Protein - Supplements Vs Food when losing weight

Options

Replies

• Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    Question - why are you eating so few calories?
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I have all my protein intake from white meat, and yogurt, one week in of consistent dieting. Along with low sodium, I have lost 8 lbs this week alone. Check out my journal. "Thats all I got to say about that."
  • LauraThirty
    Options

That's what MFP suggests. Plus exercise of course which comes in at around 300 average for me. Nice muscles :wink:
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Make sure to track your sodium intake. That is what the body uses to RETAIN water. Too much sodium will cause your workouts to be somewhat ineffective. I have lost 4 lbs on one workout, but because I reduce sodium intake. Most of it was water weight, but hey, it makes the scale go down! You could eat 6000 mg of sodium in a day and not even know it. It is in sauces, chips, dressings, soups, seasonings, etc etc. Just watch it, get natural proteins (powder, in my opinion, is cheating, and you dont get to enjoy FOOD), and you will do fine! I have lost 8 lbs this week but I have only worked out 3.5 days.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

That's what MFP suggests. Plus exercise of course which comes in at around 300 average for me. Nice muscles :wink:

What is your height and weight? How much do train per week? Cardio and weights?
  • j_wilson2012
    Options

Keep in mind, dude. She is a woman. Look at you. I am pretty sure you have never eaten 1200 calories in your life! She is slender, and a woman. Our needs are different. Keep that in mind.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Dude, I prep women for comps ;)
  • j_wilson2012
    Options

Pageants, or weightlifting?
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    Make sure to track your sodium intake. That is what the body uses to RETAIN water. Too much sodium will cause your workouts to be somewhat ineffective. I have lost 4 lbs on one workout, but because I reduce sodium intake. Most of it was water weight, but hey, it makes the scale go down! You could eat 6000 mg of sodium in a day and not even know it. It is in sauces, chips, dressings, soups, seasonings, etc etc. Just watch it, get natural proteins (powder, in my opinion, is cheating, and you dont get to enjoy FOOD), and you will do fine! I have lost 8 lbs this week but I have only worked out 3.5 days.

Wow - well done on the weightloss! Seriously, that's great! Although I have to say, and i'm not making your achievments any less than they are, but when I was at college I found I could lose weight a lot easier than now. I can now diet for 4 weeks and only lose a pound where as before I could easily lose a stone for a weekend night out in 10 days. Boo hoo woe is me, hey ;)
  • Matt_Wild
    Options

Bikini, figure and fitness.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Dont worry bout it. Fat people lose weight quicker than slim people! :laugh:
  • LauraThirty
    Options

So I'm 5"11 and I weigh 168lbs. Virtually NO muscle mass at all. No fat on my arms hardly or chest/ back but a big old wobbly bottom and even wobblier tummy :)
    I'm doing cardio around 5 times a week for 40 minutes, sometimes more. and a weights circuit every other day then alternate stomach based workout/ leg based and arms/chest based workout. I use a bench and dumbells - tell me, is it true that I shoulddo heavier weights, less reps than loads of reps of lower weights? I do 15 reps at the moment and can't do anymore, it literally kills me. But it feels amazing afterwards, better htan lifting cans of beans 100 times over like cosmo would have me beleive I should!
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    Dont worry bout it. Fat people lose weight quicker than slim people! :laugh:

Tee hee, and faster than old ladies
  • LauraThirty
    Options

Bikini, figure and fitness.

Ooh, really? How long would you expect a flabby mummy to take to transform in to a bikini model then?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I use hemp protein powder daily. I do it because it's less expensive than meat or nuts, which would be my preferred method. I am on 1700 calories a day, so I don't have any problems with going over my calories. But hemp protein powder is 11g protein for 80 calories. I usually mix it in some plain, non-fat yogurt and add some fruit and/or honey for flavor, so my protein shakes can sometimes get up to 300 calories with about 20-25g protein.

I just want to make sure that I have enough protein each day so that I don't lose lean mass during weight loss and because I am doing regular strength training. I don't give a hoot what others think. I know that I am putting more nutrition in my body and that I am seeing success through both the scale and the measuring tape. AND, I feel great, every day. That's what's really important.
  • Matt_Wild
    Options
    Sorry whats your age too?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

:laugh:
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    I use hemp protein powder daily. I do it because it's less expensive than meat or nuts, which would be my preferred method. I am on 1700 calories a day, so I don't have any problems with going over my calories. But hemp protein powder is 11g protein for 80 calories. I usually mix it in some plain, non-fat yogurt and add some fruit and/or honey for flavor, so my protein shakes can sometimes get up to 300 calories with about 20-25g protein.

I just want to make sure that I have enough protein each day so that I don't lose lean mass during weight loss and because I am doing regular strength training. I don't give a hoot what others think. I know that I am putting more nutrition in my body and that I am seeing success through both the scale and the measuring tape. AND, I feel great, every day. That's what's really important.

Thanks, and well done on the weightloss!!!
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    Sorry whats your age too?

• WendyTerry420
    Options

Thanks, and well done on the weightloss!!!

Thanks

This is your journey. Make it fit you and then you'll be able to make it a lifelong habit. That's my motto. While there are certain science facts that can't be ignored, each of us are individuals, so no one way is the right way.