Fair Food ?

Options
13»

Replies

• JossFit
    JossFit Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    turkey leg, corn on cob

Actually those turkey legs are about 1100 cals each, believe it or not.
  • juliesmom2
    juliesmom2 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Our fair had shave ice this year...the Hawaiian answer to a sno cone... A big one has about 1/8 cup Torani syrup (80 calories) and about two cups of finely shaved ice (much finer thatn sno cone) and if you get a sugarfree syrup its guilt-free, lasts a long time and is hydrating as well.

According to cottoncandy.net a 1 ounce cone of cotton candy (about the size you get at the fair) has around 100 calories (2 TBS sugar which is less sugar than a nondiet can of pop).

Kettle Corn has 130 calories for a two cup serving which also isn't bad.

Stay hydrated! I took my own disposable water bottle with me and refilled at the drinking fountains...

That being said...my two bites of funnel cake and three onion rings tasted pretty good!
  • NikkiSixGuns
    NikkiSixGuns Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    turkey leg, corn on cob

Actually those turkey legs are about 1100 cals each, believe it or not.

Thank you! I was just about to say the turkey legs are NOT safe! You're actually better off getting a small funnel cake (at least according to my calorie counter book).
  • FitAddictAmanda
    Options
    I don't typically try to "out-train my diet" so I found the one thing that fit into my eating plan and had that. I don't do carbs after lunch so I has a taco salad with no shell and it was great!
  • GlitterMamma11
    GlitterMamma11 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Share the food with someone? An Elephant Ear is the perfect snack for our family of four. We all share an order of curly fries and my Husband and I split a burger. :o) The Fair only comes once a year here so I let it be a cheat day and just enjoy!
  • arianamari3
    arianamari3 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Look for lean grilled meats (think kabobs), and if possible, bring a water bottle that you can refill. You may even be able to pack your own food or easy snacks to keep in a purse. Don't deny yourself a treat though. Pick one thing to share with someone and have fun :)
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    :blushing: Sorry, I'm no help. I wait all year for the ribbon fries, chicken pita with cucumber dressing and fried dough. I got in exercise that day so I actually wasn't over. It was so worth it
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    First, it's a special occassion . . .

That said . . .

ICE CREAM! Tastes good, not that fattening. Even has nutritional value. Get a single scoop or kiddy cone. Put strawberries on it. Skip the syrup.

A lot of fairs have fruit cups, which are yummy and good for you.

A hot dog or sausage aren't great for you, but they're only 200-300 calories. Get one on a stick and skip the roll.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    The fair!! :love:

Deep fried candy bar, cheese curds and cheese on a stick. I'ma be in SO much trubble :)

I just bought my admission tickets at the store a few minutes ago. I also bought watermelon and grapes, which are what I'm gonna have to eat for the next week to make up for the crap at the FAIR!

MMMMM
  • fisch122
    Options
    a turkey leg i read online today has over 1,000 calories!! and like, 50 something grams of fat! whoa!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Eat a nice healthy lunch before you go and pack an orange and apple to take along. Resist funnel cakes at all costs.
    Or do what I did and work out for 2 hours before you go.

This! I actually had about 1/3 of a funnel cake and was ok with it. Didn't thrill me as much as it did when I ate more sugary stuff. I worked out really hard before we went though. ;)
  • jpohoney
    jpohoney Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    We are going to the fair next week and we are going to bring out own lunch and going to eat dinner outside the fair just to save money so we can afford some treats. I am going to try one treat I am not sure yet what. I don't want to ruin my day with an upset tummy!
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Also meant to add that I totally brought my lunch and ate it. I don't care for most of the traditional fair foods though I did have a few bites of the turkey leg hubby bought.
  • micaelatron
    Options
    I'm going to the Iowa State Fair Sunday..I plan on gaining one pound from all the crap I will be eating but..it's fine. YOLO!