which do you prefer..... exercising alone or with a partner?

Options

Replies

• ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    He will only "drag you down" if you let him. My husband went running with me once and I just sprinted ahead and then back to him over and over. That being said, I definitely prefer to work out alone.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    BOTH!

I like exercising to DVD's alone, but enjoy running with a friend - due to his work commitments he's now very behind me - but there are ways around that, I can run ahead and then run back to meet him etc. Plus knowing I'm meeting someone make me keep workout dates when I want to skive.

I think you should try it - if it doesn't work them it doesn't work - but you might inspire them and they might make you work harder :happy:

Try it, and then decide :happy:
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE my crossfit class. That said, I also LOVE running alone.
  • LinaBo
    LinaBo Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I prefer to work out alone, that's just how I've always done it... with the exception of those times when I really wish I had a spotter. I find it difficult to find someone who is at this stage of the weight loss journey, female, and as serious about lifting as I am.

If he's at a far different level than you, it might be tricky. I think that if you want to help him and are feeling generous, and he can't afford a personal trainer on a regular basis, maybe arrange to go to meet up at the gym some times and give him tips on how you got started/spot him when he REALLY needs it, but otherwise split up and you each do your own thing. Depending how much of a newb he is, just being pointed in the right direction and knowing he's got someone at the gym who's got his back if he is really stumped on something could be the confidence boost he needs. Just as long as figuring out his own routine doesn't cut too much into accomplishing your own.
  • Carfoodel
    Carfoodel Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I like working on my own in the gym so don't like company, headphones on, music in the zone. when someone used to go to the gym with me, they wanted it as a social experience and it drove me a bit bonkers that thye wanted to chat all the time when I just wanted to blast through my latest PB.

My eldest son (21 on Sunday) has just joined the gym and it's challenging as he has asperger's - so at the moment I am giving him a lot of help till he gets more confident.- I have found that I sometimes pop along to fit in extra (solo) sessions so that I can spend the time at a relaxed pace when he is there - he doesn't have the capability as yet to just go onto another machine if I am still working on one and he has finished one of his- so he sometimes just stands behind me until I finish.( which can be a bit unnerving if you forget to watch out for it :laugh: ) I am obviously patient and supportive of him but if it was anyone but my son I just couldn't do it lol. For example if the weights area is busy, he can't use it - so we have to switch to cardio and then do weights at home etc. bottom line is that I am immensly proud of the fact that although the whole gym thing is a mass of challenges for him - he still makes himself do it as he wants to get healthy and he is getting better and stronger all the time and if I can help him I will :)

My youngest son also wants to join the gym but I am really reluctant as he is mega competitive with me and I know he would spend his whole time trying to best me - but I am pretty competitive too and I just know it would end up being a game rather than my happy zen time - bet I come across as a selfish ***** now hahaha
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    Punching myself in the face, while sometimes satisfying, just isn't the same as doing it to a partner. Also, I am not flexible enough to deliver a kick to my head with any sort of force even approaching "deadly".

My buddies never work out with me. They always ask me if they can and then end up sleeping through the day or passed out on the floor of a gross bar hag. My workout partners are always other dudes who train with my same coach or lifting with a trainer.

Oh, I forgot about Blue. Blue will go hiking or running with me at any time. Bonus points if there are cats or other furry critters to motivate her.
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I think I prefer to work out by myself. That way I get to focus more on the machines I want to do and how long I want to spend there without worrying about what my friend is up to. :)
  • Sherylmarlee
    Sherylmarlee Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Most definitely alone at the gym...need to do my thing and move on. But, prefer, need really a running partner for the trails. Isolated trails in the woods with hungry bears scare me! :)
  • direwolfprincess
    direwolfprincess Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Alone. It is the only alone time I get and it is well used for my physical and mental health.
  • sefrank
    sefrank Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I like to workout solo...That is my "me" time and time to de-stress. I do workout with a trainer once a week though cuz I know he will push me, especially with strength training. If you want to try it out go for it but don't feel like you have to. Also if it doesnt work out you don't have to continue.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I find it's occasionally fun to work out with someone else, but in general I prefer to work out alone - I like to feel free to focus on whatever I want to do, at my own pace, without having to be simultaneously thinking about someone else.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I work out at a private gym. Which means I have the benefit of being accountable to a personal trainer...but, I don't have to exercise around a bunch of people I don't know or that are only there to feed their egos.
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Working out alone for me. The day I have to depend on someone else being in the room with me to help give me motivation is the day I just up and forget it. I have the willpower and motivation and if I didn't I would go find it for myself and just make myself do it regardless.

My cousin has bribed me with so many things, gifts, luxuries, gym memberships if I come work out with her and I'v come to the point now of just ignoring her texts and phone calls. If she's that lazy and can't do it now on her own and thinks that all it takes is for me to be there with her to get herself on a treadmill, she is sadly mistaken. There comes a time where you just got to pull up your big girl panties and get it done. Don't rely on others. I have friends who have workout partners and they still slack and screw off. And I have some who have partners and it works for them too but they're dedicated athletes.
    I am NOT saying that is the case with anyone here, but a lot of times you see more people screwing off in groups than you do when you're alone focusing on just you. I can tell you now, the first time my workout partner was even a nanosecond late for our workout I would can him or her and give them their walking papers. But if you're someone who already workouts a lot alone but feels like you need to get yourself a workout partner maybe for the companionship or something make sure you get someone as dedicated as yourself. Too many times have people made excuses why they cant work out and you're stuck there pissed off and then what?
  • PhotogNerd
    PhotogNerd Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I work out alone. This way if I'm not feeling it, I don't ruin someone else's workout schedule.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Alone. Every time I worked with a partner they either didn't stick with it or weren't able to work out at the same times I could.

I make separate plans to do active stuff with my friends, but keep my daily exercise for me.
  • fab50G
    fab50G Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Alone. It's not a social event for me. It's my time and I want to be able to focus on what I'm doing.
  • WendyFitMomCHANGED
    WendyFitMomCHANGED Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I prefer working out ....... "ALL BY MYSEEEEEELLLLLLLFFFFFF"
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Alone. I like doing my own thing, in my own time.

Agreed. The gym time is my "me" time.

Having said that my mom is a bodybuilder and anytime I can workout with her and get some free training I totally do!

(I moved away though :sad: That's why I'm fat again. Haha)
  • ohmariposa
    ohmariposa Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    alone...I am very social by nature but I feel that when I work out it is ME time...
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    My youngest son also wants to join the gym but I am really reluctant as he is mega competitive with me and I know he would spend his whole time trying to best me - but I am pretty competitive too and I just know it would end up being a game rather than my happy zen time - bet I come across as a selfish ***** now hahaha
    You hardly sound selfish. I use to volunteer my time as a respite provider and worked with kids with Autism and Aspergers and I know how hard it is for them to focus or feel comfortable. But dang give your son credit for getting out of the house and in a huge social environment like that one. That's awesome. One of my kids that I use to work with who had Aspbergers was so nervous around crowds and even at family functions and it took years to get him to even want to celebrate Christmas parties with his family. Your son sounds like he's doing good and getting out there. I would be proud if that were the kid I was put to work with. Good luck to both of you. :D