Running...help or hinder weight loss??

Options

Replies

• sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Lots of replies. . . my 2 cents: IF you are burning enough calories running to help create a deficit, you should see the scale move. I had lost about 20 lbs before I started running. . .it took months. Then, when I started training for the half marathon. . .another 12 pounds slipped off in quite short order. I was controlling my calorie intake, burning quite a bit on 4 runs a week, and strength training. So, I'd say up the effort/miles and watch watch watch the calories in.

But, my biggest hope for you is that you develop a love for running. It's so freeing to get out and GO! No mirrors, no machines, just you, the trail/road/pavement/etc, and maybe some music. It's a the best kept secret of running!!!
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    richardsross.jpg
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    richardsross.jpg

You don't get there with *just* running, though.

"To perfect her stride and running economy, Richards-Ross relies heavily on interval work. Close to competition, she will run a few 600s, resting five to 10 minutes in between. Then, she’ll dive into 12 grueling intervals of 200 meters that she has to finish in fewer than 30 seconds. She rests two minutes between sprints. But in an event during which the first three to four seconds can determine the outcome, strength and power are key.
    “My weight-room work varies depending on the time of year, but in the early season, we’re doing circuit training,” she says. “During that time, I may be doing bodyweight stuff like pull-ups, push-ups and dips to get ready for the next phase, which is more dynamic. Then, we get into snatches, power cleans, overhead squats, leg extensions, leg presses and Romanian deadlifts for hamstring stabilization.”"
    http://www.muscleandperformancemag.com/departments/profile/2012/2/olympic-strength
  • keeponkickin
    keeponkickin Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    richardsross.jpg

You don't get there with *just* running, though.

"To perfect her stride and running economy, Richards-Ross relies heavily on interval work. Close to competition, she will run a few 600s, resting five to 10 minutes in between. Then, she’ll dive into 12 grueling intervals of 200 meters that she has to finish in fewer than 30 seconds. She rests two minutes between sprints. But in an event during which the first three to four seconds can determine the outcome, strength and power are key.
    “My weight-room work varies depending on the time of year, but in the early season, we’re doing circuit training,” she says. “During that time, I may be doing bodyweight stuff like pull-ups, push-ups and dips to get ready for the next phase, which is more dynamic. Then, we get into snatches, power cleans, overhead squats, leg extensions, leg presses and Romanian deadlifts for hamstring stabilization.”"
    http://www.muscleandperformancemag.com/departments/profile/2012/2/olympic-strength

I didn't say anything...let alone say she got there with just running. There's a balance. Sure, run..but you need to push the weights. Balance is the key.
  • Lanfear
    Lanfear Posts: 524
    Options
    My personal experience...

I started running at the end of last year (over a year after I achieved my goal weight, so I took it up out of curiosity rather than a desire to lose weight). Nothing extreme: about 3.5 miles 3 - 5 times/week. Been doing it ever since.

I didn't lose at all during the first 5 months of running. I actually gained a couple of pounds.

About three months ago I added in more strength training using free weights and body-weight exercises. I'd been doing some prior to then, but pretty moderate amounts. I doubled the weight I was lifting and within a month I noticed my weight dropping. Overall it's dropped about 5 pounds, and I have far more defined and noticeable muscle than I did prior to increasing the weight training.

Not sure why it's gone down instead of up (since muscle weighs more than fat) but whatever. My clothes fit better, I've lost inches, and I like the way my body looks now.

That's just what happened for me. Short story - I highly recommend resistance training!

Good luck!

This post right here ^^^^^^^^

I took up running to help shift the last 7lbs I wanted to get rid off. Running helps to keep my weight about right, but the ONLY change I've noticed in any of my muscle definition has been in the last 3 months - and it's been from doing weights/lifting heavy (haha my idea of heavy, that is!). Running left my "skinny fat" to say the least. I run 3x a week, minimum of 6 or 7 miles x 2 and one 10-12 miler - so I should have been burning fat like a good 'un - but I wasn't. Or not so you'd notice. Until I hit the weights.

If you want a DVD or something to follow then give Chalean Extreme a go - you can do it with resistance bands if you don't have weights. I've found it really good - I find it easier to follow than a book because I can see someone actually doing the exercise so I know what I'm supposed to be doing.

Best of luck!
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I love to run! I can a)tell I have lost fat and b) tell I have gained muscle. My waist/hips arenas as big but my thighs are bigger. I am in Colorado and run outside so everything I run is up hill to an extent (meaning I don't long run the Rockies every weekend).

The people saying you won't build from running aren't doing to right. Run a hill and you will gain muscle! I don't lift at all, body weight work outs only

People aren't saying you can't build muscle from running. Hills and Sprints will build muscle. Just going out for a 2 mile run on a flat path or treadmill, isn't going to do it.

***Edit*** To the point that you'd really notice.

Which is why I pointed out *I* see results because *I* am in Colorado and its very hilly so if general you want results from just running to hit the hills
  • tbresina
    tbresina Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    First off.. You are not gaining muscle.. not even a teeny tiny bit. Unless you doing heavy strength training, eating in a calorie surplus and taking steroids, there is no way muscle is being gained.

Wow, there's some BS. Steroids??? You can't gain muscle without steroids? Runners DO get muscle gain in their legs (though not likely with a calorie deficit). They don't need steroids to do it. I'm not even convinced you can't gain a little muscle WITH a calorie deficit because my thigh muscles have certainly seemed to get larger. But the steroids comment is just ridiculous.

Wrong again! anytime to train a specific muscle group, lets say the legs that is needed for running you will gain a certain amount of muscle. Didn't it ever occur to you that holding up the rest of your body while running was putting the stress needed to define and build those muscles. Are you going to go all iron man on anyone, no.......but you will build up those muscles!

Glad to see I wasn't the only one that had difficulty with this post.

Glad to see that you two are clearly special snowflakes.

Women have a hard time gaining muscle anyway due to lack of testoerone.. hence where the steroid comment comes into play.

I run for about 2.5 miles, 2 to 3 times a week plus I lift and I am not gaining muscle.. and I highly doubt OP is either.

What you two are most likely seeing is the muscle becoming more pronounced due to fat loss.. but it is highly unlikely that you are building muscle doing long distance running.
  • rocksyraeis
    Options
    OP your thread has become a debate teams latest project lol heres a fact for you...

Dieters lose up to 40% more weight if strength training is applied with cardio. If all your looking for is a lean skinny look keep running if u want to lean out, tone up, and convert the fat you already have strength train along with your cardio.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    I love to run! I can a)tell I have lost fat and b) tell I have gained muscle. My waist/hips arenas as big but my thighs are bigger. I am in Colorado and run outside so everything I run is up hill to an extent (meaning I don't long run the Rockies every weekend).

The people saying you won't build from running aren't doing to right. Run a hill and you will gain muscle! I don't lift at all, body weight work outs only

People aren't saying you can't build muscle from running. Hills and Sprints will build muscle. Just going out for a 2 mile run on a flat path or treadmill, isn't going to do it.

***Edit*** To the point that you'd really notice.

Which is why I pointed out *I* see results because *I* am in Colorado and its very hilly so if general you want results from just running to hit the hills

You said "the people who aren't gaining muscle from running aren't doing it right". It depends on what results you're looking for for it to be right or wrong... just say'n.
  • flowgal
    flowgal Posts: 4
    Options
    Hi,

I am still fairly new to running. I usually run/walk 4-5 times a week for about 2.5 miles. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks or so. I am not really seeing any weight loss. Just wondering if you think it helps or hinders you?? I know that I am building muscle, just wondering when I will be able to lose at least another 10 pounds to be in my healthy bmi. Sometimes when I am unusally stressed (like yesterday) I will do a couple of runs. Maybe I am overtraining??? What are the signs of that?? I have my calories set at 1700 but almost never eat over 1400. Just have such a curbed appetite since I started running... Thank you so much!!

Hi! Running definitely helps me lose weight, though it has been slow and gradual. I started running in February of 2011, and since then have lost around 25lbs. I am really close to my goal weight though, which I think is a major contributor to the slowness of my loss.

One thing I can tell you is that rest days are just as important as your running/walking days! I usually see a 1-2lb gain after my short runs during the week, which is lost the next day (which is always a rest day). And for me, it has to be a rest day...if I do any kind of exercise (except easy walking), then I retain the water until I take a rest day. So what works best for me is a run every other day, with a rest day in between.

Right now I am doing run/walk intervals for my runs, and I have increased my daily and weekly milage in preparation for some upcoming races. Since I started tracking calories and upped my milage, I have started to lose weight more consistently. So I think you should stick with the running!! Just fiddle with your training regimen to see what will work best for you. At minimum, you are DEFINITELY improving your cardiovascular health and overall endurance, and as you find the best running workout for you, you should start to see a weight loss. :) In the meantime, since you didn't say, how are your clothes fitting you? You may not be losing weight per se (due to water retention), but hopefully you are seeing some differences in your measurements!
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    First off.. You are not gaining muscle.. not even a teeny tiny bit. Unless you doing heavy strength training, eating in a calorie surplus and taking steroids, there is no way muscle is being gained.

Wow, there's some BS. Steroids??? You can't gain muscle without steroids? Runners DO get muscle gain in their legs (though not likely with a calorie deficit). They don't need steroids to do it. I'm not even convinced you can't gain a little muscle WITH a calorie deficit because my thigh muscles have certainly seemed to get larger. But the steroids comment is just ridiculous.

Women have a hard time gaining muscle anyway due to lack of testoerone.. hence where the steroid comment comes into play.

I run for about 2.5 miles, 2 to 3 times a week plus I lift and I am not gaining muscle.. and I highly doubt OP is either.

What you two are most likely seeing is the muscle becoming more pronounced due to fat loss.. but it is highly unlikely that you are building muscle doing long distance running.
    Wrong again! anytime to train a specific muscle group, lets say the legs that is needed for running you will gain a certain amount of muscle. Didn't it ever occur to you that holding up the rest of your body while running was putting the stress needed to define and build those muscles. Are you going to go all iron man on anyone, no.......but you will build up those muscles!

So your telling me that If I keep lifting the same amount of weight over and over(which is what running does essiantly, since it's body weight that you are lifting) that I will build muscle and get stronger? I think not.

In order for muscle to build and strength to happen, you need to keep overloading the muscle...lifting my body weight day after day running, means my body is going to get used to that and stop responding.. which means strength and muscle building stop. In order to get that to start up again, I'd need to add some sort of weight.. which is kind of hard to do running since most people use running to lose weight and not gain it.

Slice it anyway you like, but the effects of muscle building during running will eventually stop.. and to get it going again, you need to lift weights.
  • skinnygurl02
    skinnygurl02 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I am still fairly new to running. I usually run/walk 4-5 times a week for about 2.5 miles. I have been doing this for about 6 weeks or so. I am not really seeing any weight loss. Just wondering if you think it helps or hinders you?? I know that I am building muscle, just wondering when I will be able to lose at least another 10 pounds to be in my healthy bmi. Sometimes when I am unusally stressed (like yesterday) I will do a couple of runs. Maybe I am overtraining??? What are the signs of that?? I have my calories set at 1700 but almost never eat over 1400. Just have such a curbed appetite since I started running... Thank you so much!!

Hi! Running definitely helps me lose weight, though it has been slow and gradual. I started running in February of 2011, and since then have lost around 25lbs. I am really close to my goal weight though, which I think is a major contributor to the slowness of my loss.

One thing I can tell you is that rest days are just as important as your running/walking days! I usually see a 1-2lb gain after my short runs during the week, which is lost the next day (which is always a rest day). And for me, it has to be a rest day...if I do any kind of exercise (except easy walking), then I retain the water until I take a rest day. So what works best for me is a run every other day, with a rest day in between.

Right now I am doing run/walk intervals for my runs, and I have increased my daily and weekly milage in preparation for some upcoming races. Since I started tracking calories and upped my milage, I have started to lose weight more consistently. So I think you should stick with the running!! Just fiddle with your training regimen to see what will work best for you. At minimum, you are DEFINITELY improving your cardiovascular health and overall endurance, and as you find the best running workout for you, you should start to see a weight loss. :) In the meantime, since you didn't say, how are your clothes fitting you? You may not be losing weight per se (due to water retention), but hopefully you are seeing some differences in your measurements!

Thank you for your advice. I am really enjoying it. It is so hard for me to take a rest day...running seems to be a real stress reliever for me...I really do need to take measurements though:)
  • klewlis
    klewlis Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    As a trail runner, I have to vouch for the definition of runners' legs. I love my legs when I'm doing lots of running, especially trail running (anyone who thinks that running is repetitive or doesn't build muscle clearly hasn't run any mountains...).

Yes your body can "eat" your muscles if you don't fuel it properly. But that generally happens after glycogen stores are gone, and most people aren't running that long (it takes around 20 miles in one run to do that... that's why people "hit the wall" around the 20 mile mark of a marathon). You can also push that boundary back through training.

But that's off-topic. You asked about weight loss. I have to say that the only time I lose weight from running is when my mileage is really high (70-100km per week). Otherwise it's for cardiovascular health, general fitness, stress relief, and the joy of the run.

I know plenty of other people who HAVE lost weight with running though (including one friend who lost over 100lb through running and healthy eating). I think it varies a lot from person to person and includes lots of factors... like what other activities you're doing, how much weight you need to lose, and how many calories you're eating.

What I love about mfp is that they count the exercise into your daily calorie goal... so I say aim for that goal (that means eat back enough calories for your activity). Too little and you won't be adequately fueled.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options
    Right on! I dare anyone to look at my calf muscles and tell me that running doesn't strengthen legs!
  • WAMarathoner
    Options

• airbender1971
    airbender1971 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have lost most of my weight running, but I icrease my speed to full for 30-40 sec than run steady for a song....back to full speed ahead. Confusion works well on the body. I also do Jillean's CD which is weight training. My legs have never been so tone!!! keep up the great work...just do interval training. Take days off too!!!
  • bohonomad
    bohonomad Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I prefer walking uphill at a moderate-slow pace because you get basically the same burn with less strain. There's a saying you don't run to get fit, you get fit to run. Depending on how heavy you are it can kill your joints. I have bad hips and it puts me out of the gym for a few days because it messes up my hip so bad when I run.
  • WAMarathoner
    Options

Jeez, I hate to call you ignorant, but since you don't worry about insulting people, I won't either. If you're running a whopping 7.5 miles a week, you aren't going to lose much weight or build muscle. But a nice 5 miles run will burn anywhere from 400 to 800 calories, depending on your weight and how fast you do it. Do that 5 times in a week and it's at least half a pound lost. Calories are calories - if you burn enough of them, you lose weight. It really IS just that simple.

Growing muscles is a little different - there's a mountain of evidence that running the same distance over the same terrain at the same pace isn't very effective. But by spicing up your schedule (long days, short days, speed days, hill days) you should keep from hitting that plateau. And I agree with another great post earlier - one of the best ways to keep your body guessing is to run trails. The constant changes in elevation, stride, etc. really works.
  • flowgal
    flowgal Posts: 4
    Options
    Right on! I dare anyone to look at my calf muscles and tell me that running doesn't strengthen legs!
    Totally agree with you there! When I was younger and skinny, I had no calf definition. But since I started running, I have started to develop some...LOL, I am so astonished by it that I keep bugging my husband and pointing it out!
  • phjamo
    phjamo Posts: 5 Member
    Options