Serious Q: When you eat and get diarrhea...

Options

Replies

• TrinaJ11
    TrinaJ11 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh:

I needed that laugh. Thanks.
  • JFae32
    JFae32 Posts: 15
    Options
    -10 for each plop

lol
  • deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    how many of the calories do you add to your diary?

All of them. Doesn't matter how they came out.....or when.

but why add calories if my body didn't asborb them? It's like fiber, it has calories, but since your body doesn't absorb it they put 0 cals on the label.

As someone already said, the food doesnt go through you that quickly. Its your LAST meal that you are eliminating. So should you go back and remove THOSE calories? No. Because those calories were already absorbed.

troll post or not...I have had lettuce come out my rear. Maybe not that quickly, but I do think it is a valid question....If it comes out looking like it went in, I would say a partial calorie adjustment would be called for.

having bits come out is NOT looking like it did when it went in. as soon as you put food into your mouth and chew digestion has begun. what you are expelling is just the empty cell walls or fiber. the nutrients have been removed. if you want to deduct calories for that bit of undigested plant matter then go ahead it is . 000001 of a calorie I think.

so if I chew a piece of food in my mouth and spit it out, I've gained all the calories because it looks different than when it went in?

Logic fail.

that is not going through the body is it? the topic here was when the person was spitting food out the *kitten*
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    how many of the calories do you add to your diary?

All of them. Doesn't matter how they came out.....or when.

but why add calories if my body didn't asborb them? It's like fiber, it has calories, but since your body doesn't absorb it they put 0 cals on the label.

As someone already said, the food doesnt go through you that quickly. Its your LAST meal that you are eliminating. So should you go back and remove THOSE calories? No. Because those calories were already absorbed.

troll post or not...I have had lettuce come out my rear. Maybe not that quickly, but I do think it is a valid question....If it comes out looking like it went in, I would say a partial calorie adjustment would be called for.

having bits come out is NOT looking like it did when it went in. as soon as you put food into your mouth and chew digestion has begun. what you are expelling is just the empty cell walls or fiber. the nutrients have been removed. if you want to deduct calories for that bit of undigested plant matter then go ahead it is . 000001 of a calorie I think.

so if I chew a piece of food in my mouth and spit it out, I've gained all the calories because it looks different than when it went in?

Logic fail.

that is not going through the body is it? the topic here was when the person was spitting food out the *kitten*

Just cuz it goes through the body, doesn't mean it was processed to the fullest extent. That's why there are "digestion times." I've swallowed plenty of lego men in my time, this is a subject I know. Tyvm!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    bump
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    no matter what you eat it takes hours to go through your system, you're just passing stool that is foods youve eaten previously, hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

That helped! :noway:

Jesse
    You may be a personal trainer but you are not a gastroenterologist. As a sufferer of ulcerative colitis for the past 30 years, I know your answer to be untrue. Before I was diagnosed, my family physician told me the same thing. Pretty much telling me I was lying when I told him it only took an hour for foods to pass at times. Ulcerative colitis is a very serious disease and it should be controlled with medication, at the very least. Please stick to your area of expertise!
  • spazz_face
    Options
    Don't eat the Waffle House Special.

Hahaha
  • avocado12
    avocado12 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    Umm I'd log the calories still, and probably not eat that again!
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    Umm I'd log the calories still, and probably not eat that again!

You lack a thirst for adventure. Try it. Just once. You'll be surprised how addictive it is.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    -10 for each plop

I lold.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    Options
    -10 for each plop

I lold.

but it doesn't account for a continuous outpour. There must be a time or flow rate associated with that as well for proper measurement.
  • traclinda2
    Options
    Thank you for the laugh!!! That response had me crying. I agree w/you though.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I would say all of the calories count. For anyone fighting a bout of diahhrea.. eat one medium size apple. This works, the fiber binds the loose stool.

Uh, not for everyone. Fruit, including apples, actually cause me to have diarrhea...thanks IBS!
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    -10 for each plop

I lold.

but it doesn't account for a continuous outpour. There must be a time or flow rate associated with that as well for proper measurement.

-10 for each plop (in the unfortunate case that it's more of an entirely liquid situation, -10 for every second)
    -20 for the run to the toilet
    -40 for the walk of shame afterwards
  • hajenkatt
    hajenkatt Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Holy crap, I am totally craving a scattered, covered and smothered right now.
  • tks1975
    tks1975 Posts: 1
    Options
    But if you are passing recognizable food that you ate less than an hour ago, how many calories are you actually absorbing? This is not a case of typical diarrhea, mind you. I'm currently being tested for Crohn's or other IBDs. But for calorie counting in the meantime, how do you think I should proceed?
  • thatstheticket
    thatstheticket Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The small intestine, beginning with the duodenum, absorbs nutrients. The stomach does not, as its main purpose is to churn our usually only partially chewed food, like a slow blender, and to break down larger nutrient molecules into smaller ones with enzymes. The large intestine (colon) absorbs water to harden stool and secretes mucus to aid in its passing, but does not absorb calories, either. The longer it remains there, the harder the stool, often leading to constipation.

Speeding up passage of food matter through the small intestine, theoretically, would decrease calorie absorption, since the peristaltic motion of the gut, over time, normally churns the matter to absorb nutrients inside and out of the food boli. This would be reduced with reduced time in the small intestine. However, the effect of acute diarrhea on caloric intake, or the exact rate of calorie absorption versus time spent in the gut, I'm not sure.
  • mamabanana
    mamabanana Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I am not expert and my opinions are based on what I have read/been told/etc...could it be a mild case of indigestion or food poisoning if the incident was just from waffle house special? or maybe your system was just intolerance of a food item/additive in the food. If there are problem that continue everytime you eat, consult a doctor.
    In anycase, I would logged it anyway. :)
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I disagree. I have eaten blueberries and within 30 minutes I **** and see a blueberry in the toilet.
    Real talk.

Edited to say: And it's not a blueberry I ate the day before. This is me eating blueberries for the first time in a month or so. Are you saying it's one of those from a month ago? :noway:
    Yes. It was a blueberry from a month ago. Blueberries are a superfood and your body stores superfoods in their whole form until it gets a replacement. In some cases, if you chew superfoods up or eat small pieces of them they will be reconstituted into their whole raw form in your gullet (the gullet is the organ responsible for superfood storage) - be very careful eating pomegranates. Your fresh blueberry was stored and the blueberry from a month ago was shat. Next time you eat a blueberry the last one you ate will be released from your gullet and shat but your body will hold onto it until then.

This thread is from two years ago but I think everyone needs to read this because it is absolutely golden.