Any other runners here?

I'm trying to drop about 10 pounds. I run 5 miles a day or so. Since it's so hot - I've been drinking a G2 which is only 45 calories, but this is blowing half my sugar allotment for the day. Is there a better solution?

thanks in advance and hi!

Replies

• LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Regular water? Seriously, at only five miles, you really shouldn't need anything more. If you feel you do, though, check out coconut water. It's got natural electrolytes and a hell of a lot less sugar than G2. Good luck!
  • Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    I'm trying to drop about 10 pounds. I run 5 miles a day or so. Since it's so hot - I've been drinking a G2 which is only 45 calories, but this is blowing half my sugar allotment for the day. Is there a better solution?

thanks in advance and hi!

Hi! I use Propel Zero.
  • cburky911
    cburky911 Posts: 89 Member
    I use Power Ade Zero
  • jasondavey8562
    jasondavey8562 Posts: 2 Member
    Hi,

I've never used anything but Robinson's sugar-free squash with a pinch of salt if I'm running for more than an hour.
    If you watched the recent Horizon documentary, you'll have seen that you get zero benefit from all these fandagled sports nutrition products unless you're an elite althete and even then a large proportion of them don't bother with anything else but water or sugar-free juice with their own added salt and sugar ( you only need a pinch).

I've been running for 20 years and have tried all sorts but none of them have ever made any noticable difference as far as I can say.

Hope this helps.

All the best and good luck! :smile:
  • Everyone is probably going to tell you plain water, but I get tired of plain water sometimes. I have never been a big Gatorade fan so I found a recipe that seems to work well for me. 8 oz, pure cranberry juice. Make sure it is no sugar added. Then add 64 oz of water into a pitcher and stir. Drink through out the day, I often add a few frozen berries or mangos as I drink instead of ice. Over all it ends up being about 100 extra calories for the day if you drink the whole pitcher (which I do) but cranberry juice actually helps fight fat so it's worth it. This is found online as a fat flusher recipe.
  • shellyt1
    shellyt1 Posts: 119
    That is great your running 5 a day and it is hard with this heat. I get up early before it gets to bad and just drink regular water!
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    I drink MiO mostly. I like Powerade Zero but I'm not going to spend a dollar a bottle when I find myself drinking half a gallon at least after my longer runs. I've never had anything quite as refreshing as a mix of the black cherry and lemonade flavors.
  • I USED to drink alot of flavored "low calorie" drinks because plain water just tasted...plain (bland). After reading some articles on artificial sweeteners I have steered clear of these drinks. Adding lemon to my water adds flavor and no chemicals. I am a runner too.
  • shabaity
    shabaity Posts: 791 Member
    im a vitamin water drinker but thats because one im highly chemical sensitive and there is a lot of chlorine in my local water (gag pool water i swear) and according to my doc im not getting enough sodium or likely certian other vitamins anyways so he said go for it
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Everyone is different. I sweat an awful lot when I run, especially when I run outside. i've had problems with low potassium & getting bad headaches from it.

I do prefer gatorade - but I also love propel 0, SoBe zero & Vitamin Water 0 calories.
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    I sweat a ton and I woudn't drink gatorade after a 5 mile run. and by sweat a ton, I mean i will be completely drenched head to toe and have squishy shoes.

If you are having issues with cramping, I would suggest a nutritional supplement like endurolytes.
  • Digby
    Digby Posts: 27 Member
    I USED to drink alot of flavored "low calorie" drinks because plain water just tasted...plain (bland). After reading some articles on artificial sweeteners I have steered clear of these drinks. Adding lemon to my water adds flavor and no chemicals. I am a runner too.

This. For longer distance runs I add a blast of honey.
  • jporche77
    jporche77 Posts: 32 Member
    I sweat a ton and would cramp when I ran, but I just couldn't drink any of the gatorades. I stared using the NUUN tablets and I really like them and no cramping.
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    Gatorade Zero or Powerade Zero or good old fashioned water!
  • mortyfit
    mortyfit Posts: 354 Member
    I sweat a ton and would cramp when I ran, but I just couldn't drink any of the gatorades. I stared using the NUUN tablets and I really like them and no cramping.
    Ditto. Heavy sweating, NUUN does the trick, as well as PowerBar energy gels for longer runs, about every 45 minutes.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Just plain water for me as well. As my runs get longer I will likely try something else (especially in the Texas heat) but for now, up to 10 miles I'm fine on plain water.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Plain water for me too unless I'm running more that 10 miles or so in hot weather.

You should be able to replenish your electrolytes through the food you eat (when I do use sports drinks it's normally G2, I find regular Gatorade has way too much sugar in it)

Some of my friends make their own "sports drinks" by diluting orange juice and adding a pinch of salt.
  • kehuizenga
    kehuizenga Posts: 151
    When I am sick and having a hard time staying hydrated, I drink pedialyte. I'm not sure about the sugar content, but this might be something for you to consider.
  • RabidCarrot
    RabidCarrot Posts: 50 Member
    coconut water rehydrates as well as sports drinks and is low in calorie and sugar.
  • madmickie
    madmickie Posts: 221 Member
    Hi,

I've never used anything but Robinson's sugar-free squash with a pinch of salt if I'm running for more than an hour.
    If you watched the recent Horizon documentary, you'll have seen that you get zero benefit from all these fandagled sports nutrition products unless you're an elite althete and even then a large proportion of them don't bother with anything else but water or sugar-free juice with their own added salt and sugar ( you only need a pinch).

I've been running for 20 years and have tried all sorts but none of them have ever made any noticable difference as far as I can say.

Hope this helps.

All the best and good luck! :smile:

I'd listen to this. Water, tea coffee what ever - no need to be drinking anything you wouldnt otherwise drink - just drink a little more of it!