Those who lost 20-30lbs... how long did it take you?

Options

Replies

• letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I've lost 20 pounds in 6 weeks. On a 900-1000 calorie diet, which is quite easy as I work 60-70 hours per week and get about 10 mins break a day (guess my profession...)
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Just hit the 21 lbs. mark and been working on & watching calories since March. I had awhile the past few months were I lost and gained back the same 3-4 lbs. (frustrating) but I stuck with it and tried to make some changes to get myself losing again. Good luck!
  • profgal43
    profgal43 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I've lost 17 pounds in 4 months. I am about halfway there. I am also 48 years old so its taking longer than it has in the past, which is why I am 100% resolved not to have to do this again! I started running three days a week, walk almost every day and I eat a 1200 calorie diet most every day. It's slow going but I am happy to be on the right track.
  • missikay1970
    missikay1970 Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    to lose 20, it took 3 1/2 months. sorry i felt like i didn't answer your original question, i just told how long it took to lose what i've lost so far. :smile:
  • mystikalbeanz
    mystikalbeanz Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    It has taken me a little over 7 months to lose almost 30 pounds. I am 5 foot 5.5 and started out at 177.4, and this week I finally hit 150. I'm pretty close to my goal weight now so I figure i'll probably continue losing slowly...maybe even more slowly since my body doesn't lose easily once I hit the 160s and below. I've lost this same weight faster before, but I was eating too few calories and not exercising. This time I have my cals set to between 1400 and 1600 before exercise and I really worked on getting healthier and being able to work out harder instead of extremely restricting my cals like I had before. I want to be really fit for the first time in my life instead of just thin, exhausted and not eating.

Im so glad you posted this because im 5'4 164pds and my pounds dont seem to want to budge! Although i have lost some inches! I eat 1600 calories a day and when i exercise i eat most of those back too. I had to up my calories in order to start finally lsoing weight! I was eating 1300 calories and doing 40 mins of cardio 5 days a week and my weight didnt budge! So it seems like the less weight you have to lose the harder it is to come off and the longer it takes!
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted it yet so it's not on my ticker, but I had lost 23 pounds as if this morning. I joined May 1 - so that's 103 days or something.

Frankly, I've been dead lazy and feel guilty it's been so easy. I set for a pound a week. My only exercising is walking. I always ate pretty healthy, so I just hit my calorie goals MFP set.

Only things I've changed . . .

Try to keep carbs under 50%
    Eat much less bread, tortillas, rice, cakes, cookies just because they have a ton of calories.
    Eat very small portions of high cal things I love (e.g., ice cream, chocolate)

I eat something whenever I am hungry at all, but none of them have many calories.

It's been so easy and it has made me look so much better, I am going to set my goal to lose another 10 pounds. The fact that it has been so easy just shows you that I shouldn't have gained it to start with and probably need to drop more. My weight has been dropping faster and faster, and I am less and less hungry, which is weird to me. I have dropped at least 5 pounds in the last week.

Which is all good, though it makes me vaguely nervous. It's like my body has flipped a switch and decided to go back to it's old 'normal' weight.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    28 lbs. Roughly 110 days.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Oops, I forgot to list what I had done. Counted calories, walking, and yoga.
  • Restybaby2012
    Restybaby2012 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 32 pounds in just shy of 4 weeks but.......and that's a huge butt (LMAO).........I have quite a lot to lose but

I can......

.............and so can you

I have some health issues that you probably dont have so I have to take my exercise in bits n pieces...tiny bits....like 3 or 4 times a day for 10 or 15 minutes each. But the bestest thing I did was come here and log everything I eat (which I still suck at but am getting better)....and I read a LOT here how others eat, what they eat, when they eat and see if I can incorporate it in to my daily life.

Its working
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    It took me 7 months to lose 26lbs! :) It came down to counting calories, cutting out a lot of processed foods and replacing them with more fruits and veggies, working out 5-6 days a week for at least 30 minutes! I set myself a goal to lose a half a pound a week...I figured if I took it slow I would keep it off! :)
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    Options
    I've lost 24 lbs in 2.5 months. That's two pant sizes.

I did it by eating well and a variety of daily exercises as well as weight lifting every other day. I don't go to the gym. I don't eat perfectly but I'm always under 1200 calories per day. I don't eat back my exercise calories and I don't always get enough water. I don't take cheat days or rest days and I record my weight every few days (sometimes daily). I still go out to eat once or twice a week but we go to restaurants that have healthier options. The key to success for each individual is to find a plan that works for you. Mine has become a lifestyle change that also benefits my family and my dogs. :)
  • shorty35565
    shorty35565 Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    It took me a 4 months and sum odd days to lose 30lbs. The way I did it wasn't the best way, but I didn't kno any better back then, so I wouldn't recommend doing it that. No, I didn't starve myself, but I ate low which isn't good & lost more muscle than I had too. So I won't say how I did it, cuz u dont need to do it like me. But I've lost 57lbs now & it's been almost a yr. I went from 185.2 to 127.4 (so almost 58lbs) Here is my b4 & so far pictures.
    progress-2.png
    I dont have a true b4 picture, but I look pretty much the same, cuz I lost 8lbs the 1st week (water weight), so not much fat loss between then and 175.
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    just guessing on your pictures, it would take you about 6 months just because you look thin now... does that make sense? i have to lose 30 more pounds and i am aiming for February for my goal to be complete.
  • kls13la
    kls13la Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I went from 146 lbs to 131 lbs in eleven weeks. Not quite 20 lbs yet, but you are starting around the same as where I was, so I thought it might be useful for you.
  • jrutledge01
    jrutledge01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    20lbs=50 days for me, but it will be different for everybody. take your time (basically my meal plan is i eat 2 servings of kielbasa or 4 eggs over easy for breakfast, skip lunch, and eat out for dinner.. it's not ideal)
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    I had lost 30 lbs in 3.5 months mainly with diet control but you can say 20 percent effort through on and off exercising. I have observed here at mfp and have also make my target to lose 100 lbs in one full year. Keeping my fingers crossed:)
  • mundih
    mundih Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    i lost my first 20 pounds in 5 months just cuz i was excersizing a lot and not eating right. as soon as i got my eating under control the weight just came rolling off.
  • tracyt84
    tracyt84 Posts: 15
    Options
    ive lost 64lb since may but i had a gastric band fitted xx
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I lost 55 pounds in about four months. I did, however, put some back on, but I am now only 7 pounds over my lowest weight.
  • tonilizzy88
    tonilizzy88 Posts: 968 Member
    Options
    waw i suck it took me a wopping 13 moths to loose 22 pounds :sad: ive one from 181lbs rto 159lbs im 5ft8
    i did it through running my diet still isnt amazing