Why am I not losing weight??

Options
2»

Replies

• Lorisara75
    Options
    They aren't super intense. I've been running 2 miles once or twice a week and doing some weights once or twice a week. I haven't worked out in years so I'm just starting out trying to build up my strength and stamina.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    if youre just starting back up - read NROLFW - youll find unbelievable support for it here on MFP and a million success stories as well. if youre just getting back into it - I would start there :)
  • denmark979
    denmark979 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    i think the 1200 calories a day is generic. what if your body isn't burning that? the only way to really lose weight is to know what your body expend and know exactly what you're putting in (food wise). Calories in / Calories out..... good luck with that. i used the body bugg for awhile and that's when i found out my calories expenditure at that time. it was pretty low. so make sure you exercise and get moving.
  • Lorisara75
    Options
    what is NROLFW? Sorry i'm not familiar yet with the MFP jargon lol
  • tito7388
    tito7388 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Don't get discouraged especially with the fitness portion. Many people when they make the change to a fitness lifestyle initially gain weight, it's not uncommon. They get discouraged because they don't understand what's happening inside the body. Initially the muscles will absorb water to begin the repairing process and this many times explains the weight gain. A few suggestions:

1- When measuring don't go by weight first, this can be misleading and can be stressful. I would measure by body fat% and lean body mass, you should lose body fat and keep your LBM, this will results in inches going down but sometimes no weight loss and it's normal. Also take measurements of yourself as well as pictures (once a month on the pics) also see how clothing fits this is always a good way to see if you're really making an impact on body fat.
    2- Stick with your fitness program at least for 21days to start seeing results, many people get discouraged after week 1. Rome wasn't built in one day so patience is "KEY" remain calm and give it time to work
    3- Hydrate, this is important you must drink enough water. The number differs by person but this is key to get your metabolism going. Something that really helps people is chugging 16oz of water first thing in the morning (if you're weighing in do it after)
    4- Nutrition - probably the most important factor, many and I mean many get this wrong. The belief is that if you eat less you will lose, and yes you will lose but not much body fat. Three things you should know before planning your nutrition plan:
    a- Body fat%
    b- BMR - never eat below this
    c- TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure or BMR+DAC) this is probably a very important number. Once you know your TDEE I would suggest eating a deficit of 20% below this number, this is moderate and can provide body fat loss. People experiment with different numbers so I would suggest experimenting with the number also.
    I originally ate 1000 cals under my TDEE and it worked for a few months but then stopped so I reassessed my TDEE and am currently at 25% of a deficit from it and it's working for it.

Remember TDEE and BMR change as your body changes so I would suggest regularly adjusting these numbers.
    It's a lot to digest but this is a good start.

Wish you the best of luck and feel free to add me. A lot of this I have learned here and outside sources.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    what is NROLFW? Sorry i'm not familiar yet with the MFP jargon lol

itys quite alright- its not MFP - its the New Rules of Lifting for Women but you can google it as nrolfw too :)
  • hazeleyedjazz
    hazeleyedjazz Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue. I added 100 more calories a day and added in more protein and less carbs. It's coming off now.
    Lorisara75 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I started using MFP about a month ago. Before MFP I had horrible eating habits. One day I'd eat everything and the next day I'd eat nothing to "balance" things out. I'd lose two pounds and gain two pounds like every other day it was horrible. MFP has been great since I've been eating like a normal person meaning eating consistently thrughout the day and not punishing myself for eating foods like pizza or chocolate because I have been staying within my daily calories more or less. If I've gone over it's been by maybe 100 calories at most. I've only lost like half a pound though and it's been one month. I'm sure I haven't been eating enough vegetables and not drinking enough water. Could that be why? I'm also pretty active I workout 3 times a week and have dogs that I am constantly walking. Any thoughts anyone?
    Thanks