Bahamas anyone?

Options

Replies

• Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Well if there is any chance of us getting hurt, Carnival will postpone the cruise...We always go in September because it's our anniversary and have been very blessed so far!

Also, I would love to see Atlantis...it's all I ever hear about but I hear it's really expensive just to tour the place!
  • jkrim941
    jkrim941 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Never did an excursion in Bahamas. Spent most of my time walking through the port. It's pretty awesome. Got some gifts in the straw market. Ate a great lunch at a little place a few blocks further into town.

My favorite port of call was Half Moon Cay on that trip. Grand Turk was only great because I befriended a local woman who was originally from the states and spent most of my time talking about the culture differences and the changes happening there, since Grand Turk is a pretty new port of call.

My ex did the parasailing in Half Moon Cay and thought it was completely worth it.
  • moonfire628
    Options
    I went to the Bahamas in .... 2006?? Not on a cruise, though, I stayed on the islands. Beautiful island, I wish I could go back. I did the dolphin tour where you get to swim with them (that was fun!) and I did the snorkel tour. I'm not sure what you're allowed to do if you're on a cruise, but maybe check out what the cruiseline suggests? or tripadvisor.com is always helpful to me.
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    Well if there is any chance of us getting hurt, Carnival will postpone the cruise...We always go in September because it's our anniversary and have been very blessed so far!

Also, I would love to see Atlantis...it's all I ever hear about but I hear it's really expensive just to tour the place!
    Well, it is not really a hurricane you need to worry about but even a large storm churns up the water for a few days which just makes for a less then ideal diving experience.

Thats just my opinion anyway.
  • Mama_Mila
    Options

Well, it is not really a hurricane you need to worry about but even a large storm churns up the water for a few days which just makes for a less then ideal diving experience.

-_- ok, YOU stop trying to rain my on my parade...If they had to go off course to keep us safe because a storm churns up, they would...but that is NOT going to happen :bigsmile:
  • smtillman2
    smtillman2 Posts: 756 Member
    Options

OK Negative Ned way to bring the house down. Booooooooo
  • digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options

-_- ok, YOU stop trying to rain my on my parade...If they had to go off course to keep us safe because a storm churns up, they would...but that is NOT going to happen :bigsmile:
    Oh.. I am sorry.
    I am not trying to do that at all.
    All I am saying is that you will have a limited time to do stuff so, you might not want to waste it on a snorkel trip that turns out to be crap.
    The jeep thing sounds cool or maybe even a tour of some of the old spanish/french forts.
    It just sucks when you are on a boat for an hour and reach a nice reef just to find out that visibility is 10 feet under the surface.
  • Dan112358
    Dan112358 Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I was in Nassau in March, 2011. We did a catamaran sail & snorkel through Carnival. The excursion was good, we saw some tropical fish & there was an open bar serving rum punch for the ride back to the pier. The only thing I didn't care for was that I never really felt like I was "in" the Bahamas because we left the ship, boarded that catamaran and then went right back to the pier. There was no opportunity to explore or get to know any of the culture.
  • Mama_Mila
    Options
    Hehehe sooooo....I guess it's either the snorkleing at the reef, atlantis, or just visiting the spa and getting a couples massage on the ship. Hmmmm maybe we shouldn't do any and let me shop MORE! That's my favorite thing to do anyways :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • fitwithin
    fitwithin Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    We are going on Carnival Magic in December to the Bahamas. I haven't been there in 20 years, but what I remember is that it is very expensive there. Just to have lunch will cost you about $100. It is better to book an excusion that might include lunch, drinks, beach, etc. if you can find one. Just getting a taxi to take you to a pubic beach will get expensive. We go on a cruise every year and we always wait until we get on the boat to book excursions. That way you can talk to them in person to find out which one is the most fun, etc. Last year we paid $20 more than we had planned for a Jamaican excursion that turned out to be much nicer than the one I almost booked and included free hoby cats, delicious lunch buffet, unlimited good drinks, and beautiful resort. Have fun and happy anniversary!
  • Mama_Mila
    Options
    Well, if lunch gets too expensive, we can always go back on board to eat and then go back...also I know some excursions have limited space and I'd hate for the times we want to be sold out if we wait til the last minute! I think we're gonna try and book through a third party also but thanks so much :)
  • Loser79
    Loser79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    i've been to the bahamas a few times. i've stayed at atlantis and i've been on a norwegian cruise that went to st. martin, st. thomas and nassau. at all the ports, i booked a snorkel trip. i love swimming and i don't really have that water where i live so i make the most of it when i can. the water here in san diego isn't beautiful crystal blue waters like the caribbean. anyway, i would recommend booking any swimming trip. in nassau, i did the stingray adventure. they boated you out to black beard's cay and you had several hours just to hang and wander the cay and swim with stingrays if you wanted to.

when i stayed at atlantis, i found myself leaving the resort because well...it's a resort. the water park is cool, but it's kind of ridiculous to be enjoying yourself in the pools and the crazy river when you're surrounded by beautiful ocean water. anyway, one of the times i had stayed in august and the weather was beautiful and also lived up to the tropical weather. there were scattered tropical storms, etc. you may have to play your excursions by ear because if there's any lightning nearby, etc. you won't be able to go in the water. at atlantis, they made us get out of the pools and the beach water when there was any sight of lightning.

i think i was just rambling here.

oh and if you hit up nassau, you should go to the fish fry place. they have good conch fritters and stuff. oh and get some yummy guava duff. oh wait...this is myfitnesspal and i'm talking about food. lol. well, you can make up for it through exercise? hahaha.
  • ladychea
    ladychea Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    The weather will be fine when you come. Positivity. Regardless of whether the weather is rainy or sunny that wont stop you from your love of shopping or going to Atlantis. Tip from a local: Don't pay for the Atlantis excursion. Take a taxi to Paradise Island, and let them drop you at Marina Village. You can walk through there where there are numerous shops and restaurants. From Marina Village you can actually walk into Atlantis, and practically walk the entire stretch and see the majority of it without having to pay. It's only if you want to do the waterparks or stay at atlantis that you have to pay a fee.

Do it when you get here at Atlantis if you decide to go in the paid parts i.e the parks and the cove. The cruise price will not compare.

Just a tip from a local. Also, we have been pretty blessed with hurricanes and storms lately, and hopefully that will continue into September when you visit. Most rain is passing rain and will not limit you from having a good time. And like you said the cruise wont take the chance anyway, so you will be fine. Have a great anniversary.
  • Loser79
    Loser79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    oh also...if you do the dolphin adventure on nassau...but not with atlantis. i don't know if that's offered through the cruiseline, but i had booked that on my own when i was staying at atlantis. anyway, after you do your dolphin thing you can stay there as long as you like. i don't know how long your port stop is, but this was fun.

http://www.dolphinencounters.com/island-all.php
  • HelloSweetie4
    HelloSweetie4 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    We didn't do any excursions at Half Moon Cay, we just hung out on the beach and enjoyed the free lunch bbq. It was peeerfect
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    From the Port in Nassau I enjoyed the walk up the hill to see Fort Fincastle. It's old, historical, and super cheap if that's the type of thing you're into:

http://www.viator.com/Nassau-attractions/Fort-Fincastle/d420-a480

Fort+Fincastle.JPG

That sites says admission is free but when I was there in April it was something like $2 to get in.

Also on the way make sure to walk through the Queen's Staircase, hand-carved in limestone by slaves and later renamed to honor Queen Victoria’s help in the abolition of slavery in the Bahamas.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147416-d147523-Reviews-Queen_s_Staircase-Nassau_New_Providence_Island_Bahamas.html

dsc01373_scale.jpg

Spend some time walking around downtown and you'll always remember... PROTECT YA TINGS!

Protect+Ya+Tings!.JPG
  • StarkLark
    StarkLark Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Oh and if you're tempted, SKIP the pirate museum. It might be good for kids, but everyone in our party found it pretty cheesy. Just stand out front on the street and listen to "Captain Black Sparrow" do his routine and you'll have more fun and save money.
  • Mama_Mila
    Options
    Hahaha awesome! Thanks!
  • jjnt007
    jjnt007 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I am going on my first cruise in March.
  • OneFitDude16
    Options
    went to the beach thats it idk what else there is sorry :/