Embarrassing but help!! Constipated!!

Options
Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?? I drink over 10 glasses of water a day, and I am eating plenty of veggies, Whats up??

Replies

• Gwoman2012
    Gwoman2012 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Are you eating grains or doing low carb?

Whenever I go low carb I get constipated for the first week or 2, no matter how many veggies I eat.

Are you on any medications?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem too since I've been losing weight. I was told by my doctor to take some morning citricell and Milk of Magnesium it seems to help. It appears that weight loss just kind of slows you down even when youre drinking water, excercise, and eating fiber.
  • LCHF4Life
    LCHF4Life Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had this experience also, but I'm 50. I find I have problems digesting grains (gluten sensitive) and too much cheese during the day. If I stick to proteins and veggies, and some fruit, I'm fine. But sometimes I do overdo it and my system rebels. Ugh. One thing that helps is eating curry, turmeric specifically. So next meal time, make it a curry or turmeric and your "problem" will resolve.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough healthy fats in with those veggies?

Try munching on some pineapples and grapes today. Or you could make a fruit smoothie with chia seeds.
  • LishaCole
    LishaCole Posts: 245
    Options
    Have a couple of TBSP of flax oil right off the spoon, by itself. That will sort you out. If this becomes a more chronic issue, consider looking into taking some probiotics and supplementing with magnesium.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Do you want relief right now, or are you seeking a systematic approach? If you're looking simply to fix you, right now, consider Milk of Magnesia. Once, after a week of percosets I was...really bad. Do not get the un-flavoured version...it's impossible to drink

I took a double-dose and waited. Three hours later it started. Three hours after that i'd lost six pounds. No ****. (No pun intended).

^^ NOT medical advice...just sayin.
  • farmwife3815
    farmwife3815 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Prunes will help. You can make a mixture of prunes, bran flakes, and applesauce. It tastes nasty but it works. You only need to eat a tablespoon or so and then wait. If it doesn't work in six to eight hours take another tablespoon, We used to use this when I worked in the nursing home. It's called BAP.
  • Carri1
    Carri1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My dr said a stool softener will help keep things moving. You chance hemorrhoids otherwise and those can be a PITA!! Literally!
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've actually had this problem for a number of years mainly due to the amount of pain killers i'm on. Fortunately a friend suggested Lamberts Eliminex, its a prebiotic which "encourages the growth of friendly bacteria in the bowel and therefore leads to better bowel tone,more regular movements and a reduction in digestive upsets".

Changing your diet can affect your bowel, but eliminex has made a vast difference in my life. Hope your problem soon resolves itself :)
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    if its really bad, think about getting checked for faecal impaction
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Take some Miralax!

I have a crappy digestive system and my doctor prescribed me miralax and benefiber to keep my digestive system moving.

Its harmless if you keep it in the right doses. =)

Hope this helps!
  • IleanaMargot
    IleanaMargot Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    A fiber one bar does it for me every time... 9 g of fiber...downside 9 g of sugar. If anyone knows of a better bar please suggest it.
  • amberlongsine
    amberlongsine Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Prunes will help. You can make a mixture of prunes, bran flakes, and applesauce. It tastes nasty but it works. You only need to eat a tablespoon or so and then wait. If it doesn't work in six to eight hours take another tablespoon, We used to use this when I worked in the nursing home. It's called BAP.

My Mom told me to do that!!! It does work!!!
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    My dr said a stool softener will help keep things moving. You chance hemorrhoids otherwise and those can be a PITA!! Literally!

Agree!! Try to stay away from laxatives...they are just as unpleasant as being constipated.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed. This is your body trying to tell you something.

And most likely, your body is saying it's stressed out by the changes in your diet and the changes in your exercise habits and lifestyle habits.

Are you getting enough Vitamin A, Calcium, and Magnesium?

Someone said Milk of Magnesia would help, which it will.

But better would be to get two supplements (skip the multi...no point...you're eating pretty much everything else you need):

Vitamin A + calcium
    Vitamin B Complex 100

These two supplements will cost you a few calories a day.

And PS...you may not actually be constipated. You may be experiencing symptoms of slow bowel. Only your doctor can tell you if you are actually constipated. So DO NOT take a stool softener. If you're not constipated that will just cause more problems than it solves.

The two supplements I mentioned will help you either way. And don't get stressed.

When you're sitting on the toilet give it a minute. You're probably used to defecating before you urinate. That's not always how it works and people get stressed. If you think it's time to go, it is, but don't rush yourself. Urinate, then sit on the toilet for an extra couple minutes and think about something else. If you're running a little slow, it will come as you relax. But like I said, you REALLY need to get that Vitamin B Complex in you and make sure you're getting enough Magnesium.

How I know:
    -Studying homeopath
    -I have a slow bowel due to lupus
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Some people are blaming low carb and lack of grains for constipation. That's not necessarily true. I eat very low carb and no grains and my bowels are working better than ever. I eat a lot of veggies, fat and meat. I only have bowel problems when I eat the Standard American Diet.

You don't have your diary open, so I can't provide any feedback based on what you are eating (which would just be my opinion of course), but you are more than welcome to look at my Food Diary.
  • faye32766
    Options
    Try Probiotic Supplements, this helps your GI for all issues.
  • BigGuy47
    BigGuy47 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    I've found that chia seeds and pumpkin seeds keep things moving along.

Here's a list of foods that can have a laxative effect.

http://www.oxypowder.com/laxative-foods.html
  • natajane
    natajane Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Food info aside, a good aerobic exercise session might help - gets your muscles moving?
  • ncqueenbee
    ncqueenbee Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    A couple of celery stalks a day usually does it for me. Especially when low-carbing.