Were you sporty as a child?

fteale
fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
I wasn't. I was TERRIBLE at sport at school. I have always hated team sports and have no hand to eye co-ordination, then I was diagnosed with asthma at 13. It wasn't until I started rowing at 15 that I found a sport that really suited me, and I was properly good at, and as a result of that I found I was a good runner too, and now run vaguely competitively. The rest of my family are utterly non-sporty, I grew up in the countryside with no other children around. Aside from rowing none of us were ever in a school sports team, ever, nor did we do any sport in the holidays. And yet my whole family are thin. It's weird. I think a lot of it is the team spirit thing. Genetically, I just don't have it! I do feel that my complete lack of sport genes has hindered me in life, though. I have the drive, but not the biology. And I still LOATHE team sports!

So were you a sporty child, or were you completely rubbish at it, like me?

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    I did softball and basketball in middle school, track and cross country in high school, and lacrosse in college. I was pretty sporty.
  • Mama_Mila
    Mama_Mila Posts: 511 Member
    Not to brag, but I'd say I'm totally athletic! I love playing different sports and I'm not bad at most but I never played any sports in high school...I was not very involved. I just didn't wanna dedicate all the time that coaches asked for! I liked my free time too much :)) I hope my son gets really involved though :))
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I was sporty. Definitely.
    Elementary school basketball team. And ran or rode everywhere. Played neighborhood sports (kickball, softball...)
    Skied

Junior high volleyball, basketball, swimming and track team.

High school I rode my bike everywhere I went. Loved PE class from elementary school through high school, and even took it as an elective after the requirement was satisfied.
    I also had a gym membership in high school.

In college I took at least one PE class a semester.

Loved sports.
  • scottg1024
    scottg1024 Posts: 224
    I wasn't sporty, but my grandfather sometimes called me "Sport." I was also told I was a "good sport." As a child I was made to wear a sport coat (usually some obnoxious plaid) and it usually matched my cousin's, who was two days older than me. Otherwise I never got near sports. I was a band geek.
  • pittskaa
    pittskaa Posts: 319 Member
    i played basketball and soccer starting in 2nd grade, and played them all the way up until my senior year of high school. i also did volleyball in high school. i LOVED sports. still do!
  • Bailey543
    Bailey543 Posts: 375
    I was not athletic at all, and now I love running. Odd. My PE teacher wouldn't believe it if he knew :)
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    I was on several school teams (softball, basketball, volleyball, gymnastics)..that's not to say I was any good at them, just that I played or was on the team...LOL Not a lot of big sports fans in my house growing up either so I was on my own. I enjoyed them all, just wasn't very good at them.
  • mandypizzle
    mandypizzle Posts: 633 Member
    In Elementary I was made fun of a lot and had zero confidence. I HATED PE because of that. But I was very good at gymnastics. Once I got a little older, like 7th grade, I changed schools and found that I loved sports and working out! I have been very active in many sports since then.
  • I was sporty. Softball when I was younger. Cheered for 6 years (middle & high school), ran track for 5, cross country for 3 and played varsity basketball for 3. It kept me in shape all year long! So far my 3 yr old son loves sports! He will get to play Upward Basketball with a local church early next year and I think he's going to enjoy it.
  • deaddivya
    deaddivya Posts: 102
    I pretty much always spent my time either reading or drawing and hated every kind of exercise.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    So, so. I am tall, so was always roped into playing netball either up front or at the back. I didn't actually enjoy netball until I was an adult and got to play on the wing. I also used to do quite well at long distance running, high jump, long jump and hurdles, but again I never liked it.
  • Tammi623
    Tammi623 Posts: 113 Member
    Yep up until Middle School

Softball
    Soccer
    Dance
    Swimming
    Ice Skating
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    I did fine with sports during PE class, though I wasn't comfy being on a team as the fat kid. When I wanted to sign up for high school sports, my GP refused to do a physical because he thinks girls shouldn't play sports.
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Been into sports all my life

Basketball from about 3 years old up to my senior year of high school, softball in middle school, then volleyball and tennis in high school too... Kinda focused more on academics in college, but offer up a great game of dodgeball, volleyball, basketball, tennis, or softball and I'm in there like swimwear! :bigsmile:
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 751 Member
    I hated sports!! Gym class, forget about it!! However, I did cheerleading and gymnastics from 4th grade until I was injured as a Jr in high school. I never looked at them as sports even though the really are. I just thought it was fun girly stuff.

I should have stuck with it. Instead I let myself get fat & now my Olympic dreams are ruined! :sad:
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    I like to THINK I was...but in all honesty I was a JV or "B" team at best. I TRIED my best and was very active, I just wasn't as coordinated as the other kids.
  • leo02098
    leo02098 Posts: 106 Member
    I played basketball right through middle and high school.
    Also ran track.
    But I never considered myself sporty.....as I was also a drama geek and an art fanatic.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    No. I only ever played softball...and I broke my leg doing it! LOL
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    I was in gymnastics and softball for 12 years. I also played soccer and basketball. When I got into high school I dove and was a cheerleader. I loved sports as a child and I still enjoy playing softball now and then.
  • predent
    predent Posts: 95
    Yep. I've been a swimmer my whole life. Weight gain happened once I stopped swimming. I was never the BEST at swimming on my team, but I was usually did really well in my events.