Where's the MFP crunchy mama/daddy tribe???

Options
13»

Replies

• bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Here! My former coworkers nicknamed me "Earthmama". :bigsmile: Homebirthing, homeschooling, family cloth, make our own herbal infusions, syrups, tinctures, and salves to treat our illnesses...
    I use to babywear, but now the older children often "hog" the baby and bring her to me when she's ready to nurse. lol
    My dream is a homestead with chickens and goats and a big garden.
  • Brigskis
    Options
    Well I don't have any babies yet, but I have done tons of research (my husband has pointed out that when something scares or intimidates me, I research it to death until it doesn't seem scary anymore.... having kids falls into that category!) - and I plan on having our future babies at home, ECing, babywearing... the whole bit. It's funny because my husband couldn't be farther from 'crunchy,' but when it comes to the baby topic he's totally on board for all these things. :)
  • seaKind
    seaKind Posts: 136
    Options
    i'm late, but I'm here (typical):laugh: ...
    yay so glad to find a crop of crunchy pals here! I'm not all the way crunchy (formula, b/c my bebes were adopted, no cloth diapers b/c, well, gross) but we drink raw milk, i make baby food, we buy coconut oil in bulk, we cosleep, l I wear my babies as long and much as possible (my fav way to burn lots o calories!!!), and i plan to homeschool. Does that qualify me? Glad to be here! :smooched:

PS- i may not be so very crunchy, as i don't know what most of the abbreviations mean... so if anyone has a few spare moments to define :) ...
  • seaKind
    Options
    We still don't own a television, though! :)
    oh that's my goal, but w a tv junkie hubby, it a pipe dream.
    he did concede to no cable, which is a Huge blessing!
  • diadojikohei
    diadojikohei Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Only just seen this and wasn't sure what a crunchy was either!

But I fed my 4 til they were 1, they slept in our bed until they didn't want to, and I made all my own food for them. They all starfted with pureed avocado and banana with a bit of mummy milk, and loved it!

We lived in Hong Kong for my first two so I had no family and hubby was away a lot so I did what feels natural with no one telling me otherwise!

Unfortunately I have a leaky heart valve and I wan't allowed a home birth but I got out of hospital asap, 1 and a half hours after having no 4, no less!

I've never really had any serious food issues with them either and just had to sit in silence at mummy group when everone else was agonising over their children refusing to eat any vegetables!

My oldest (almost 20) chose to go and work with special needs children (and loves it) instead of going to university so it's obviously rubbed off on him too!
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    I am a crunchy mama. But my kids are now 23, 17, and 14.

kinda hard to babywear a teenager LOL
    Though I would pay to watch it!
  • BubbleGumKisses
    BubbleGumKisses Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVA-A0RqkhM

**** crunchy mom's say.... LMAO
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I am a crunchy mama. But my kids are now 23, 17, and 14.

kinda hard to babywear a teenager LOL
    Though I would pay to watch it!

ROTFL Right??
  • molly_grue
    molly_grue Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I Co-Sleep, BF and Babywear, does that count? :D
    I'm not sure if this counts as Extended BFing but I BFed my daughter until she was 20 months and plan to go at least that long with my son (he's 9 months now).
  • impyimpyaj
    impyimpyaj Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Am I the only hardcore ”crunchy” (or weird depending on who reads this lol) mama around here? Where my cloth diaperin', baby wearin', BFing, BLWing, ECing, EBFing, home birthing, etc etc people at?? Anyone??

Somehow I feel like cloth diapering and EC are at odds with one another... :tongue:

But you can count me in. Except for the EC and the home birth, although I did birth with a midwife in a freestanding birth center. So it's like middle ground.
  • marie_cressman
    marie_cressman Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely weird, but I wouldn't say I'm crunchy. LOL :wink:

I clean with homemade cleaning supplies, but I didn't cloth diaper or breast feed (I didn't produce enough). I did wear my kids though when we were out shopping! But no I wouldn't consider myself crunchy. hehe I do, however, love all you strong awesome crunchy mommas! I have tons of crunchy friends!
  • hdsqrl
    hdsqrl Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    My kids are about to head off to college, but I went through a midwife with both of them (no drugs beyond some awful-tasting tea, heh), and breastfed both for a year. As another poster noted, it's more difficult to be super-crunchy during their teen years, but now that they're approaching adulthood, I'm able to get my crunchy back on again in other ways. I keep telling my husband that once the kids are gone, he's going to see a whole new side of eating, haha. ;)

We've been gradually working our way in that direction for a few years now, though, so it shouldn't be too much of a shock for him. It's more a shock for other people who haven't a clue what it's like to be crunchy and are suddenly presented with our natural lifestyle.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Though I am crunchy, I'm not anti-technology or even particularly anti-media. We own a TV (2 of them actually), computer (desktop and laptop), ipad, and my husband and I both have iphones. My teen sons have ipods and my grown daughter has a blackberry. As far as television/media consumption went with my children I felt in small doses television helped them to become critical thinkers and enhanced their abilities to analyze and engage with media. As a crunchy person I feel it's important to know what's going on I the mainstream world...especially if you are an activist and want your children to have activism as a part of their lifestyles.

Though my kids are older, they are still crunchy, earthy people. This is who we are, what we do. I still have a garden and grow food. I still can food and my kids help me with that. I'm no longer a vegetarian (I was for 24 years and raised my kids vegetarian as well), but my daughter and older son still are. I still make many of my own clothes but my children all prefer store-bought clothes now. They do go to school (and always have) but they still continue with their own independent studies in the summer.

We have long been believers of gentle discipline so my kids were raised without the use of hitting or spanking as discipline. Which is really great during the teen years because if ANY thing makes you want to strike a child it's that teen attitude, my word. LOL! So it's good I don't believe in hitting children because there have been times...teenagers can make you go there. Ha ha! But overall I like the teen years, it is amazing to see your children blossom into adulthood.
  • apedeb09
    apedeb09 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I babywear and I was breastfeeding but had to stop due to supply issues :/ I miss it alot.
  • Mhaney
    Mhaney Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    No judgement on the movement, but I HATE the word crunchy!

THIS
  • seaKind
    Options
    found some:
    CD--cloth diapering
    EBF--exclusively/extended breastfeeding
    CS--co-sleeping
    AP--attachment parenting
    NFP--natural family planning
    TTO--tea tree oil
    ACV--apple cider vinegar
    BS--baking soda
    ERF - Extended Rear Facing
    BW - Baby Wearing?
    NC-Natural Childbirth
    EVCO-Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
    EC-Elimination Communication
    UC-Unassisted Childbirth
    HB-Homebirth
    VBAC-Vaginal Birth After C-section
    HBAC-Home Birth After C-section
  • karmamaof2
    Options
    Hi! I'm a crunchy mama to 5 yo twins.

Awwww how fun (and busy lol)!! What a neat experience, twins - ! I've often wondered what that would be like. So similar and yet so different I suppose, like any other set of siblings, except a unique relationship having literally been together since conception. :)

In the beginning it was super hard with 2 needy humans who wanted to nurse constantly, but as they started to get older it got easier. They are super close, so there is always someone there to play with (and fight with, lol). My son nursed until just past 3, and my daughter went until 3 1/2. I think that's the main thing they did differently in the early years. Most everything else was done together, holding hands, with big goofy grins. Now, they are starting to be more independent with their interests, but still share a really special bond.
  • jawheb
    jawheb Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Had all 3 of my babies natural. Biggest baby was 10lbs 1 oz. Breastfed all 3 for one full year! I have a 14 yr old girl, 8 year old boy, and a 2 year old boy and today was his birthday :)
  • concerto3
    concerto3 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Not a mama yet but I so share a lot of these same values and ideas, this thread has been a great, enlightening read so far!