Protein - Supplements Vs Food when losing weight

Options

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Protein from food = 4cal/g.
    Protein from supplements = 4cal/g.

Not sure why one source of protein is doable on a calorie restriction while the other isn't, when it's the same calories either way.

That said, whole foods are always preferable, but there's nothing wrong with supplementing if necessary.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I do my best to get a good deal of my protein from food, but I just couldn't get 110g a day from 1400 calories. Of course it's better to get it from food, but if you need supplements to reach your goal without going over calories, then that's what you need. Do what works for you.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options

Not sure why one source of protein is doable on a calorie restriction while the other isn't, when it's the same calories either way.

That said, whole foods are always preferable, but there's nothing wrong with supplementing if necessary.
    Because food is rarely 100% of something. Except sugar and oils I guess.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Protein supplements are very rarely 100% of anything also. The average protein bar has just as much sugar as it does protein.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

That depends on the protein source.
  • tigersword
    Options
    No it doesn't. Protein is always 4 calories per gram, no matter the source.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Because food is rarely 100% of something. Except sugar and oils I guess.

Exactly. I can't think of any food that has *only* protein in it and nothing else.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    No it doesn't. Protein is always 4 calories per gram, no matter the source.

Look at turkey as an example.

http://caloriecount.about.com/calories-turkey-all-classes-meat-only-i5168

238 calories for 41 grams
    One cup of meat
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    In any case, it's your journey, no one else's.

This^^

I personally use whey protein, greek yogurt, and really lean meat for my sources of protein. There are many protein powders that have low calorie, low to 0 cholesterol and sugar. I eat lots of lean meat but it helps me get in lots of protein if I have met my daily limit for cholesterol.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Meanwhile, my hemp protein powder, as I stated earlier is 11g for only 80 calories. By your theory, it ought to be 30 calories more for the powder and almost 80 calories less for the serving of turkey.

There goes your hard-and-fast rule all shot to hell.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    I think that with supplements (and keep in mind I have never taken powders) you are just getting the nutrient, and it is a quick fix. I am figuring out that If I want to get natural proteins from food, calories are going to come with it. But the difference is that those calories are jam-packed with stuff, as opposed to empty calories.
    I would rather eat the food though. I love food too much.

28, and you consider that old? I am 26. Screaming lack of confidence. Phelps just won about 6 gold medals, and he is approaching 30. Favre played with gray hairs. Mark Martin is in his 50's.

*Corrected for Phelps' age.
  • j_wilson2012
    Options
    Protein supplements are very rarely 100% of anything also. The average protein bar has just as much sugar as it does protein.

But it has fiber, potassium, sodium, and other vitamins that are important for your body to process it correctly. BTW, when having a protein energy bar on a workout, it doesn't matter about the sugar, as it will never have the time to settle. The body uses the sugar first.
  • Lunasash
    Lunasash Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Protein supplements can be very bad for your body. They are very hard on your kidneys and liver. If you continue to use them you need to drink more then the standard 64 oz of water a day. Have you considered talking to a registered dietician?
  • Dyetcoke1
    Dyetcoke1 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    In America we would call him a douche :-)
  • pixelsurgeon88
    pixelsurgeon88 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you eat all your burnt calories you will just remain at a constant weight. By not eating them or too many of them you will lose weight.
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    I think that with supplements (and keep in mind I have never taken powders) you are just getting the nutrient, and it is a quick fix. I am figuring out that If I want to get natural proteins from food, calories are going to come with it. But the difference is that those calories are jam-packed with stuff, as opposed to empty calories.
    I would rather eat the food though. I love food too much.

28, and you consider that old? I am 26. Screaming lack of confidence. Phelps just won about 6 gold medals, and he is approaching 30. Favre played with gray hairs. Mark Martin is in his 50's.

*Corrected for Phelps' age.

Sorry - I assumed you were younger as you said you were at college. In the UK you do college from 16 - 18 and uni from 18 - 21. I am being humourous, I know I'm not an old lady. But I do feel that my body has aged about 20 years since I had my daughter at 22.
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    In America we would call him a douche :-)

Ha! I don't know what that is but sounds good!
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    If you eat all your burnt calories you will just remain at a constant weight. By not eating them or too many of them you will lose weight.

Sorry, I'm not with you...
  • LauraThirty
    Options
    Protein supplements can be very bad for your body. They are very hard on your kidneys and liver. If you continue to use them you need to drink more then the standard 64 oz of water a day. Have you considered talking to a registered dietician?

I have been more thirsty... but thought it was the exercise. Dieticians are too expensive I'm afraid.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options

Absolute JUNK. What an utter pile of tosh.

Would you like to explain this medically?

Ignore this rubbish.