Painful chest when running?

So I have been using MFP for the last two weeks now, and exercising on a daily basis for almost a month and a half with the intention to tone up and gain some muscle. So far so good... until it comes to running. Every time I start to jog I can only go so far before getting a burning sensation in my chest and eventually have to slow down and stop. At the beginning of July I went to the doctor and he recommended me some antihistamines to clear up any allergies, hay fever and to breathe in steam 3-4 times a day as I have apparently had a chest infection 'dormant' for the last few months and hadn't stopped coughing up until the appointment. I have done as he suggested, and walk for at least 45 minutes everyday (apart from cardio etc) at a very brisk pace and even when I alternate jogging with walking I am still experiencing discomfort in my chest. I have always done sports including swimming, gymnastics, and netball but this only takes place when I try to jog.

I don't know if this is a common problem, or if I just need to battle it out.. and keep on trying. It is really disheartening passing by people jogging at the park! Help :(

Replies

• scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    It is pretty normal when first starting to run. It will go away after you have been running regularly for several weeks.

Starting to run from scratch is very hard but it gets easier pretty quickly. You just have to gut out the first few weeks.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Try doing the Couch to 5K program. It's designed for beginner runners to build up endurance. I'm doing it now and am having a blast! You'll get there eventually! Just keep at it. :)
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    i had the same problem and it turned out to be my gallbladder.... i had to have it removed...
  • KareninCanada
    KareninCanada Posts: 959 Member
    It might be "normal", but it's good that you're taking it seriously.

It might also be exercise-induced asthma. That's not an excuse not to exercise, though. lol) A couple of recommendations I've seen is wearing a mask if the air is cold, and taking fairly big doses of Vitamin C. I was looking into this for my husband a while ago.

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/web/page/normal/6728.html
  • Thank you everyone for the input, the initial plan was for me to get super fit over summer in time to join the Women's Rugby team at University.. guess that won't be happening any time soon haha.

I will definately look into the Couch to 5 K and EIA further!
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    I would go back to the doctor and ask him to get you checked out properly, such as a chest x ray and asthma test, just to make sure there is no underlying problems especially since this has persisted for a while, im sure its all okay but better to be safe. good luck with your running :)!
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    I would go back to the doctor and ask him to get you checked out properly, such as a chest x ray and asthma test, just to make sure there is no underlying problems especially since this has persisted for a while, im sure its all okay but better to be safe. good luck with your running :)!

I agree. It is best to be sure.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member

I agree. It is best to be sure.

I agree with this. Might as well rule that out first. If it is asthma, an inhaler can solve all your problems. My brother has asthma and has been running for over 30 years.

But otherwise, C25K is great. I used to wheeze like mad when I ran, even walking outside if it was cold, and I'm ok running in any weather now. You also might need to slow down at first. Run so slow you could almost walk faster.