Worried about excess skin

Options
13»

Replies

• PlumeriaToo
    PlumeriaToo Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posing this question. Lots of good information. Best of luck to us all. :flowerforyou:
  • youcandooeet
    youcandooeet Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I hate to point this out, but it is almost entirely based on your genetics. Other factors that play in are your age, how far your skin was stretched, and how long. If you are a chronic yoyo dieter with massive amounts of weight lost and gained several times, your skin will be less likely to fully recover every time. You can help it along a bit, but some people can do everything wrong and have no issues at all, and some people can do everything right and never regain tight skin. Do what you can to help it along, but realize that it's not a magic formula that guarentees results. Good luck with it! May the odds be ever in your favor.
  • smilesalot1969
    Options
    dont panic!!!! 10 years ago i weighed 284lb and was a uk size 26. I lost 8stone in 18months and got down to a size 12 and i did not exercise. The little bit of loose skin i did get slowly went back (and i mean slowly) and the only bad bit i was really left with was bingo wings BUT this was mostly because there was still fat in there weighing the skin down.
    This year i piled a stone back hence joining here but this time i am doing it with weight training and cardio but seriously dont panic if it doesnt go right back instantly, especially if you lose weight pretty fast. Give it time!!! And yes Vitamin E creams or shea butter does help a little.
  • kayloublack
    kayloublack Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I would also like to offer dry skin brushing. I am having much success with it. Not only does it excercise your skin sort of speak but it also helps to move your lymphatic system. In addition I use dead sea mudd soap and the actual mudd. I also do not use any harsh chemicals such as lotions (where you can not pronouce the ingredients) on my skin - only natural - essential oils in aloe vera gel. Once a week I take a bath with dead sea salts not only is it relaxing but the salt has lots of minerals in it that help the skin.

Eating lots of unprocessed foods I feel gives you a great advantage also. Along with taking alpha supplements.

Either way I agree with the others that have replied loose skin is still better than the fat and much easier to hide.

Yeah I have always used the dry skin brushing method, I will have to get some dead sea salts, thanks.

Smiles!
  • kayloublack
    Options
    I am 45 and have lost five stone - I don't have loose skin.

Well done for losing 5 stone wow.

No loose skin...Amazing.

• kayloublack
    Options
    dont panic!!!! 10 years ago i weighed 284lb and was a uk size 26. I lost 8stone in 18months and got down to a size 12 and i did not exercise. The little bit of loose skin i did get slowly went back (and i mean slowly) and the only bad bit i was really left with was bingo wings BUT this was mostly because there was still fat in there weighing the skin down.
    This year i piled a stone back hence joining here but this time i am doing it with weight training and cardio but seriously dont panic if it doesnt go right back instantly, especially if you lose weight pretty fast. Give it time!!! And yes Vitamin E creams or shea butter does help a little.

Well done... 8 stone in 18 months is brilliant :flowerforyou:
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump - good info for my husband, he lost 50 lbs and is struggling with loose skin around his middle. This is great information for him because he thinks he isn't working out enough but works out 5 days a week for an hour each time. Maybe some of the info here might help him.
  • cyclingben
    cyclingben Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    For guys and the dreaded man boobs which i work on everyday do decline and incline bench press. They have gone down a lot. As long as you use weights you wont have a problem. Its when you just diet w no strength training to tone your muscles is when you really have this problem.
  • Sarah_Wins
    Sarah_Wins Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    Bump for later reading :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!