Things to buy while I'm in USA

Options
Hey I'm going to Florida next week and to save a bit of cash and to eat well I'd like some ideas on foods worth buying that I can eat in the hotel. I have access to a Publix store mainly. I'll prob eat dinner out so foods for breakfast, snacks ideal...really just want to know best brands, eg, cottage cheese, yogurt, cereal etc. not sure I've got a cooker but defo got a fridge a possibly a microwave. Also be good to get ideas for drinks as I get sick of drinking fizzy drinks...in uk I prefer water and diluted sugar free drinks.

Replies

• shelleycolton
    shelleycolton Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Oh im interested in peoples answers cause i'm off to Florida in September.
  • anberlingasm
    Options
    Try to find a Whole Foods; it was the highlight of my trip to NYC this year. (Unhelpful in terms of brands, but have an awesome time!)
  • FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    jimmy-dean-pancake-sausage-chocolate-chip-736804.0.jpg
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    pretzel M&M are sooo good
  • DizzyLinds
    DizzyLinds Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Very funny guys....i'm already going to be hitting the cheetos, anything Reeces and a couple of naughty breakfasts at Village Inn....however....80/20 remember!
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    I can recommend bringing back flavoured Coffeemate - it's awesome! Brought back a load from my last trip and only have 1 container left :(
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    lutherburger.jpg

Luther burger.
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    what the F is that!?
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hello, I hope your time in Florida is a good one! I love it here. Publix carries Friendship Cottage cheese and I think it's the best. Keeping my sodium lower is important to me so I choose the "no salt added" one but all their varieties are made without all the junk added. They have many kinds of yogurt, I prefer the Greek yogurt and Chobani is my favorite. Most of the newer Publix's carry a nice selection of natural and organic foods too. Check the city you are going to and see if they have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. You'll find some awesome choices at either of those. I only drink water, tea and coffee so I'm not much help on the drinks. It's hot here so drink lots of water!

And wear sunblock when your out. People don't realize how burned they can get here. People go into the sun and it's not until hours later that the sunburn starts to show. We see tourist all the time walking around like little red lobsters.

If you have any other specific Florida questions, feel free to message me. I was born and raised here (50+ years) and have lived on both coasts.
  • AlphamaleBAMF
    Options
    A Luther Burger, or doughnut burger (among several naming variations), is a hamburger or cheeseburger with one or more glazed doughnuts in place of the bun. These sandwiches have a disputed origin, and tend to run between approximately 800 and 1,500 calories (3,300 and 6,300 kJ).
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    How about an apple, an orange, some Almonds, few carrot sticks. Couple of packets of turkey

As for the Sausage Pancake(Choc Chip) on a stick, that has to have been invited by Homer, for Homer
  • Shrinking_Moody
    Shrinking_Moody Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Water - lots of water. I somtimes add a flavor enhancer (Mio) to mine. Just a small squirt is great. When we are out of town - I tend to have a ton of produce for breakfast/lunch - and save cals for dinner. Some hotels offer breakfast on site - where I go for Special K cereal w/ skim milk and a banana. Not sure what you trip entails - but you'll probably do a great deal of walking - so don't forget to log it. And the sunblock comment above is accurate. We went to Disney in November - and I was a lobster - and I've lived in FL before so there was on reason for that. I knew better.
  • Brooke_26
    Brooke_26 Posts: 204
    Options
    Hello, I hope your time in Florida is a good one! I love it here. Publix carries Friendship Cottage cheese and I think it's the best. Keeping my sodium lower is important to me so I choose the "no salt added" one but all their varieties are made without all the junk added. They have many kinds of yogurt, I prefer the Greek yogurt and Chobani is my favorite. Most of the newer Publix's carry a nice selection of natural and organic foods too. Check the city you are going to and see if they have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. You'll find some awesome choices at either of those. I only drink water, tea and coffee so I'm not much help on the drinks. It's hot here so drink lots of water!

And wear sunblock when your out. People don't realize how burned they can get here. People go into the sun and it's not until hours later that the sunburn starts to show. We see tourist all the time walking around like little red lobsters.

If you have any other specific Florida questions, feel free to message me. I was born and raised here (50+ years) and have lived on both coasts.

Yes, can always tell tourists here by the "lobster look" :( Sunblock a must..drinking plenty of water a must.....That's definately some great ideas!! :smile:
  • haylz247
    haylz247 Posts: 435
    Options
    i have no idea :) but please take me with you!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Big Mac, large fry and a diet soda from McDonald's. That way you get the American experience in one artery clogging meal. :wink:
  • DizzyLinds
    Options
    Thanks for the replies so far. The hotels i'm staying in are lovely but to save cash too it'll be nice to get fresh produce and maybe indulge a bit more for dinner.

Last time Sweet Tomatoes won me over for lunch!

I admit too i love the coffee in 7/11 and am tempted by a glazed donut....minus the filling!!!

As for the heat and sun...i'm naturally quite dark so don't get the 'lobster' look! Still careful though! Funny really as wherever i go abroad people tend to speak to me in the local language. When i've been in Florida before it's generally Spanish as they think i'm Mexican!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Yes, can always tell tourists here by the "lobster look" :( Sunblock a must..drinking plenty of water a must.....That's definately some great ideas!! :smile:

Sadly, no matter where I go or how much sunblock I use I burn. I'm not a tourist! I'm just pale. :(
  • A_Shannigans
    A_Shannigans Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    lutherburger.jpg

Luther burger.

I gained 30 pounds and developed a sugar intolerance just looking at those pictures. :wink:
  • aewalk07
    aewalk07 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    How about an apple, an orange, some Almonds, few carrot sticks. Couple of packets of turkey

As for the Sausage Pancake(Choc Chip) on a stick, that has to have been invited by Homer, for Homer

LMAO. By homer for homer. so true. DOH!
  • aewalk07
    aewalk07 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Will you have a stove? Could you make eggs? If you don't have a stove, but have a microwave you can make eggs in a cup or bowl in the microwave if you have to, they cook very quickly though so don't blow up the microwave. Get some frozen diced veggies and add those to the scrambled eggs and you have a fast easy omelette. Pick up some yogurt ( Dannon light and fit vanilla and put your honey nut cheerios in it) Drink lots of water. I don't like to put anything in mine to sweeten it. I do like to cut up a cucumber and put it in the water. ( cucumber water) or Lemon, or watermelon. Naturally sweeten it. :) Pick up fruits and veggies and zip lock bags and come individual peanut butter cups and you can carry a healthy snack with you anywhere you go. Oh and some string cheese. YUM.