what we've learned from the 2012 Olympic Games

Options
124»

Replies

• pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Also:

1. The US has terrible sportsmanship (by having fits when they get silver instead of gold)
    2. China still wins everything (diving)

Why don't you work your butt off for 4 years aiming at a gold medal and then see if you're not just a little disappointed for not achieving that. She's young and that's all she has worked for. I swear, some people need to give that poor girl a break.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Also:

1. The US has terrible sportsmanship (by having fits when they get silver instead of gold)

I don't see anything wrong with being disappointed with second place. That young lady's face happened to express her disappointment more than others, but I doubt she's the only one to have been unhappy with second place.

Seriously.

The amount of Mckayla Maroney hate that has been going on turns my stomach. She was a 16 year old girl who fell on her *kitten* in front of millions of people. Lips pursed, eyes to the side, avoiding eye contact, "please dont look at me" face? Yeah, that doesn't just sound like a scowl to me, it sounds like the face I make when I'm trying to not break down into tears.

And as said, yes, some people go to compete and know they probably won't medal so if they get bronze, they're ecstatic. But athletes like Maroney (who was the best vaulter in the world and a shoo in for the gold), or Jordyn Weiber (world champion who scored higher than most of the other countries but was left out because of the "2 person per country" rule) and Phelps (needs no explanation...) when they get silver or when they don't qualify, I think that yes, they are disappointed to be second place. And that's human.

Plus, they are on TV the ENTIRE time -- no time to compose themselves. Just like with Mckayla, she effed up. I would be so mad/disappointed in myself -- and people expect SMILES? It's not about the other person/team winning as much as effing up. It's one thing when you try your hardest and do your best and medal. It's another when you screw up in front of millions for something you've worked (and worked is an understatement) for...

& Everything the above two posters said.
  • Tamisha15
    Tamisha15 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've learned that anything is possible as long as you believe, work hard and never give up!!!!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Also:

I don't see anything wrong with being disappointed with second place. That young lady's face happened to express her disappointment more than others, but I doubt she's the only one to have been unhappy with second place.
    ^I'd have to agree. I think it's more about frustration with themselves rather than not winning gold. To them, they've worked so hard to get where they are and probably feel if they don't get gold, then they didn't do their best.
  • stephvaile
    stephvaile Posts: 298
    Options
    That Mary Poppins is the face of health care

if you had been watching properly you would realise what was being shown.
    1st we celebrated our nhs system which gives free treatment to everyone
    2nd was the children in beds gosh (GREAT ORMAND STREET HOSPITAL)which is a charity funded childrens hospital and at the same time we celebrated childrens literature ,== peter pan mary poppins, harry potter and so on thats why the characters came down at the same time as the children were in the hospital beds
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    We learnt that if YORKSHIRE was a COUNTRY instead of a COUNTY we would have come 15th on the Medals table. Very proud YORKSHIRE girl.
  • ruurik
    ruurik Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Things I've learnt:

Now the olympics have ended, I can stop watching 'Russia Today' to see what's going on in the world.

I learnt that the same day we put a spacecraft on Mars, a man jumped into a sandpit and thousands cheered.

Phelps not making a cameo appearance in the basketball as a 'fun substitute' makes me sad.

...and that I can't stop laughing at that 'walk race' event where they stick their arses out lol. *Mick Jagger dance*
  • lanie37
    lanie37 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    bump
  • paulaviki
    paulaviki Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    That Mary Poppins is the face of health care

if you had been watching properly you would realise what was being shown.
    1st we celebrated our nhs system which gives free treatment to everyone
    2nd was the children in beds gosh (GREAT ORMAND STREET HOSPITAL)which is a charity funded childrens hospital and at the same time we celebrated childrens literature ,== peter pan mary poppins, harry potter and so on thats why the characters came down at the same time as the children were in the hospital beds

Just to add the link is that all Great Ormond Street owns the rights to Peter Pan and has received a lot of funding from it. That was linked in to celebrate children's literature in general as the UK has some pretty famous writers!

Anyway what I learned from the Olympics was that us Brits can manage to host such a big event and should be given the world cup to host - we wouldn't even need to build any stadiums and it wouldn't be too hot to play in summer like it will be in Qatar!
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    That I love my country, and am actually patriotic.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    That the University of Texas is really good at producing Olympians :smile:

Hook em baby!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    Also:

^I'd have to agree. I think it's more about frustration with themselves rather than not winning gold. To them, they've worked so hard to get where they are and probably feel if they don't get gold, then they didn't do their best.

Obviously, I've got my girl McKayla's back here....but yeah, I got how she felt, and she's like 16 years old----she may be an Olympic gymnast BUT SHE'S A TEENAGER. Pretty sure all teenaged girls have mega 'tudes. When that lil Russian gymnast barely got second place in the all around, she broke down sobbing...I totally understand being disappointed with second place, considering how hard these athletes work!