How many pounds of muscle could I really put on?

Options
12346»

Replies

• MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I feel as if my mind has been blown. So muscle mass does not equate to strength. I never realized this, as I've never put much thought to it.

So, basically, while strength training as a woman looking to lose weight, it's helping to retain the muscles I do have, strengthens them, but does not increase the mass or size of them. A basic breakdown, though, right?

No new mass or size, but you muscles will feel more firm- that combined with the added strength makes people think they've added muscle. There's also some intramuscular swelling you'll get which makes people think they've gained muscle- really that's just water and it will go away eventually. The firmness will stay as long as you keep training, though.
  • ZeroWoIf
    ZeroWoIf Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    I feel as if my mind has been blown. So muscle mass does not equate to strength. I never realized this, as I've never put much thought to it.

So, basically, while strength training as a woman looking to lose weight, it's helping to retain the muscles I do have, strengthens them, but does not increase the mass or size of them. A basic breakdown, though, right?

No new mass or size, but you muscles will feel more firm- that combined with the added strength makes people think they've added muscle. There's also some intramuscular swelling you'll get which makes people think they've gained muscle- really that's just water and it will go away eventually. The firmness will stay as long as you keep training, though.

Yea basically increased bloodflow in that body part that makes it look temporally bigger. During a bodybuilding show bodybuilders for example lift weights before the contest to increase the bloodflow in their muscles to get that pumped look.
  • Rhaiyne
    Rhaiyne Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks for taking the time out of the normal conversation to explain this a bit more to me, guys. I greatly appreciate it. There are so many myths and false beliefs in fitness, exercise, and dieting in general that it's hard to know what is truth and what is fabrication.
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

There WILL be a little bit of visual size gain, but it will mostly be from additional water and nutrient storage. If you look at me, I have never lifted in a calorie surplus. Only maintenance and below. (surplus coming soooonnn!!!!) My profile pic where I'm holding the phone and flexing one arm was after 4 months of lifting while eating at maintenance. That is basically a bit of size gain with fat on top making it look bigger than it is.
  • valcran
    valcran Posts: 6
    Options
    I've just joined today, and have gained weight since starting my own fitness program of walking ( flat and hills , up and down !) and I have my own ' kitchen- sink' routine which I do while waiting for the kettle to boil... which is quite a bit!!!
    I think I've gained muscle, as I weigh a few more lbs than I ever have, so feel huge - but can tighten my belt a notch.
    My goal is to lose 5lbs but think it might be harder for me to do, than some of you who have lost a lot.
    If my weight stays about the same, but I can tighten my belt some more - I will be realistically happy, as judging from the pictures. I am quite a bit older than most and it's my first attempt at dieting