Runners with big boobs?????

Options
i've been working out and would like to start jogging. two problems. 1-my knees. i was a catcher in softball for 12 years and it did some damage, but if i start out slow, i can take it. 2-i have pretty large boobs. my bra size is a 38DD. it hurts to run. any sugggestions for a really good sports bra with awesome support to tame them? i really don't want to go spend a ton of money on one bra either, maybe like $25-30 maximum and that's only if they're basically tethered to my chest.

Replies

• bbb84
    bbb84 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    bump for later... It's so hard to find an affordable sports bra that does it's job.

Also I feel your pain on the knee part... I've played ball since the bat was bigger than me all positions. Nothing like being told you have arthritis in your knees before 30, and of course my hard headed self still plays two surgeries later....
  • moran1917
    moran1917 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I use two bras. A normal underwire bra and a sports bra that is one size too small. Holds em tight in place- no jiggle. Occasionally I will have trouble with chafing underneath my boobs and I use body glide to deal with that. I get my sports bras at the running store and they cost about 54 bucks. I need the one that does up at the back, not the racer type as I cannot get those kinds on.

Just go to a store that sells sports bras and try them on. Jump up and down in the change room to make sure there is not a lot of movement.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I recently bought a sports bra from Kohls (and by recently I mean a couple months ago) that works pretty good for me. I'm not as big as you are (I'm a large C/small D), but I still need good support when I do any high intensity workout (running or Zumba). I'm pretty sure it was a champion, and fastens in the back like a regular bra, not a racerback sports bra. It was pretty affordable too, about $30 or so. I have never found a good supporting sports bra for less than $30 though, they tend to run in the $35-50 range around here.

ETA: I have a couple friends who wear a bra size close to yours, they usually do the 2 bra trick that PP described. Works great for them.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    I use two bras. A normal underwire bra and a sports bra that is one size too small. Holds em tight in place- no jiggle. Occasionally I will have trouble with chafing underneath my boobs and I use body glide to deal with that. I get my sports bras at the running store and they cost about 54 bucks. I need the one that does up at the back, not the racer type as I cannot get those kinds on.

Just go to a store that sells sports bras and try them on. Jump up and down in the change room to make sure there is not a lot of movement.

I have fairly large breasts and the sports bra i use is made by Under Armor and its labeled for high impact. I got mine at ****s or Sports Authority and i paid about 45-50 bucks and it has lasted me over 2 years. Another good feature that sold me is that it zipper closes in the front and criss cross in back. Otherwise i cant get them off. This has been the easiest i found for large boobs and good suppport. My boobs barely move now.
  • Werglum
    Werglum Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    When I started back running the biggest sports bra I could find (that I could afford) was a 16 F Triumph Triaction. It turned out to be the most awesome running bra ever!! I'm now down to a 14DD (which I think is a 36DD) and am mourning the fact that it is now far too big!! I also am a fan of wearing a pullover type bra over the top which helps to dull the bounce.
  • rissy3403
    rissy3403 Posts: 4 Member
    Options

I have fairly large breasts and the sports bra i use is made by Under Armor and its labeled for high impact. I got mine at ****s or Sports Authority and i paid about 45-50 bucks and it has lasted me over 2 years. Another good feature that sold me is that it zipper closes in the front and criss cross in back. Otherwise i cant get them off. This has been the easiest i found for large boobs and good suppport. My boobs barely move now.

^^ This Under Armour sports bra (High Impact for D/DD cups with the front zipper) is my ABSOLUTE FAVORITE! My DD boobs don't move at all in it...even running and in a high impact aerobics class. I've also tried the Fiona and Maia bras from Moving Comfort. They're very good and high quality, but the UA bra is unmatched in comfort and performance for me.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I agree with the Under Armor. It might be more expensive than what you are looking for, but you get what you pay for. I use the zip front, and my D's don't move at all, even while running a marathon.
  • LemonBurns
    LemonBurns Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Yes, Body Armour or Under Amour is AWEsome! And my hot pink Lulu Lemon bra ROCKS my world. BUT now my boobs are sadly gonzo - so I don't have to worry about it anymore.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Shock Absorbers - the MAX ones.

Keep my GG's well and truly anchored.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    sorry but you're not going to get a good supportive bra for high impact activities for that price. I'm 34I and i pay $65 for my enell and around $50 for my shock absorber.

both are well worth the price considering i get NO bounce and they last a long time. i know people who do the 2 bra thing and since the bras arent made to handle all that jelly they break down faster. so they might think they have saving $$ buy paying $30 for 2 bras 4 times a year, but i have enell's from 2 years ago that are still good and the only reason i've had to buy another is from weight loss.

by my math $65 is less than $120
  • szuszanna
    szuszanna Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I'm a 38DD also, and have found champion brand sports bras at TJ Maxx that work amazingly well and were only about $12-$15. The only down sides to the ones I have is that they kind of smoosh your boobs into a uniboob, and they can be difficult to get out of (they are the ones with the racer back, not the hooks or zippers). I have found that if you roll them up and over your boobs and then up your back/shoulder a little on one side before actually trying to pull them off its a little easier. I personally can't stand the 2 bra trick, since it seems to jab the under wire directly into me uncomfortably.
  • 14Michele
    14Michele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm a 30F and love my Shock Absorber and my Panache. After viewing myself in the mirror during a Body Attack class I sorted out the bra issue REAL quick!
  • Serafimangel
    Serafimangel Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    For me (32E) I use Marks and Spencer high impact, and no other bra. But what makes the real difference is a running top with one of those in built bra bits, though most assume if you are running you are an A-B cup, Elle sport do ones with quite good coverage. These really help.
  • kphelps1123
    Options
    thanks for the suggestions. the only reason i really don't want to pay a bunch of money for one right now is i know my bra size will change. back when i was 140 pounds (which is my goal weight. i'm 197 right now) i was a 36C. I just don't want to pay a bunch of money and only be able to wear it for a few months or less, depending on how fast the girls deflate
  • gbtesq
    gbtesq Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I am a 38 DDD and I would recommend the Enell bras! They are awesome but pricey. I have also used sports bras from Lane Bryant - a black front closure bra. I have several of them but they are only sold online. They work!
  • TT_luvs_fitness
    Options
    I like cheap so I wear my 7 dollar underlie Walmart bra with a cheap Walmart sports bra and a upper body shimmer all three together work great and the body shimmer works great on the belly too cause it holds in the heat so my belly is shrinking nicely. So double the benefit.

I have lost 30 pounds and still have a 36 DD they wot shrink even tho I have. I will maybe have to check out this under armor one they talk of for when I do super high impact workouts.
  • jacque1109
    jacque1109 Posts: 129
    Options
    2 bras--- I regular, 1 sport (about a size smaller)--- Hang in there, they will be the first to go. Promise.
  • realredhead79
    realredhead79 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I get chafing under my bra in the front and some in the back. Bodyglide and lubs don't work for me in those sections during the heat and humidity here in South MS. The best thing I've had to prevent chafing is PAPER tape. The medical tape kind. BEST idea I've ever learned.
    I use a Moving Comfort Fiona bra, but looking for something with different seams, as they may be the problem. It's not so bad in the winter, but in the summer, it's horrible.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I like my Champion bras that you can get at TJ Maxx or Ross or Marshall's. My absolute favorite though, is Moving Comfort (usually around $40). I have 3 of each of these and use them for everything exercise related.
  • jenf235
    jenf235 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the great info! I have been curious about this for a long time.