How to start running when you're already in ok shape?

Options
Hey everyone, so basically I want to start running. I've never been a runner, and have never gone running in my life (til today :) I just went on my first ever run, not sure of exactly the distance but I think about 5k). Howeverrr, I do a LOT of cardio that's not running, I'm very into zumba, step, aerobics, body combat, body attack etc. as well as cycling, so I think I'm in relatively good shape already.

I'm wondering, is there a beginner running program out there to get me going that's designed for people who are already in ok shape? I know a lot of people do Cto5K, but all the stories I've heard about it seem like it's geared towards people who are beginners to cardiovascular workouts in general. Would it still work for me? Should I just give it a go anyway, or would you recommend doing it but just beginning it from a few weeks in? Or otherwise what program should I do to start running? Is there a certain distance/time that I should run each day? How long should I warm up and cool down for? What stretching do I need to do?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I did C25K and I'm in really good shape I feel(lost 30 pounds and been exercising for the past year and half) but I've never run before a day in my life.

When you were running that 5K, did you run the entire time or did you stop and walk a bit and then keep going? If it's stop/walk and then keep going, C25K is prob. for you as it builds up your running time longer and longer until you are doing a 5K in 30 minutes.

If you just ran straight, then I think you need to find a different program.
  • heartsoulshannon
    heartsoulshannon Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I would measure your distance and go from there :) But 5K is probably a great place to start off. After that, they say to add 10% of your distance per week if you're looking to build up to longer distances. And no matter how much you run, intervals are always a good idea. They build up speed and endurance!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Do the C25K program - it lays out the intervals for you and has the warmup and cool downs built in. Go on line and google for the podcasts. There are several but they give you the timing prompts and have music with a beat that usually matches the pace. There are several from the us but the uk has them as well so you can find a music style that works for you. There are also apps that will give you voice prompts that you can use you own music if you want.
    If you are in shape you will find that running is more of a mind game than a fitness issue - the podcasts really help build you up to the continuous run safely Be sure you have good shoes that fit properly - it makes a difference.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Assuming you're talking about outdoor, rather than treadmill running...

I wasn't in great shape when I started on C25, but was able to do an easy 45 minutes to an hour on an elliptical. Still found the C25 challenging, and I think it definitely helped me accustom my muscles to the new activity.

A very fit friend started it this week (she's not remotely overweight, and exercises hard most days) and has found it much the same.

Why not try it, and see? You can always skip a few of the early weeks if it's way too easy. But at least if you're using a graduated programme, you know you're reducing your risk of injury.
  • bearsmom82
    bearsmom82 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I was in the same boat, and I did a variation on C25K - my husband is a runner, so he coached me. basically started with very long, brisk walks, and started running, just a few hundred metres at a time. I ran when I felt like running, and stopped when I felt I needed to. each day, the amount of time running increased, walking decreased, until I am now (5 weeks later) running over 5K with very little difficulty.

Just don't go from zero to full-on running - increase gradually every day - and make sure you take a rest day or two each week.

And get GOOD shoes - go to a running store, have them assess your gait, and pick out the best you can afford - I spent over $100, and worth every penny - if your feet don't hurt, you can run a lot longer!

Good luck and enjoy the journey..
  • drgndancer
    drgndancer Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to start slow with running, even if you're in good cardio vascular shape. Running is kind of hard on joints, stabilizer muscles and connective tissue. It's a good idea to get all of those used to the impact over a period of time, even if your heart, lungs, and large muscle groups could handle more faster. A lot of stress injuries to new runners can be avoided by slowly increasing your running over time.

That said, the very earliest stages of c25k might feel to easy for you. I've seen people start in week 3 or 4 and they usually do alright.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I think it's good to start running slowly even if in great shape.

You can get all sorts of injuries if you try running out of the ballpark and going gungho...even if you are already in excellent shape. looking good and being in shape strength wise doesn't always translate into good running mechanics.

I know because i have horrible plantar fascitis from heel striking.

Plus when I got out of the army I thought I could just go for a half marathon.

What I should have done was do a few 5ks's first(and I was in awesome shape after the army).

Let's just say that the half marathon humbled me.

Big time. I walked out of that half marathon limping.

The next time I did things slowly. Did a few 5k's and 10 k's, eventually did another half with lots of base training behind me and a few marathons.

The half actually is now my fav distance although I no longer do cardio anymore.

when i pick up cardio again..I am going to train wisely. Do a few short run and a couple 5k's for the excitement factor.

I am in good shape now as well and have run in the past...but after taking time off, I am going to follow the c25k people! Actually for the longer runs I might just go back to the Galloway program(I actually WAS a JEFF Galloway coach for the 2010 Chicago Marathon)
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    When you were running that 5K, did you run the entire time or did you stop and walk a bit and then keep going? If it's stop/walk and then keep going, C25K is prob. for you as it builds up your running time longer and longer until you are doing a 5K in 30 minutes.

I was with a friend, and we were going to stop after 2.5 so we slowed to a walk for a min or 2, talked a bit and decided we'd do another 2.5 so ran some more...I think I probably COULD have run it straight though...but I didn't today so I can't be sure. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, see if I can run it straight through, and time it and go from there?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

I was with a friend, and we were going to stop after 2.5 so we slowed to a walk for a min or 2, talked a bit and decided we'd do another 2.5 so ran some more...I think I probably COULD have run it straight though...but I didn't today so I can't be sure. Maybe I'll try again tomorrow, see if I can run it straight through, and time it and go from there?

It sounds like you ran for 5 miles last night instead of a 5K(5K is equal to 3 miles).

Since you have never run before, you may benefit from C25K.. and you don't have to start at week 1 as other posters have said.

I just started at week 1 because I wanted to do it properly.. and I'm happy I did it that way because it forced me to slow down in later weeks. I found my self running super fast the first two weeks, and then week 3 hit and I realized I could not keep up that pace if I wanted to successfully finish the intervals.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm confused. She ran 5k her first time out. Why are people recommending C25K? The C stands for couch and she didn't start on her couch. She started with a great background in cardio fitness. For the love of everything holy, don't recommend a total beginner book to an obvious intermediate.

To the OP, congrats, you're a runner already. Check a few online sites about your form so you don't hurt yourself. And keep running. Do NOT start a program that has you run 2 blocks and stop when you can already run 2 miles.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    I'm confused. She ran 5k her first time out. Why are people recommending C25K? The C stands for couch and she didn't start on her couch. She started with a great background in cardio fitness. For the love of everything holy, don't recommend a total beginner book to an obvious intermediate.

To the OP, congrats, you're a runner already. Check a few online sites about your form so you don't hurt yourself. And keep running. Do NOT start a program that has you run 2 blocks and stop when you can already run 2 miles.

a) she thinks she ran 5k
    b) even if you *can* run 5k straight out of the blocks, it's often not a good idea to do so.

As people have already said, perhaps not the programme itself, but some kind of gradated programme would be useful, rather than overstraining legs early on in running.

As dad106 suggested above, maybe start a few weeks into the programme? Or build something sensible and similar for yourself. But running flat out without building up is probably not a great idea.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    Running intervals varying your speed or sprinting would be great for you since you're already in shape.
  • brendddda
    Options
    Try an intermediate running plan, like this:

http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/intermediate-plan-for-runners.html

It will help you gradually increase your endurance without starting you at a beginner's level.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I started running early in the Spring, and like you, I was already fit.

My first route covered 3.8 miles, and the 1st time I run it, I did stop for a short break midway. Next time out I ran it straight through and stuck with this route running 1 - 2 times a week. When I felt it was ready, I upped my distance to 5.5 miles, and have stuck at this distance and am now looking to increase my time.

I make sure I stretch properly before and after I run, wear proper running shoes and I have not had any major injuries so far (crossed fingers).

I don't feel the need to follow any specific training plan at present, but I may consider running a half marathon at some point, and then I would put a running plan into action (I have a number of friends who run marathons so will go to them for advise).

I will probably get a lot of stick from runners for saying this, but running is just running :smile:
  • mirandamayhem
    Options
    I think C25K is worth trying. I do a fair bit of cardio, but still die when it comes to running. I couldn't even complete day one of running but i can do an aerobics class no probs.
    Or "Zombies, Run!" which is good fun and just get out there and start running! I prefer this, it's fun, and passes the time while I just run or walk, and then run again when the zombies are after me.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    Try an intermediate running plan, like this:

http://www.runninginjuryfree.org/2008/09/intermediate-plan-for-runners.html

It will help you gradually increase your endurance without starting you at a beginner's level.

I know so many people who've come into running thinking 'I'm fit, I'll just go for it' and ended up hurt. I still think the original poster needs to ease in a bit before trying this schedule...
  • runzalot81
    runzalot81 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    I love the running podcasts. I'm a ten year veteran runner but I still use them on my training runs :)

Looks like you've already got lots of great advice!

I would say just do the first week and see how you feel. No need to rush.

Get professionally fitted for shoes. Your shoes have to be perfect for running. Don't assume that just because they're fine for all your other cardio, they'll work for running.
  • brendddda
    Options
    I got my mom to start running, and she was in the same position as you. She does cardio 5 times a week but never running. I got her to run with me one weekend, and it was a 3 mile run. Now she runs at least once a week in addition to her usual cardio.

I don't think you need C25K. It's a great program, but you already have cardiovascular endurance. You also have some muscle built up, just not necessarily the exact ones you use for running- so take it slow at first.

I'm not suggesting OP needs to following the training plan exactly, it was just to give her a guideline. She could try lowering the daily miles by 1-2 miles or 5-10 minutes as suits her needs.
  • newhabit
    newhabit Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    i did c25k because i didn't want to overdo my body when i hadn't really run before. started it about 9 weeks ago as a nonrunner and ran my first 5k a few days ago with a time of 28:19. sure, it's slow in the beginning but it was perfect for me. right before that i did insanity and before that jillian michaels dvds, treadmill walking, elliptical so i wasn't new to cardio either. running is different than other types of cardio, at least i see it that way.

**i believe i COULD have done a 5k after insanity but i wanted to take it slow, and it paid off for me. i didn't get injured while running and it felt like a slow steady build up

next i am doing bridge to 10k. it does have me start with shorter running intervals but i'm find with that as my training for the 5k was pretty intense, i'm ok with ramping it down a bit.
  • lifescircle
    Options
    I agree that if you can run you can run.

These programs are for people who can't.

If you can simply run 2 miles, then good grief, why would you need a program. Just increase your distance gradually.

Seriously, everyone does not need a program to do what they want to do. People have been running long before programs.

Go girl!