30 day shred not seeing results...why?

Options
Hi,
Im new to mfp so please bear with me! LOL . Tomorrow I will be on day 24 of 30DS (without having a day off) and have been very careful with what I eat. I havent followed a certain diet rather I have cut out all the nice food! lol. However, I put 5 lb on in the first week! I am now 1lb off the wieght I was before 30DS so i havent actually lost any weight. I took my measurements too and I havent lost any inches either. On the plus side, I feel loads better and look like ive lost weight/inches but then i get annoyed with the scales and the tape measure! Has anyone else experienced this??? I will complete 30DS just to say if miracles happen in the last 6 days. Any advice would be gratefully received! Thanks xx:sad:

Replies

• punkychikk
    Options
    i too lost major inches (17) overall on my 1st round of 30 day shred and not A SINGLE POUND!!! it was very frustrating....after talking to my doctor she suggested for my specific body needs, i need to change up my exercise every couple of days which has really helped!! i do a little 30DS, a little TurboFire and my own jogging/biking and I see much faster results.....you may want to have a doctor or nutritionist help. Every body is different.
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Inches and how you feel > # on a scale

Remember that!
  • 3Daughtersin2015
    3Daughtersin2015 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I did the 30 day shred as well, and I was actually just going to post about this. I just took my measurements, and i'm the EXACT SAME! I can tell I've lost weight, people tell me I've lost weight the scale even says I've lost weight, but that stupid tape measure. I really don't get how the weight can go down, but the measurements can stay the same.
  • mkayy1218
    Options
    Well this depends on a lot of things. People who have more to lose will generally lose faster. If you only are looking to shed a few pounds it will be harder to do. Since you put on 5 lbs and now are down 1 from the original, you technically have lost 6 pounds in 3 weeks. I would keep with it and maybe avoid high salt foods that may cause bloating
  • LesIsMoreXX
    Options
    Hi there,

I'm only on day 9 of the 30DS but I have already started seeing results. But for the first few days I gained about 4 pounds. Now the scale is finally going down and I can physically see the change in my body.
    Are you keeping track of your calories, sugars and protein etc? I know you had mentioned that you aren't following the 30DS diet but that you've been eating sensibly. But do you log it? There's been times when I've not logged and thought I was eating really well but sometimes you would be shocked to know what's really in some of the foods you eat.
    My friend did the 30DS and didn't do the diet but she was eating well and didn't notice much of a change. Food is definitely the biggest factor in this program, I think, because the exercises themselves don't burn that much.

Also, tape measures are a great way to track weight loss progress but even they can be inaccurate. You might measure in a different spot, squeeze the tape harder etc. and it can throw it off.
  • lupo316
    lupo316 Posts: 26
    Options
    Just throwing in my two cents, but I'm no doctor. If you go from zero to 60 in terms of diet and exercise, your body will "freak out" and lock down thinking that you're starving and you're going to need all the fat and energy in your body you can spare, so it will actually burn as little as possible to ensure you can function and live, but not necessarily burn with the intention of dropping weight and sustaining your health. Like a starvation mode of sorts. If you stick with it and it becomes your new normal, your body will eventually adapt and turn on. That's my understanding, at least. Think of it like advanced plateu! :P
  • CHN_
    CHN_ Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome!! As for your problem, to call it that; It could simply be that you still don't eat "right". I suggest logging everything you eat here for a few weeks, and see how that goes. While keeping up with training. Perhaps add something else on top of the 30DS, to mix it up. Drink at least 8 cups of water a day as well.

And you have already done the best part, which is join here! I only joined a month ago, but it has already changed my life.
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    You are supposed to have a rest day every 6 days on the 30DS, this allows your muscles to recover and dump a lot of the water used to repair the muscles used.

Drink more and remember you can't out exercise your diet. If the diet is wrong the weight will be too,

Surely how you look to the world is more important than the number you see in private.
  • Camberries7
    Camberries7 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 30DS and doing the 10K trainer (similar to the couch to 5K) and I have been seeing about a 2-3 lb per week loss. If you are looking for weight loss, you will need to do cardio for that since the video is mostly for toning. I am not sure how much you are eating, but I eat a solid 1200 calories a day and it seems to do the job for me.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    the 1st time i did 30 ds i lost no lbs at all ( gained 3-4 lbs and didn't lose it till i was finished it) and minimal inches. i think it was .5 inch off my waist, thighs and 1 inch off my hips and belly. I was very disappointed... I then did rin30 a month or so later and i then lost the same and a little more off it as well and again NO lbs!!!! I am doing my second round of 30ds right now, just finished day 5 and i hope i can get atleast the same small results once again. It's nothing to scream about but it's better then nothing.... i just feel so ripped off as so many see such fab results...
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Are you only doing 30DS or are you incorporating other types of activities in too? Are you eating enough? Are you logging your better eating habits?

I just finished 30 DS last week, not 30 days straight through but monday-friday. I also used my Wii Fit and went for 2-3 mile walks most days. I lost at least 10 over all inches from the major areas and somewhere around 7 pounds during it.

I remember reading from some interview with Jillian that 30DS is only marketed as a straight 30 day program, but not meant to be. She said that you should take a day or 2 break between, as you see fit, and incorporate other cardio into the program.
  • maddiejonich
    Options
    Thank you so much for you comments. I have been keeping a food diary but not counting how many calories. Ive just done my food diary on here for today and I have only eaten 545 calories today therefore need to eat more! Could this be why Im not losing weight??? Think my body is clinging onto what it can. I dont have a lot of weight to lose at all. I weigh 8st 6lbs and am 5ft 4 but prior to 30DS I was about 8 stone but wobbly! lol xx I was hoping just to tone up!
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    In addition to what everyone else has told you, I'd liek to point out that if you're expecting the kind of results that you see in the before/after photos -- most of the people who do the 3DS and have fantastic visible and otherwise-tangible results (eg. weight loss) are combining it with additional cardio. A lot of the before/after pictures I've seen say (in very tiny print, of course) that it's 3DS + 1 hr of cardio per day.

Still, it's hard to believe you actually GAINED weight at first. That's got to be frustrating. That workout isn't easy (I know, I'm doing it now) and to not see any results would seriously bother me. I'm not doing it for weight loss, just a way to ease into strength training for a mud run I have coming up, so I'm not expecting to shed inches or pounds... Still... Hang in there. That's got to be hard.
  • maddiejonich
    Options
    I feel ripped off too and disheartened when i see all the fab results everyone else gets! I have already ordered ripped in 30 and plan to start that after 30ds...im hoping that works
  • cwashkowiak
    cwashkowiak Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I also experienced the same thing, I am on day 8 (I haven't skipped a day) and I had a 1 pound gain. :( I am keeping track of my calories and only adding calories if I do something extra that day, like run or ride my bike (which I've been trying to do daily also for at least 30 min) It's discouraging, but my clothes seem to fit a little easier, so I must be toning. I can feel it working my muscle. I'm just going to finish the 30 days, then I will probably start doing several different things, to change it up. God knows I have plenty of videos and workout equipment I can put to good use :)
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Oh, and just a suggestion that has helped me get more from the 30DS -- increase your weights if you can. The first time I did it, I used 3lb weights, and now I'm doing it with 5lb. It makes some of the moves A LOT harder... Especially the side lunge w/ raise in the 1st 10-day set. Killer. :-/
  • maddiejonich
    Options
    Oh, and just a suggestion that has helped me get more from the 30DS -- increase your weights if you can. The first time I did it, I used 3lb weights, and now I'm doing it with 5lb. It makes some of the moves A LOT harder... Especially the side lunge w/ raise in the 1st 10-day set. Killer. :-/

Im using 5lb weights :-(
  • KristenEvans77
    KristenEvans77 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for you comments. I have been keeping a food diary but not counting how many calories. Ive just done my food diary on here for today and I have only eaten 545 calories today therefore need to eat more! Could this be why Im not losing weight??? Think my body is clinging onto what it can. I dont have a lot of weight to lose at all. I weigh 8st 6lbs and am 5ft 4 but prior to 30DS I was about 8 stone but wobbly! lol xx I was hoping just to tone up!

Yes!! For sure that could be what is happening! I got frustrated early on and I was eating less than I was required every day. I eventually started getting a message when I closed the day that said, Your body is in starvation mode. You need to eat more or your body will start using up muscle to compensate! So I bet if you eat what you are supposed to, add some cardio (running, walking, biking, anything that you enjoy and can do for 30 minutes or more each day) I think you will start getting more results!
    Good luck!
  • maddiejonich
    Options
    Thanks for that! I will focus on eating my 1200 calories every day and see if that makes a difference :wink:
  • samiam321123
    samiam321123 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    When I did it last year I gained at first too, I chalked it up to my muscles holding on to water to help repair themselves. I think I only dropped a couple of lbs while doing it then dropped more weight immediately after I stopped doing the workout.