Does anyone just run anymore?

Options

Replies

• JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I just run.. Never been on any program.... I always pushed myself a little more when I needed to in the beginning..

A program might help motivate some in the beginning, so whatever works for the individual. :)

"Lift Heavy! Run Hard!" =D
    www.facebook.com/jenaesmithfitness
  • SouthernSkylark
    SouthernSkylark Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I've read lots of things and training plans/ideas but just do my own thing.... if it feels right for you then just do it I say :bigsmile:
  • flyingwrite
    Options
    Programs provide small attainable goals, which helps a non-runner become a runner. Everyone is different. I needed that. You don't. We're different. It also provides a sense of community which we all need. I can talk to other people who completed C25K and we can compare journeys. We can bond over common ground. Someone else's running experience may be different than mine, but the basic program is the same. Don't like running programs? Don't do them. Personally, I'm glad this one was there for me.
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm not on a program, I just...well..run

(=

I do intervals though, I can't just run my whole road(almost a mile long) so I run and then walk then runnnnnnn then walk =D
  • jealous_loser
    Options
    I use a program too. I like it because it tells me what to do. Without it, I would have just quit. I know myself that I need to see some sort of progression or I won't be happy doing it. If I am not happy doing it, then I quit doing it. I don't think I could have done this without the program.

Last run for C25K is tomorrow!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I suspect many people like the structure of a program, especially when they're first starting out.

To the OP, I did pretty much the same as you when I started back into running a few years ago, could barely make it around the block.

Most of the time my running is pretty unstructured - I'll decide which route I want to run as I head out the door - but when I'm building up for a race I prefer to follow a training plan.
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    It's all in what works for YOU! :) If "just running" is what works for you... then so be it. However, if you are running 5K, 10K, half marathon, full marathon... you are not "just running". You are TRAINING! :wink:

I just run all the time, but I always have a pre planned distance when I start out because that determines how fast I run from start to finish. It's nothing scientific. It's a workout, and it keeps me in running shape for when I do want to run one of those aforementioned events.

Kudos to you!!! Just running = working out = healthy!!! Keep up the good work, and good luck on your marathon!!!! :happy:

EDITED: New runners using a program like C25K gain one very important thing from it... LESS INJURIES!
  • matthej28
    matthej28 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Me!! I've never followed a plan, I just went a little bit further everytime. I remember when I could barely run a 1/4 of a mile. Now I can run a mile with ease, and 2 miles on a really good day. I would like to be able to fully run (w/out walk breaks) 3 miles, or a 5k. That's my next goal.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Programs are great, they keep people, including myself accountable.

For me, this is the exact reason.

I am also worried about pushing myself too hard too quickly, I have a long-standing knee injury, so I need to keep into account how it feels every time I try a new workout routine. Having something like C25K allows me to keep a time frame.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I was just running (I can run a 10K pretty much without running for 4 - 6 weeks), but I have a tough mudder coming up and the thought of going 10 - 12 miles without a program to additionally help me build speed seemed . . . impractical. It was a matter of trying to maximize the time I had in order to get the results I need.
  • determined136
    Options
    I just run...and I love it. Some days I feel like I can go forever....some days I can't.
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

Why does it need to be so scheduled, scientific and regimented?

Does anyone else just RUN?

NO, no one else but you. And Forest Gump.
  • ShaSimone
    ShaSimone Posts: 276
    Options
    I haven't done a C25K. I just run and try to meet a time goal (12 min mile) on the treadmill or elliptical (rest the knees day). When I run outdoors I just like to run and meet a distance goal like from my street main intersection to the next light without stopping, etc until I get further and further.
    I see what you mean about 'programs' I never needed it but others might need that help to reach a 5K goal. I was one that just went out there and did it whether I could run the whole thing the first time or not, and I set myself a goal to run further...faster...longer...
  • Emancipated_Tai
    Emancipated_Tai Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I started on C25K, but now I just run! Everyday at least 30 minutes. I love it :love:
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    My husband, he has been bored silly by my MFP obsession and then out of the blue one night decided to go for a run - I offered him my C25K and decent shoes and he went in squash shoes with no music or player at all
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Programs provide small attainable goals, which helps a non-runner become a runner. Everyone is different. I needed that. You don't. We're different. It also provides a sense of community which we all need. I can talk to other people who completed C25K and we can compare journeys. We can bond over common ground. Someone else's running experience may be different than mine, but the basic program is the same. Don't like running programs? Don't do them. Personally, I'm glad this one was there for me.

Seconding this :) I tried a few times in the past to "just run" and got discouraged because I couldn't do it very long. The c25k program helped me realized that I a) I'm capable if I take small steps b) I -am- accomplishing something and c) I'm not abnormal for needing a bit of structure to my goals :)
  • marywilsoncline
    marywilsoncline Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I don't do any plan. I just put my runners on and go run. I have no set distance so when I want to stop I stop. :happy:
  • domgirl85
    domgirl85 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Programs give people goals to reach. If I don't have a goal for doing something, I'll usually stop doing it. And if the goal is a marathon, you want to do well in it. No one wants to reach a goal only to see that they completed it but not well.

I started c25k because one of my goals is to be a runner. Using a program helps you push yourself slow so you can see your progression. It also helps so you don't overdo it and quit.
  • ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    If you're getting out there and running, you're doing it right. People who run without a training program are no better than people who schedule every run.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Everyone who runs (it seems) is on a "program". New runners do C25K. Others are training for a marathon using Hal (or someone similar). Am I the only one that just leaves the house and runs?

When I started running, I couldnt even go 1 mile. I just started running. When I couldnt go any further, I walked until I caught my breath. Then I ran some more. Eventually I could run a mile....then 2....then 3. So I did a 5k. Then I tried to run 4 miles, then 5...and on and on. I just kept going. Then I did a half marathon. Now I am scheduled for a full. Maybe I 'm an idiot but my plan is to just keep running...farther and farther.

Why does it need to be so scheduled, scientific and regimented?

Does anyone else just RUN?

NO, no one else but you. And Forest Gump.

:laugh: :laugh: I wish I could run like Forrest Gump!