Does losing weight change your shoe size?

Options
I pulled out some shoes from a few years back looking for something dressy and put on an old pair of Macs I used to wear at work, they fit quite snugly at the time and they were supportive and comfortable.

Only to discover they were A) Incredibly heavy and B) About 2 sizes too big.

Has weight loss changed my shoe size? Has this happened to anyone else?

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I pulled out some shoes from a few years back looking for something dressy and put on an old pair of Macs I used to wear at work, they fit quite snugly at the time and they supportive and comfortable.

Only to discover they were A) Incredibly heavy and B) About 2 sizes too big.

Has weight loss changed my shoe size? Has this happened to anyone else?

It has for me. I am typically a 15 size 2E width. I found that I need to tie them more snugly (is that a word? lol) than usual. I tried a 14 size 2E width and it fit fine. It just depends on the brand and type of shoe.
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    YES I think so I've lost 51 lbs so far and for the past few weeks I noticed all my cute summer shoes are waay to big!! : ( so I'm not sure what size I wear now ... My shoe size was a 10 now ?!? Possibly a 9-9.5
  • deviantcupcake
    deviantcupcake Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I went down a shoe size a couple of years ago, after losing a fair bit of weight.

It was amazing! I went from feeling like a bit of a giant to being able to buy shoes just about anywhere!
  • Illona88
    Illona88 Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Off course.

You lose the fat around your feet as well.
  • mogletdeluxe
    mogletdeluxe Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yep! Used to be a UK 7 (typically in wide settings), now I'm a 6.5 in normal settings. Who knew I had flabby feet?!
  • Arrabindi
    Arrabindi Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Yes. 12 kg ago I wore a European size 38, now I always wear thick socks to make my size 37 feet fill out my shoes :)
  • mickeymygrey
    mickeymygrey Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    yes it does, especially if you look at width fittings, the more weight you carry the more spread of your foot and bones, think of one of those stress balls if you press on it then it gets wider if you put less pressure on it it reduces its width in comparrison.
  • Tatiyanya
    Tatiyanya Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    It does. I think mostly cos you do loose fat all around but the deal breaker is the fact that less you weight - less strain you put on your legs- less swollen they are. Calf size is influenced by ammount of excercise you do on em, but overall I can finnaly wear knee and up high boots :D

I used to be 39-40 when at 100+ kg. Now at ~75 I am 38-39
  • dawson55510
    dawson55510 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Defo changes the witdh of your feet
  • emmamiso5
    Options
    I was just noticing this the other day. Definitely a NSV!
  • no1canadianangel
    Options
    You guys are getting me sooo excitedddddd LOL I wear size 11 wide and its almost impossible for me to find shoes... god I cant wait and hope my feet shrink too lol
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    When I was 335 lbs I wore a size 11 wide or 11 1/2 wide depending on the brand. Now I wear a 10 normal at 210 lbs.
  • lisadlocks
    lisadlocks Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Yes all of my shoes are at least a 1/2 size too big. I have always had skinny narrow feet but apparently weight loss makes a difference in the size of your feet for all the various reasons mentioned in the post so far.
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I am not too sure that it actually changes the lenght of your feet... but your feet do have fat on them, and when heavier they are wider, etc.. So losing does usually mean you will go down a size and width. At my heaviest I wore a US 12 Wide, I can now get into US 11M, but my foot is still 11.5 inches long and always was. I'd give anything to be like a size US10 !!

Now what has shrunk! is my height! It was ever so annyoing to have folks say I looked shorter when I lost 150lbs, I guess I lost the fat on my heat and feet or something, as I am 3/4" shorter, but then with age comes shrikage and if you have OA I imagine it is sooner rather than later. I mourn my lost 3/4" !
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Yes my feet shrank...and I am delighted that my shoes are no longer tight on my feet!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I went up a size after gaining weight in two pregnancies. It stands to reason that the opposite would be true as well.
  • stakoc94
    stakoc94 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    With two kiddos and weight gain I went from a 9.5 to a 12 (during pregnancy). I am looking forward to shrinking feet so I can shop in my shoe closet :wink:
  • trelm249
    trelm249 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    It can.
  • SkinnyBeth4Life
    SkinnyBeth4Life Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I went from having to wear double wide shoes (I remember the day I found out they made those :no way:) to being able to by regular shoes in my actual length. Before, I'd have to wear bigger shoes just to accommodate my (non-hairy) hobbit feet!
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    I went from a 10.5 Wide (US) to a 9.5/10 normal.