

I have only told my husband that I'm actually calorie counting and a friend who is on here already and recommended the site to me. I mentioned in passing to my Mum that I'm eating healthily at the moment ready for the IVF, but not that I'm trying to lose a bit of weight.

I don't want to tell people this time round for several reasons:

1) If I have the odd bit of chocolate, or a biscuit or something, I don't want people saying 'I thought you were on a diet'!
    2) It's not a diet, this is now my new way of life - eating healthily and treating my body the way it should be treated.
    3) I am losing weight at a nice and slow pace and am focusing on being healthy, rather than losing weight quickly.

What are your thoughts? :)

I feel the same way, I haven't told anyone about this site and only a few people know I am going to the gym.
  • FTW7
    FTW7 Posts: 21
    Options
    How many people know I spend my days flirting with women from all over the world under the pretense of losing weight

No one

Oh wait

Ha! Same here except for men of course! ;)
  • FitBunnyEm
    FitBunnyEm Posts: 320
    Options
    Nah, i dont tell anyone, just my partner because he uses a similar site....No one is really interested and they always tell me i dont need to lose weight and to have a cake....its easier not to mention it Lol....then i dont have to explain myself again and again...
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Nah, i dont tell anyone, just my partner because he uses a similar site....No one is really interested and they always tell me i dont need to lose weight and to have a cake....its easier not to mention it Lol....then i dont have to explain myself again and again...

In fairness CHUNKI, you could do with upping your game a bit on the KETTLEERACISE classes lol
  • Tors1984
    Tors1984 Posts: 25
    Options
    I don't tell anyone for the same reasons that I don't want to be judged or have people watch what I eat- I KNOW I'm doing well, I don't want other people's opinions on how to do it and quite honestly the fact that a lot of people haven't said anything about my very obvious 13 kg loss goes to show how supportive they would be.

On the other hand, when people do notice they can't really appreciate how hard I've worked for it because they don't know what I'm doing so they think it's been much easier than it has and I must just be somehow lucky to lose weight so easily!

Wow, well done :). What I don't like is when people notice you've lost weight, tell you how well you've done and then if you put a bit on, tell you how amazing you looked before...like you put on 5lbs and that's it, you look awful!!!
  • KellyUK1987
    Options
    I've told my boyfriend, and my Mum. I mention in passing at work to people that I'm working out, but nothing more.
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    When I started I didn't tell anyone. Once people started to notice the weight loss I told them I was trying to get a bit fitter and lose a few lbs. Once I found MFP things really clicked into place for me. I set a calorie goal and didn't exceed it, but no foods were forbidden.

Now that I'm almost done the rules haven't really changed. When people say things like "can you eat that?" I just tell them that I'm not on a "diet" and I eat what I want. The strange thing is that the foods I *want* changed from being unhealthy crap to being healthier options. Who really wants to go running for 30 mins or cycling for an hour just so they can have a bar of chocolate?

Rather than being one of the workplace "perpetual dieters" who talk about food constantly and never get any thinner I've changed my lifestyle and will tell anyone who's interested all about it!
  • justal313
    justal313 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Options
    A number of my friends from my old Rocky Horror cast are on this site, one of them recommended it to me. Most everybody else in my life knows I log my calories and exercise on line and "I've got an app for that". When we're hanging out at camp my brother often tells me "stop entering your food and just eat" but everyone knows I'm losing weight by tracking my calories (more that just calories but that's someone not trying to do this easily understands, sometimes I'll describe it as watching what I eat) and my exercise. I check in at the gym or the rail trail pretty well every day and I'm shrinking so I often get asked what/how
  • shgreenw
    shgreenw Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I don't tell anyone. My husband knows, of course, but he's trying to lose 10 pounds himself. My in laws are VERY focused on weight. My sister in law is about a size 4 and it's a big family joke to tease each other about how "fat" they all are. My mother in law scrutinizes me with elevator eyes every time I see her. I'd just rather keep the site and logging to myself. I just tell them that I'm watching what I eat and am exercising more, which is the absolute truth.
  • snowmaniac
    snowmaniac Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I don't see any problem with telling anyone about being on this site. It's myfitnesspal, not myweightlosspal. Yes, many people are here to lose weight, but look around. I see large numbers of people trying to add muscle mass, some because they want to be big and beefy, some because they have always been too thin for their liking. There are many directions to approach fitness from and there are people here coming from every one of them.
  • mightymouse1998
    Options
    How many people know I spend my days flirting with women from all over the world under the pretense of losing weight

No one

Oh wait

same
  • cally69
    cally69 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Most people in my everyday life know and I'm happy to spread the word about MFP.
    The only people I've not mentioned it to are my parents. They live a distance from me and I don't get to see them more than once or twice a year, but they in part are the reason I'm doing this. When I last saw them (back in January) they sat me down and told me how worried they were about my weight and shared their concerns for me. It gave me the kick up the backside I needed to get my act together. I'm doing this in part for me and in part for them, because I love them so much. I'm looking forward to surprising them next time I see them!
  • RhoRocks
    RhoRocks Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    If we defend our habits, we have no intentions of quitting them.

I'm tired of defending my habits. I let everyone know. Being held accountable is the only way I'm going to win.
  • emnpepper
    emnpepper Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The bigCB ha that's great - LOL

But seriously isn't every person who logs onto this site is here for the only reason of shedding kilos and to be seen as who they really are???? I haven't told my friends but that's because it's about me, and how I feel about myself, not them.