Healthy Cooking Discussion: Cooking Oil

So I know oil is evil and basically just fat in liquid form but sometimes we have to use it to cook.

What is the lowest calorie oil to cook with that will still give the desired results?

Are there some oils that may have a slightly higher calorie count but they make such a difference in cooking that we let them slide?

Discuss.

Replies

• deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    All oils are pretty high in calories, and 100 percent fat. I don't use oil at all anymore,and I don't miss it a bit. It is easy to cook most things without it.
  • angelraguel
    angelraguel Posts: 142 Member
    i use olive oil but you have to cook it on a low heat other wise it turns into saturated fat! olive oil is good for you! I would prefer to use coconut oil as that is the best option but its way to expensive over here at a total of about £16... =s!
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    You could use cooking spray, that's what I use when I'm too high in calories for the day, its like 5 calories per spray. I love putting olive oil in everything mmmmm
  • Elphie87
    Elphie87 Posts: 40
    Coconut oil? Does that give food a coconut flavor at all? I've never even heard of it!
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Oil = fat. Fat = oil. If you have a problem with too much fat in your diet, use less oil.

Having said that, fat is not your enemy. Too much fat is your enemy. If you are within your daily allotment of fat and can afford to use it, use it! The key is a balanced diet, not a fat-free one.
  • CF4L
    CF4L Posts: 58 Member
    All oil is basically 120 calories per tbsp and oil is not the devil
  • trixiemou
    trixiemou Posts: 554 Member
    I only use olive oil. Some meals I will not stir fry the vegetables first but will simmer them in a little water and seasoning. Other times I really do just take the oil into consderation, its too good to miss out all of the time. I would rather not use the one cal sprays they taste like plastic,
  • myfitnessnmhoy
    myfitnessnmhoy Posts: 2,105 Member
    Coconut oil? Does that give food a coconut flavor at all? I've never even heard of it!

I use it a lot, and I've never noticed much flavor from it. There is a slight coconut-like overtone, I suppose. But it's not that noticeable.

However, it's also what I use a lot so I may have just become used to the flavor being in everything I cook with oil. :)

You do get a delightfully tropical smell from it when it heats up, though. I like it. Some people don't.

Coconut oil is what I use for cooking. Extra virgin olive oil is what I use for flavoring.
  • Olive oil is best, but use sparingly. Two tablespoons has more fat than a big Mac. And coconut oil is the new thing but no research shows its any more healthy than olive or canola. Happy cooking!
    (my fav is saunteeing zucchini green beans asparagus etc in two tsp olive oil and garlic cloves :) YUM!)
  • Elphie87
    My fat counts are actually usually pretty low but I don't really watch them. I try to stay within my calories first and then carbs and then protein and then sodium and then MAYBE fat. I'm not fat phobic, I swear.

I'm just REALLY into healthy substitutes. It's helped me lose a lot of weight and in the past and I thought there might be a healthy alternative to cooking oil.

That's all! No need to worry!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Fat is not the devil. You need it in your diet. You won't get fat eating fat.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    I use those low calorie oil sprays, its only 1 calorie per spray.
  • Elphie87
    I use those low calorie oil sprays, its only 1 calorie per spray.

Will have to look into that, thanks!

Also, BEST. AVATAR. PICTURE. EVER.
  • nhernan6
    nhernan6 Posts: 21
    Coconut Oil is awesome - I have even used it on my toast
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Oil and fat are not the enemy, in fact cutting them out is probably hurting most of you more than helping. The best types of oil to use that are healthy are:

Olive oil
    Coconut oil
    Beef tallow
    Lard
    Bacon grease
    Duck fat

Anything HYDROGINATED is horrible trans fat, and should not be used. Vegtables oils are all complete garbage, and little do people know are completely rancid before they even make it to the store shelf (where as something like beef tallow will keep at room temp for a year or more).
  • Elphie87
    Ok, both hands in the air, waiving the white flag...

I was being sarcastic, I didn't really mean to imply that all fat is evil. I was just being silly.

What I should have asked is what the healthiest oils are.

Thanks to those of you giving real input though, you all rock.

Crawling back to my corner of MFP land...
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    :smile: :smile:
    Ok, both hands in the air, waiving the white flag...

I was being sarcastic, I didn't really mean to imply that all fat is evil. I was just being silly.

What I should have asked is what the healthiest oils are.

Thanks to those of you giving real input though, you all rock.

Crawling back to my corner of MFP land...

You didn't come across as being sarcastic in your post. :smile: It would have been better to ask your question straight out. There's a lot of misinformation floating around and it's difficult to determine those being facetious and those in earnest.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    I use coconut oil and extra virgin olive oil.
  • bathsheba_c
    bathsheba_c Posts: 1,873 Member
    Okay, so basically, all fats have the same number of calories per volume. Where oils differ is in the kind of fat, and the smoking point (i.e. at what temperature it starts to burn). Any oil that is solid at room temperature, including animal fats and coconut oil, contains saturated fat, which is not healthy for you. Liquid oils, such as olive, canola, and vegetable oil are made from unsaturated fats, which are an important part of your diet.

So, beyond that, the primary consideration should be cooking temperature. Olive oil is full of nutrients, but it's flavor is easily destroyed and it has a low smoking point, so it is best used either when no heat is applied (dressing salad, on bread, etc.) or where something is being cooked at a low heat. Canola oil has a higher smoking point and a very mild flavor, so it is better for frying things.

Please ignore everything marll said regarding which fats are healthy for you, except regarding hydrogenated oils and margerine. There is a little bit of a fashion I've noticed in the diet world to say that all the things we thought were unhealthy are really healthy. They aren't usually, or only in moderation.

Also you need fat in your diet in order to absorb many nutrients from food, including, by the way, from vegetables.
  • jerbear1962
    jerbear1962 Posts: 1,157 Member
    grapeseed oil has a high burn point...I keep a small bottle for occasion.