Music lovers: Original vs. Cover Versions

Options

Replies

• DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that 311 cover of "Love Song" is far superior. Another good cover is "In The Air Tonight" by Nonpoint. It's no where as good as Phil's version, but it still gets a nod of approval from me.
    I actually like the Nonpoint version better. Too bad most of their original stuff never measure up to their absolutely awesome cover. Womp womp.
  • Alohathin
    Alohathin Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't necessarily call my favorites definitive, but here they are (sorry if some are repeats):

Machinehead--Message in a Bottle
    Gary Jules--Mad World
    Disturbed--Shout
    Chris Cornell--Billy Jean (My brother does a cover of this cover that is pretty cool)
    Otep--Breed
    FFDP--Bad Company
    Alien Ant Farm--Smooth Criminal
    Spineshank--My Guitar Gently Weeps
    Drain STH--Ace of Spades
    Metallica--Whiskey in a Jar (actually, most of the songs on Garage Days)
    Marilyn Manson--Sweet Dreams
    Chris Cornell's version of Billy Jean is amazing. That's actually my favorite MJ song, but Cornell takes it to a whole other place.

Yeah, no doubt. My brother does a mash-up with Cornell's version of Billy Jean and Nothing Else Matters by Metallica. It's pretty kick *kitten*.
  • Alohathin
    Options
    The instrumental cover of Billy Jean by Sungha Jung is awesome, too.

Youtube--CgVqX0a49HM
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Youtube--CgVqX0a49HM

I will be checking that out.............now!
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Youtube--CgVqX0a49HM

Listening to it right now....holy *kitten* I bow down to that kid. That is some serious talent.
  • ElicitDreams
    ElicitDreams Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I actually like the Nonpoint version better. Too bad most of their original stuff never measure up to their absolutely awesome cover. Womp womp.

Isn't that something?
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options

Isn't that something?
    That actually happens way to often with alot of artists. They do a cover, it's awesome. They do an original song, and you wonder what the hell happened.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    NIN - Hurt
    Johnny Cash - Hurt

I like Johnny Cash's version :)

Anything Johnny Cash covered became his own.

Hurt chokes me up, but his cover of the Beatles "In My Life" makes me blub like a big fat stupid baby. And his versions of Personal Jesus, Rusty Cage, Thirteen and U2's One are all just... amazing.

I'm rather partial to his rendition of the Civil War song, "The Ballad of Lorena," since I was named after it and all. :smile:
  • Alohathin
    Options

Youtube--CgVqX0a49HM

Listening to it right now....holy *kitten* I bow down to that kid. That is some serious talent.

Yeah, he has a ton of covers up on youtube, but that one is my favorite. I like the Pirates of the Caribbean, too.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Phil Collins: In the Air TOnight
    Nonpoint: In the Air Tonight

Phil Collins DEFINITELY wins. You can't beat the epic drums in that version and Nonpoint had it through the WHOLE song... it's better when it just happens :)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have to agree that 311 cover of "Love Song" is far superior. Another good cover is "In The Air Tonight" by Nonpoint. It's no where as good as Phil's version, but it still gets a nod of approval from me.

aaaaah man i didn't even see this before! I just posted about it. Definitely love Phil's version better
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    La Vida Loca- William Hung cover of Ricky Martin original.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    Options
    Well DUH! I thought he actually covered She Bangs though?
  • Wenchilada
    Wenchilada Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Well DUH! I thought he actually covered She Bangs though?

I think he ended up doing an album. I know there was a Christmas album at one point. My husband works at Walmart and he saw it there - he considered sneaking into the office and putting it over the sound system, but he didn't want to get arrested for mass aural assault. :laugh:

ETA:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspiration_(William_Hung_album)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miracle:_Happy_Summer_from_William_Hung
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hung_for_the_Holidays
  • calvert6183
    calvert6183 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Soundtrack Of Our Lives - Hereos
    Oasis - My Generation, Cum on Feel the Noize, Bittersweet Symphony, Day Tripper, Helter Skelter,Heroes, Hey Hey My My, I Am the Walrus, Street Fighting Man, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away, Come Together, To Be Someone
    Stereophonics - Dont Let me Down, IM only Sleeping, My Girl, Helter Skelter
    Muse - Where the streets have no name
    Ryan Adams - Wonderwall, Down In A Hole
    Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Hardest Button To Push, Cool Water
    Coldplay - What a Wonderful World, Bittersweet Symphony
    Keane - Under Pressure
    Johnny Cash - Hurt, You are My Sunshine, Ill FLy Away, One
    Chris Cornell - Billie Jean
    GNR - Live and Let Die, Bohemian Rhapsody, Hair of the Dog, It's Alright, Jumpin Jack Flash, Knockin on Heavens Door, Mama Kin, We Will Rock You
    U2 - Helter Skelter, All Along The Watch Tower, Instant Karma, Strawberry Fields Forever, Lucy In The Sky Of Diamonds, Help
    Dave Matthews Band - All Along The Watch Tower, In My Life
    Pearl Jam - Road House Blues, Another Brick in the Wall, Baba O'Riley, Break On Through, I Believe in Miracles, I Won't Back Down, Leaving Here, Light My Fire, Love Reign O'er Me, Rockin' in the Free World, You've Got to Hide Your Love Away
    STP - Road House Blues, Break On Through, Revolution, Dancing Days, Shine on You Crazy Diamond
    Greenday - Working Class Hero
    Aerosmith - Come Together, Helter Skelter, You Gotta Move, Baby, PLease Dont Go, Back Back Train. Love Me Two Times, Rattlesnake Shake,Train Kept A-Rollin, Walking the Dog
    Garbage - Wild Horses
    Radiohead - Only covered a few songs but they are great
    Placebo - Where's My Mind
    White Stripes - Anything Jack covers is brilliant
    Metallica - Covers are always great.
    Neil Young - Always does great covers
    Black Sabath needs to cover songs.
    Willie Nelson - I could be here all day with this one, I love his covers.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Song - Ring of Fire
    by - Johnny Cash
    Cover - Social Distortion

Love Johnny but the social distortion version gives it some ooommfff

Wow...I've missed a lot of great posts while at lunch.

I had completely forgotten about the Social D cover of "Ring of Fire." I think it was the first Social D tune that I owned - very cool.
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options

I don't know about 311 > Cure. I guess I can't separate the song from the context of the "Disintegration" album - the last truly great album from The Cure (and aptly titled).

I'll give the Nonpoint version a listen - but trumping Phil and that drum solo will be tough. You have to admit the first time you heard that solo it just came out of nowhere and blew you away.
  • Alohathin
    Options
    Tori Amos--Smells Like Teen Spirit
    Michael Hutchence--The Passenger
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    Hallelujah
    Original Leonard Cohen
    Cover Jeff Buckley...

Definitely this! Jeff Buckley's cover of lilac wine is fantastic too. He had such an amazing voice.

And anything Pearl Jam cover, they are just so bloody good. :heart:
  • DeepAsAPlate
    DeepAsAPlate Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Song - Monkey Man
    By - Toots and the Maytails
    Cover - The Specials & also Reel Big Fish

I love all 3 versions in there own special way.

The Specials take it for me. Friggin' love The Specials.