How to start running when you're already in ok shape?

Options

Replies

• meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I agree that if you can run you can run.

These programs are for people who can't.

If you can simply run 2 miles, then good grief, why would you need a program. Just increase your distance gradually.

Seriously, everyone does not need a program to do what they want to do. People have been running long before programs.

Go girl!

Do you run?

Again, no-one is suggesting a 'beginners programme', but an adaptation of that programme to enable the OP to build the musculature that supports running.

Most common injuries in new runners? Shin splints. How is it caused? Running too far, too fast, too soon. Regardless of prior fitness levels.

Of course she's not in the position of someone who's literally just got off the couch. But to suggest she should just head straight for the hills cause she has the cardio fitness to do so is not sensible. Everyone needs to build up.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 5 km and you enjoyed it (at least enough to do it again) then congrats you're a runner. :)

Maybe do Couch to 5k but make the walking intervals slow jogs, running intervals faster running? Or take a beginner running clinic at a local running store to make sure your stride is good then tackle the Bridge to 10k?
  • lifescircle
    Options

If you can simply run 2 miles, then good grief, why would you need a program. Just increase your distance gradually.

Seriously, everyone does not need a program to do what they want to do. People have been running long before programs.

Go girl!

Do you run?

No. But she does. I am "learning". If I could go out right now and run 2 miles, I would not need a program to teach me how to run 2 miles. Common sense does come into play.
  • apriltrainer
    apriltrainer Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I started running early in the Spring, and like you, I was already fit.

My first route covered 3.8 miles, and the 1st time I run it, I did stop for a short break midway. Next time out I ran it straight through and stuck with this route running 1 - 2 times a week. When I felt it was ready, I upped my distance to 5.5 miles, and have stuck at this distance and am now looking to increase my time.

I make sure I stretch properly before and after I run, wear proper running shoes and I have not had any major injuries so far (crossed fingers).

I don't feel the need to follow any specific training plan at present, but I may consider running a half marathon at some point, and then I would put a running plan into action (I have a number of friends who run marathons so will go to them for advise).

I will probably get a lot of stick from runners for saying this, but running is just running :smile:

Until you get plantar fascitis and have to get steroid shots in your heels because you thought you were so darn fit and cute. Yeah, that was me.

I did runs in the military but not long distance ones...

Running seriously humbled me.

I can do 100 pushups non stop ..no problem..

I can do 8 pullups now.

I was the FASTEST female in my platoon with the 2 mile pt run..

AND I messed up my feet running long distances with bad form.

I should have taken it easy when I started.
  • biglew909
    biglew909 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stewart Smith is a former Navy Seal and an all around PT stud. You can Google his name for his website, which is loaded with alot of cardio, calisthenics and running plans. I provided a link for a 6 week running program below, but there's tons more on his site:

http://www.stewsmithptclub.com/6weekrunningplan.pdf
  • meerkat70
    Options

Go girl!

Do you run?

No. But she does. I am "learning". If I could go out right now and run 2 miles, I would not need a program to teach me how to run 2 miles. Common sense does come into play.

Yes it does. Unfortunately, this isn't common sense. (See April's post for a very very good example of why it isn't common sense.... )
  • rowbseat13
    rowbseat13 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I would at least try C25K, even if it seems ridiculously easy at first. It did to me when I did it a year and a half ago, but it helped me not get over-zealous and do too much too soon. You can always skip some of the runs and move on when you feel ready.

If there's one thing I've learned in the last year, being ABLE to run isn't just about the endurance or speed... Even if that's a breeze, you're still using different muscle groups than you are doing virtually anything else, and the impact on your joints is very, VERY different, even from running on a treadmill. There's more in your body that needs to acclimate than just your heart and lungs.
  • basillowe66
    basillowe66 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You are already in shape, so I would start out wit just an easy jog, don't be worried about speed for awhile. Keep jogging until you feel as if you are running out of air, then walk, once you are breathing normal agian start your jogging again, and keep repeating. You want to do that for at least 30-45 min. You will find in a few days you are running a lot more than you are walking and soo there is no walking at all and now you can start increasing your speed!

Basil
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I'd say c25k as well. The first 2-3 weeks may be pretty easy. But if your not a runner, even in shape past week 3 is gonna be really hard. I'm in really good shape, but I still have a hard time running a mile. I can bust out 100 burpees like a beast tho! LOL Programs are programs. Create your own program. Figure out what u can run and add a little distance each week.
  • sexikc
    sexikc Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I say do the c25k but modify it...where it says run pick up your pace where it says walk do an easy jog....
  • lifescircle
    Options
    You are already in shape, so I would start out wit just an easy jog, don't be worried about speed for awhile. Keep jogging until you feel as if you are running out of air, then walk, once you are breathing normal agian start your jogging again, and keep repeating. You want to do that for at least 30-45 min. You will find in a few days you are running a lot more than you are walking and soo there is no walking at all and now you can start increasing your speed!

Basil

Yes. I agree. You are definitely not a C25K person. But if you want a program to increase your distance and speed, there are many online. You can check out runkeeper.com. They have running programs for beginners, intermediates and advanced. You can click on the calendars/schedules to see what they do. There is plenty of good advice for runners out there and the more knowledge the better to reduce/eliminate injury and enjoy the run.
  • meerkat70
    Options
    OP I do hope you're noticing a pattern in the responses of people who *do* run. Take it easy. Don't rush in. Don't confuse CV fitness with readiness to run long distances. The two are obviously linked, but not the *same* thing.

I love running, and I feel sure you will too. Ducking out of this thread now, as I don't think i have more to add to what I and others have already said. Best of luck whatever you decide. Do take care of those legs! :-)
  • timboom1
    timboom1 Posts: 762 Member
    Options

Go girl!

Do you run?

And common sense is to listen to those that do run and know what works and what the pitfalls are. Way more fit people end up with overuse injuries than do those starting from the couch, mostly because they have the cardio ability to do more than they should and they don't take the time to build the specific skeletal and muscle adaptions they need to be able to support that level of running.

C25K week 1, day 1 may not be the program or place to start, the OP can certainly do some research and come up with her own program that builds up appropriately or adapt any one of the thousands that exist. I think the point is that no matter how fit you are, if you are just starting out running, you are a beginner and all of the mechanisms that support running are not yet developed. Develop gradually and you will probably be running for a long time, don't and you are just rolling the dice and hoping you don't end up with an injury.
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Go girl!

Do you run?

And common sense is to listen to those that do run and know what works and what the pitfalls are. Way more fit people end up with overuse injuries than do those starting from the couch, mostly because they have the cardio ability to do more than they should and they don't take the time to build the specific skeletal and muscle adaptions they need to be able to support that level of running.

C25K week 1, day 1 may not be the program or place to start, the OP can certainly do some research and come up with her own program that builds up appropriately or adapt any one of the thousands that exist. I think the point is that no matter how fit you are, if you are just starting out running, you are a beginner and all of the mechanisms that support running are not yet developed. Develop gradually and you will probably be running for a long time, don't and you are just rolling the dice and hoping you don't end up with an injury.

Ok, I'm taking from all this that I shouldn't have done what I did and just gone and run 5k, so I'll look into finding a program for me. Another question that may sound stupid...people have said find out how far the run I did was...but how? I got the estimate from looking on google maps and just comparing the distance I ran with the scale on there (yeah, not the most accurate, I know), but how would I get a more accurate measurement than that without resorting to taking a metre stick with me one day?

Does anyone have a link to any of the podcasts that you'd suggest?
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Go girl!

Do you run?

Ok, I'm taking from all this that I shouldn't have done what I did and just gone and run 5k, so I'll look into finding a program for me. Another question that may sound stupid...people have said find out how far the run I did was...but how? I got the estimate from looking on google maps and just comparing the distance I ran with the scale on there (yeah, not the most accurate, I know), but how would I get a more accurate measurement than that without resorting to taking a metre stick with me one day?

Do you have a smart phone/Iphone/Ipod that allows you to download apps?

If the answer is yes, then there are a bunch of apps that use GPS navigation and can tell you where/how far you ran.

There are also apps that walk you through C25K and a bunch of other programs.
  • zozzabubba
    zozzabubba Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Go girl!

Do you run?

Do you have a smart phone/Iphone/Ipod that allows you to download apps?

If the answer is yes, then there are a bunch of apps that use GPS navigation and can tell you where/how far you ran.

There are also apps that walk you through C25K and a bunch of other programs.

noooo, sadly I do not, I just have a super old crappy nokia phone and an ipod classic :/
    any alternatives?
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    check this out as well. She has training programs for all kinds of "athletes"
    http://www.jennyhadfield.com/training-plans/
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    It's a good idea to start slow with running, even if you're in good cardio vascular shape. Running is kind of hard on joints, stabilizer muscles and connective tissue. It's a good idea to get all of those used to the impact over a period of time, even if your heart, lungs, and large muscle groups could handle more faster. A lot of stress injuries to new runners can be avoided by slowly increasing your running over time.

That said, the very earliest stages of c25k might feel to easy for you. I've seen people start in week 3 or 4 and they usually do alright.

^^^this. no matter how great a shape you're in. don't overdo the running because you don't feel out of breath. bones and tendons need to adjust. being in decent shape, you may have a leg up, but 0-100 sounds like a recipe for injuries to me...
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

Ok, I'm taking from all this that I shouldn't have done what I did and just gone and run 5k, so I'll look into finding a program for me.
    Well doing it once like that isn't likely to have hurt you. If nothing hurts today, you didn't injure yourself.

But I would agree with the above runners that no you shouldn't immediately start running several miles every day because of the possibility of injury.

I'd ramp up by continuing your usual exercise routine, but substituting about 10 minutes of your usual cardio for a run every other day. After a couple of weeks, make that 15 minutes, then 20 in a another week or two, until you get up to 30 minutes of running 3 times a week. then add a 4th run each week. Then you'll be ready to tackle an intermediate 5K training plan.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options

noooo, sadly I do not, I just have a super old crappy nokia phone and an ipod classic :/
    any alternatives?
    mapmyrun.com