Bahamas anyone?

Replies

• Peanut0711
    Peanut0711 Posts: 88 Member
    Snorkeling is amazing!!! you should do that!!! you will love it!!!
  • SARgirl
    SARgirl Posts: 572 Member
    We went to Sandals for our honeymoon at Nassau so if that is a stop I would definitely recommend shopping at the straw market. You can haggle with the locals and they have some pretty cool stuff! We did a lot of scuba diving as well.
  • CallMeWifey
    CallMeWifey Posts: 21 Member
    That's what I was thinking! But, it doesn't look like we are. Our stops are Nassau, Freeport, and Key West, FL. Have a fabulous time, though! I know I can't wait!
  • dezi718
    dezi718 Posts: 118 Member
    What are your ports of call?

Nassau, and Half Moon Cay!

We went to Half Moon Cay in May and it is GORGEOUS! My husband and I had a great time doing the Sting Ray Adventure and my SIL did the Horseback riding and also loved that! You'll enjoy whatever you do there!!!
  • catjrow3
    catjrow3 Posts: 532 Member
    Definitely the snorkeling! Its amazing!
  • Haven't travelled to the Bahamas but we are planning a trip for december to Paradise Island. Can't wait!
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    My husband and I did a snorkeling excursion in Nassau. It was amazing! They took us to a reef that was beautiful! The only boat out there was ours. It was great!
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,749 Member
    Haven't been but my excursions go like this:

Get off boat
    Find Taxi
    Ask them to take me to a beach with a bar where there are NO tourists.
    Sit on said beach with multiple rum punches until it's time to go.

Beats any planned excursion out there.

Seriously though, we typically do ask the taxi driver to take us to see the sites where no tourists are and you would be amazed at some of the things you can see that are off the beaten path. In Mexico my husband and I went to chichen itza (hot as balls by the way. He figured after 10 years of going to Cancun perhaps I needed culture. All I wanted was a bar LOL) but any way after we were done one of the guys in the tourist shops took us around to some cenotes that were off the beaten path and no one was there. It was absolutely amazing.
  • I did the carnival cruise and we booked the snorkel excursion leaving from nassau. On the way the small boat brings you past oprah and michael jordans house on atlantis island. WOOOWW. Then the snorkeling... the water is so clear and beautiful. We used those sea-doo under water electic motors. Sooo fast so you can see so much. It was not expensive and it was worth every penny. Enjoy!
  • This past winter I went on a cruise to Progresso and Cozumel in Mexico. I didn't do any excursions. I just walked around, drank, ate, drank some more and chatted with the locals. I only had a very limited knowledge of Spanish so I took every opportunity I got to use it. I had a great time and learned more about the Spanish language and developed my ear for it as well.

I also hiked through Cozumel and the turquoise blue water was always in view. I never knew that the ocean water could be so pristine. Next time I'm renting a bicycle.
  • ladychea
    ladychea Posts: 13 Member
    It is hurricane season but there are no hurricanes currently as someone wrote in one of the posts. The waters are clear and perfectly fine and the weather is hot. I know because i am from The Bahamas and i live here in Nassau.

It depends on how long you are here and what you are interested in. Once the ship docks, there is the straw market as you disembark where you can get some nice souvenirs. You and your husband can do a horse and carriage ride through the downtown area. If you want to try our local cuisine, i would recommend going to Arawak cay which is our local fish fry and you can experience our native dishes. It is near downtown where you will dock, and you can either walk or catch a taxi.

If you like water activities, you can jet ski, para sail, go to blue lagoon island for the day and swim with the dolphins.

Atlantis over Paradise Island is a must see if you've never been and you can do a day pass there, and visit Marina Village. The jeep thing is nice because you will get to explore the island.

hope this helps.
  • I did a Carnival cruise to Nassau/Freeport/Key West in April 2011. We didn't pay for any of the excursions because we heard they were overpriced. Instead, we took ourselves shopping and to public beaches. One tip if you decide to go to the beach on your own. The hotels on the beaches will give you use of a room just for the day so you have towels, shower, etc. The price is very reasonable. We didn't know about that and had to change in the bathroom of a hole-in-the-wall bar.
  • KimH313
    KimH313 Posts: 162
    I haven't been to Bahamas so I am no help, but IF there are snorkeling or sting ray excursions I would definitely recommend........ and I personally loved horseback riding growing up so doing that in the Bahamas would probably be my dream come true. BUt i agree with the above post that going to a beach is the best. Either way I just wanted to say, have a blast!!! I love cruises!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Get off boat
    Find Taxi
    Ask them to take me to a beach with a bar where there are NO tourists.
    Sit on said beach with multiple rum punches until it's time to go.

Beats any planned excursion out there.

I agree whole-heartedly
  • BeccaLevine
    BeccaLevine Posts: 315 Member
    I'm going on a Bahama's cruise in 3 weeks too, maybe we are on the same ship!?! Lol!
  • cornfritter22
    cornfritter22 Posts: 230 Member
    I went with family when I was 14. One week in Nassau, one week Paradise Island. During the trip I visited the Straw Market (very interesting and fun), we went snokeling and did a scuba lesson then scuba diving (awesome). We also did a boat trip/booze cruise out to Rose Island which was beautiful and fun. Of course I was tickled pink that I was allowed to drink Bahama Mamas at age 14. They didn't have Atlantis at that point, but I would defintely try to visit that resort if I were to return.
  • Brooke_26
    Brooke_26 Posts: 204
    Been to Bahamas twice. If you can, book a parasailing excursion...:bigsmile:

Parasailing is amazing...and snorkling (you would definately enjoy both!!) :smile:

Have a great time!!
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    My husband and I did a snorkeling excursion in Nassau. It was amazing! They took us to a reef that was beautiful! The only boat out there was ours. It was great!

After reading all the reviews...This one looks great! It got amazing reviews! We snorkled in Mexico and it was cool but several people said in the Bahamas where they take you to the reef, is just incredible. A few people said it was better than snorkeling in Hawaii! I think we may do it. I'm from Mobile, Alabama and horses are beyond everywhere around here. That just doesn't excite me the least bit. Also, I don't want to parasail because I could do it here at the beaches for way cheaper! I know it would be more beautiful but still. I want to do something well worth it or save the money and lay around on the beaches and shop!
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member

Seriously though, we typically do ask the taxi driver to take us to see the sites where no tourists are and you would be amazed at some of the things you can see that are off the beaten path. In Mexico my husband and I went to chichen itza (hot as balls by the way. He figured after 10 years of going to Cancun perhaps I needed culture. All I wanted was a bar LOL) but any way after we were done one of the guys in the tourist shops took us around to some cenotes that were off the beaten path and no one was there. It was absolutely amazing.

^^We left the "tourist area" in Cozumel and every single Mexican we passed tried selling us cocaine and marijuana and who knows what else! Lol very sketchy but it was great shopping outside of the tourist areas...they would go sooooo cheap on stuff where right around the port, they would't!
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    It is hurricane season but there are no hurricanes currently as someone wrote in one of the posts. The waters are clear and perfectly fine and the weather is hot. I know because i am from The Bahamas and i live here in Nassau.

It depends on how long you are here and what you are interested in. Once the ship docks, there is the straw market as you disembark where you can get some nice souvenirs. You and your husband can do a horse and carriage ride through the downtown area. If you want to try our local cuisine, i would recommend going to Arawak cay which is our local fish fry and you can experience our native dishes. It is near downtown where you will dock, and you can either walk or catch a taxi.

If you like water activities, you can jet ski, para sail, go to blue lagoon island for the day and swim with the dolphins.

Atlantis over Paradise Island is a must see if you've never been and you can do a day pass there, and visit Marina Village. The jeep thing is nice because you will get to explore the island.

hope this helps.
    Sorry. I was not clear.
    Three big STORMS right now.
    Take a look at http://www.weather.com/news/weather-hurricanes/tropics-watch-hurricane-season-2012
    Those little orange things are storms.
    Those storms churn up all kinds of crap and with the storms we had pass us earlier in the week and that WILL be passing us in the next few weeks, you and I both know that visibility suffers.