Embarrassing but help!! Constipated!!

Options

Replies

• ChrisRN75495
    Options
    I use a supplement called Natural Calm - it's powdered magnesium citrate that dissolves in water. Does the trick for me!
    That's a laxative, even though it has a natural-sounding, healthful-sounding name.
  • louiloui123
    louiloui123 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    charcol tablets and probiotic tablets worked wonders for me and it worked fast x
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I use a supplement called Natural Calm - it's powdered magnesium citrate that dissolves in water. Does the trick for me!
    That's a laxative, even though it has a natural-sounding, healthful-sounding name.
    Miralax, which you and others recommended, is also a laxative. It's simply an osmotic versus a stimulant (like the smooth move tea has).
    I personally take regular magnesium supplements (not the citrate preparation).
  • vynnette26
    vynnette26 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I started taking metamucil every morning and before bed becuase I started experiencing constipation after taking all kinds of supplements and it works for me
  • furby1
    furby1 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Low back spinal issues can cause constipation--if you have nerve roots that are getting squashed or are impinged on in any way, it can interfere with going.

That explains part of my problem..thank you :)
  • concavity
    concavity Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    A bowl of fiber one honey clusters always works for me, if I don't have any on hand. Black tea speeds things up as well.
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    I went through the same thing.....stress is a huge factor in constipation, same with any medications.....my dr recommended magnalax for three nights and it works!!! it tastes gross but got me back on track....you can get at drugstore..... and flax, I add flax meal to my yogurt everyday to keep regular :)
  • kytte
    kytte Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    lots of fiber. metamucil may help.
  • Bry8432
    Bry8432 Posts: 37
    Options
    Benefiber

its perfect, taste like nothing and you can add to anything!

Im telling you, its perfection!
  • DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    miralax, prunes, and chocolate! Works like a charm.
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My dr said a stool softener will help keep things moving. You chance hemorrhoids otherwise and those can be a PITA!! Literally!
    This. I'm on meds that give new meaning to ****ting a brick! I take a stool softener everyday.
  • vestarocks
    vestarocks Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Make a castor oil pack - castor oil and a heating pad on your stomach. Trust.

Google it for full instructions.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    might just be the diet change. Too much iron maybe? Try taking some milk of mag and watch out lol
  • krislee614
    krislee614 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    As a more overall approach, I practice yoga to keep me "moving". There are videos on YouTube for Yoga for Digestion. That may also help.
  • rschaaf18
    Options
    I do the metamucil, lemonade flavor; it is has helped me tremendously. I do veggies and fruit daily too, but this has helped me, like a said, a LOT. Just a suggestion.
  • denise032
    denise032 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Coffee, yogurt, exercise (especially jogging) should help "move things along"
  • habu68123
    habu68123 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I suffer from a chronic GI disease and my surgeon recommended Miralax. They felt it was safe for use and it has helped a lot!
  • moonfruity
    moonfruity Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Get a probiotic, and go for a run. Eat an apple or two,raspberries are powerful too.
  • HypersonicFitNess
    HypersonicFitNess Posts: 1,219 Member
    Options
    Try drinking 1 cup of warm water each morning with a squeeze of lemon juice. Sit wit you feet on a stool so that your knees are up. This position is the body's natural queue to "go".

Reduce:
    Dairy
    meats
    saturated fats
    spicy or hot foods
    sugar & sweets
    tea and coffee

Increase:
    Fresh fruits (eat fruit by itself in the morning)
    Green vegetables
    Sprouted seeds
    Whole Grains
    Have plenty of rest
    Drink plenty of fluids
    Exercise moderately
    Eat slowly and chew your food thoroughly

Ongoing Constipation Support:
    Eat raw sauerkraut
    Add 1-2 capsules of acidophilus
    One digestive enzyme at each meal
    Linseeds and pumpkin seeds (2 TBSP of linseeds ground with 1 TBPS pumpkin seeds) Eat with a salad and chew realy well. Alternate with a TBSP of black seasame seeds.

Anti-constipation Supplement Program:
    Alo vera, 1 TBSP 2x daily mix with apple juice if preferred
    Triphala, 1 TBSP in a glass of water or juice 1 hour before bed
    Wild blue-green algae or spirulina, 2 TBSP daily or 2 Tables a day
    Flax oil, 1 capsule or 1 tsp a day
    Psyllium husks, 1 tsp in a 10 oz glass of water or juice
    Milk thistle, 1 capsule or 20 drops of liquid tincture in water 3x a day
    Vitamin C with bioflavonoids, 1000mg, 3x a day
    Vitamin B Complex (rice based), 25-50mg, 2x a day with meals
    Magnesium, 400mg, 3x a day

Herbs for constipation:
    Cascara sagrada (for short-term relief)
    Senna (for short term relief)
    Barberry
    You will also be able to find herbal formulas specifically for constipation in your local health food store

Teas:
    Nettle tea: 3 cups daily is great bowel wakener
    Slipper Elm

----Taken from You Are What You Eat Dr. Gillian McKeith

Hope it helps (btw - the Magnesium in powder form called "CALM" ....if that doesn't send you to the bathroom....nothing will. Guaranteed!!!
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Coffee, yogurt, exercise (especially jogging) should help "move things along"

That was exactly what I was going to say. Cottage cheese and/or Kefir always stimulate my bowels. Often, when I walk/run in the am, I will drink a cup of coffee before I go out, and one to drink while I am walking, and it will make me have to go like crazy. Indian food does this to me sometimes as well.

I have been exercising every day and been more regular. Otherwise, I usually only go every 2-3 days.

My boyfriend eats greasy foods and processed junk constantly, and he goes up to 3 times a day! Maybe it's the beer...lol