Why I'm Fat

Options

Replies

• rose_mortem
    rose_mortem Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    depression....
    and chocolate, popcorn, frosting, and ice cream every day....
    and I picked up a nasty soda habit...
    and the Freshman 15...
    and the it's Summer so I'll sleep & eat all day...
    and the social outings...
    and everything else...

but I'm here now and the past doesn't matter, cuz I won't do it again :smile:
  • ashleyconstantine
    ashleyconstantine Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Because I didn't give a crap about myself, now I do.

This... and now, I have a husband and kids that I need to be around for.
    My family has heart disease in it as well. 2/3 of my uncles died before they were 40 of it.
    Scary thought.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.

I could lay blame on my genetics, but that pretty much only says where my fat is going to reside when it shows up. Google image search Goddess of Malta, there is no doubt these are my relatives.

I could lay blame on the shoulders of my parents who were also severely obese and taught me to love rich fatty foods , to clean my plate and that food was celebration and comfort. But I'm an adult and I'm responsible for where I ended up since I became an adult.

I could say that I whacked on the layers in an attempt to hide myself from the world, it wouldn't be inaccurate, just not particularly effective.

When it comes down to it, I am fat because I ate way too much crap and wasn't active enough to burn it off.
  • lydia_the_tattooed_lady
    Options
    Yeah eating munchies while *ahem* under the influence*ahem* is what brought a lot of that on for me lol also i'm addicted to sweets : /
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    because until last year, being fit wasn't a priority.

now it is.

Ha, best answer.
    I was going to say genetics but that's such a cop out.

THIS.
  • Jonahyona
    Jonahyona Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Carbs and overeating.
  • PaleoRDH
    PaleoRDH Posts: 266
    Options
    God gave me a crap metabolism. And I love to eat and cook. But I'm not exactly "Fat.' Just big boned (JK!!!) I have to work extremely hard not to be fat.
  • Jewel0124
    Jewel0124 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I'm lazy and I like to eat.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I let physical inconveniences become excuses. Yes, I had a "bad hip" but I now know that it wasn't a MISSING hip. I could still do ****. I just was lazy. Now I have an artificial hip and I have never been more active. I shouldn't have let it become such an easy excuse.

That and sugary, delicious foods. When you're raised eating certain foods, you think they are "normal". I had to learn that pop as the only drink in the house and white wonder bread at every meal is not normal. Or shouldn't be.
  • imafatloser
    Options
    It's baby fat. Having babies made me fat...and then there were all those cookies I baked for the babies...and ate. ;)
  • WhySoCerealGirl
    Options
    I'm fat because Nutella was made...
  • DennyCakes
    Options
    Partly b/c I have PCOS but mostly b/c I'm a carb addict. I love bread, pizza, and pasta. I could probably live off of bagels with cream cheese if you let me. Also, I love anything fried, I'd eat a boot if it was fried. :laugh:
  • Intricatephoto
    Options
    My dads side of the family always ate terrible. Even as a ten year old I would go visit them and gain twenty pounds. My mom always cooked healthy meals....when she was home. Then between 18 and 20 years of age I was well for lack of a better term, starving myself. Then when I got a job and got on my feet, with a great boyfriend I got FAT. its happiness fat but fat nonetheless.
  • MrsT99
    MrsT99 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    As a veggie generally far too many carbs (in particular pasta) with no idea of portions
    Alcohol at uni did not help - and I was drinking stupidly calorific drinks.

Before I started I thought my diet was fine and wasn't sure where I was going wrong as I did not eat high fat food, but I did not look at calories in high carb food (I'm still guilty of this I often go over my carbs when set at 40% but I'm now within my calories)

Not getting up off my lazy backside for any exercise whatsoever besides walking to the car and up the stairs.
  • MFPBrandy
    MFPBrandy Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've always been a tad chubby, but emotional eating (damn PTSD) pushed me over the edge. Got fat on my first trip to Iraq, and never lost the weight. Now I'm working with a doc, learning to recognize hunger vs. emotional eating (so insidious!), and slowly decreasing the massive sugar binges that my doc calls "homemade Zoloft." Cardio does the same thing, only without the sugar crash and self-loathing.

Sometimes it still really sucks, but overall I'm feeling much better.
  • shannajojo
    shannajojo Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I'm fat because I eat poorly and do not exercise. I lack self-disciple and self-control with food.
  • 2muchsauce
    2muchsauce Posts: 1,078
    Options
    Tacos. I love to eat tacos.....
  • rastover1967
    Options
    I am fat because I lost sight of the things that matter most and because I take for granted that the good Lord has blessed me with good health. I lack self discipline and dedication in keeping my good health. It is funny when I look back at all the things I have been so successful at i.e job, raising children etc but I have the least success in losing weight which when you think about it seems far easier to eat right and exercise than it does to climb that corporate ladder or raise children.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Chocolate...
    I got married, my husband knew chocolate always made me happy. So good or bad things happen, he would bring home chocolate. 7 years later, I was fat.
  • littleaudrey85
    littleaudrey85 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Thyroid problems for 10 years now..lowest weight 97lbs, highest weight 213lbs. I'm short too (only 5ft tall), I eat a cookie & gain weight lol. I'm also addicted to anything sweet.. But I've decided to kick my thyroid's *kitten* & not use that as an excuse! Got my thyroid levels checked the other day & it was all normal! yay!!!