Those who lost 20-30lbs... how long did it take you?

Options
I'm just curious how long it took you to lose the weight and what you did to lose it (ie. exercise regime, diet plan, cut out certain foods, etc.)?

I know it is different for everyone I am just curious to see everyone elses!

And if you have before/after pics I'd love to see them :)

Replies

• TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Great post. I need to lose 15 lbs., but would love to loose 20. I'll be watching for some replies as I have the same questions!!
  • africaa
    africaa Posts: 228
    Options
    we're already friends so you can look through my pics...it took me 3 months or less to lose 30 pounds :)

My eating habits suck..and still suck. I eat whatever I want, I just eat more veggies with it. As for exercise I workout like a maniac...it's Ramadan right now so I haven't been going hard as usual because I'm tired and lazy..but this is the last week so I should be back on it by Monday. I usually burn about 800-a little over 1000 cals when I workout I think that's why I've been losing and why my eating haven't affected anything
  • Bamatidwell
    Options
    It took me 3-4 months depends on how much time and cardio I did.
  • zsaoosh
    zsaoosh Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I lost 20 lbs in about 5 months but I have been stuck on those last 7 I want to loose for a few months!
  • lifechangecyndi
    Options
    Hello'.... It took me 6 months to lose 42 lbs......
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It took me about 90 days to lose 30.
  • Hugdarla
    Hugdarla Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I have lost just under 30 lbs and it has taken me almost 5 months. I have lost that amount of weight faster in the past but have gained it back nearly as quickly. My new goal is to do this right and keep it off. I do pretty well at keeping to 1200 calories (more protein, less sugar and carbs) during the week, sometimes on the weekends. I also joined a fitness boot camp, Camp Gladiator that is one hour M-F for four weeks on, one week off. I have more good days than bad and I am in this for the long haul. I still need to lose 20-30 more. Good luck!
  • mommiejohnsonof6
    mommiejohnsonof6 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I lost 23 pounds in 5 months . I exercised almost everyday a lot of cardio, drunk a lot of water and change my snacking (friut , kellogs cracker chips. skinny cow candy. skinny cow ice cream . instead of my favorite sour cream and onion utz potato chips . It came of pretty easy but im stuck now want to lose 30 more.
  • danyeinarson
    Options
    Well, I lost about 50 pounds in three months. Mostly because I was sick, but because I was home a lot I did more exercising and watched what I ate more. I also drank a lot more water and less dark colas - eliminating soda pop alone can help shed the pounds easily. Unfortunately, when I got better I ate a lot of food and gained a bit back. But really, get rid of sugary drinks! You'll watch the weight just melt off :)
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,397 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It varies by the amount of weight you have to lose to get in a normal weight. At your weight 1/2 - 1 lb a week is what you should aim for. Also be careful with under eating as you can increase the amount of muscle loss (this also happens with too much cardio). If you eat 20% below your TDEE and do heavy weight training (3 days a week) you will increase fat loss. And as I always say, weight loss makes you look good in clothes but fat loss will make you look good naked.
  • somedaysoon84
    Options
    i've been at it since the first of march (5.5 months) and i've lost almost 40 pounds.

i have added lots of veggies, and though i still eat the things i want to, i do it in moderation. i am on 1200 a day calories, and i don't go over unless i work out on the elliptical.

i'm steady losing 1-1.5 pounds a week.
  • Tilran
    Tilran Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    It completly depends on how much you weigh. If you are extreamly overweight, you will drop more in 3 months then someone who is just slightly overweight or average looking to be thinner.

So this questions is a bit bunk. A better question would be to give your weight and height and ask people of similar size to tell you how long it took them to lose.
  • tammys_changing
    Options
    bump
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I've lost 19 in 3 months. I had a hysterectomy the beginning of May so I didn't really start working out or exercise at all til' June. I eat 1200 calories a day and mostly healthy ones. A lot of chicken, some steak, Tons of green salad and fruits! I also drink at least 80 oz of water everyday!

As far as exercise I walk/jog 3 miles 5-6 times per week. I am going to start doing Zumba and 30 DS again as the last couple weeks have been small losses. Time for a change up!
  • shan899
    shan899 Posts: 40
    Options
    When I lost weight the first time it took me about 5 months to lose 20 lbs. Typically they say (depending on how much you have to lose) that 5lbs a month is healthy.

I gained all my weight back last spring (the 20lbs I lost) so I am here again, doing things differently. Before, I exercised like CRAZY and still ate whatever I wanted...DON'T DO THIS. A good diet requires exercise and a BALANCED diet. Not WHATEVER you want in the amount of calories allowed.

My advice for a 30lb goal is to shoot for 6months. If you lose it in less time, than awesome but patience is key.
    *Lots of water!!!!!
    *Sleep
    *Control stress (stress is what made me gain weight back)
    *Lots of natural food, try to limit the amount of processed foods.
  • bicoastalgirl
    bicoastalgirl Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i lost my first 30 pounds in about 7 months. I started with MFP and walking in March 2011. That was the first 19 pounds. In May 2011, I started walking. That was the next 16 pounds. I lost the last 11 pounds after I added in circuit training on my non-run days.
  • OTchic
    OTchic Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    it took me 5 months to lose 20lbs. but keep in mind i would eat 2 plates of pasta a week with pieces of breadsticks. i would have dessert like 5 times a week be it 3 cinammon rolls or a slice of chocolate fudge cake yes VERY DISGUSTING. so thru eating healthy 80/20 of the time and working out i lost the weight!
  • dhiammarath
    dhiammarath Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 30 pounds in about 2 months, however, I had a LOT to lose and I'd never exercised (really) before. Even when I was skinny in HS, I was never fond of exercising!

If you're only 20 pounds away from your goal, you're definitely going to lose it slower. My weight loss has definitely slowed down to a healthy 1-2lbs/week after that initial burst. Now it's coming off muuuuuuuch more slowly, but I'm also building muscle at the same time, so! I try to go more by my clothes than by the scale.

It's hard though! Good luck to you!!
  • Elisac2008
    Elisac2008 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    so far i have lost 14 pounds in 2 months. in the past i have done 30 pounds in about 4 months. i aim to exercise 4 days for 90 minutes.
  • LadyL2012
    LadyL2012 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on how heavy you start. If you start out only a bit overweight it's going to take you a hell of a lot longer than if you start out obese.

I started off about a stone/stone and a half overweight and it has taken me 2 months to lose approx 14lbs, and that is on and absolute minimum 'safe' calorie diet.