Healthy Cooking Discussion: Cooking Oil

Replies

• I only use extra virgin olive oil for salads and such, and coconut oil for high heat cooking.
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    I literally just ordered some virgin organic coconut oil to try out. Right now we use vegetable/canola/EVolive sparingly. We'll see once the coconut oil arrives.
  • StarvingDiva
    StarvingDiva Posts: 1,107 Member
    I use virgin coconut oil to cook it.
  • Fat goes to fat stores, only miniscule amounts are needed and you get them anyway in a balanced diet. No need to add it on purpose. You want olive oil ? eat olives. Butter ? drink milk. Coconut ? aren't you full already from the olives and the milk:)
  • LowcarbNY
    LowcarbNY Posts: 546 Member

Please ignore everything marll said regarding which fats are healthy for you,

Please ignore everything bathsheba_c said

Because many of the the things thought to be healthy are not and are worse that the "unhealthy" thing they were to replace.
  • Elphie87
    Elphie87 Posts: 40
    Okay, so basically, all fats have the same number of calories per volume. Where oils differ is in the kind of fat, and the smoking point (i.e. at what temperature it starts to burn). Any oil that is solid at room temperature, including animal fats and coconut oil, contains saturated fat, which is not healthy for you. Liquid oils, such as olive, canola, and vegetable oil are made from unsaturated fats, which are an important part of your diet.

So, beyond that, the primary consideration should be cooking temperature. Olive oil is full of nutrients, but it's flavor is easily destroyed and it has a low smoking point, so it is best used either when no heat is applied (dressing salad, on bread, etc.) or where something is being cooked at a low heat. Canola oil has a higher smoking point and a very mild flavor, so it is better for frying things.

Please ignore everything marll said regarding which fats are healthy for you, except regarding hydrogenated oils and margerine. There is a little bit of a fashion I've noticed in the diet world to say that all the things we thought were unhealthy are really healthy. They aren't usually, or only in moderation.

Also you need fat in your diet in order to absorb many nutrients from food, including, by the way, from vegetables.

This is very helpful, thank you!
  • Apazman
    Apazman Posts: 494 Member
    Oil = fat. Fat = oil. If you have a problem with too much fat in your diet, use less oil.

Having said that, fat is not your enemy. Too much fat is your enemy. If you are within your daily allotment of fat and can afford to use it, use it! The key is a balanced diet, not a fat-free one.

Agreed, Fat doesn't make you fat, sugar makes you fat. High Glycemic foods make you fat, your lack of activity makes you fat. poor choices make you fat ... your 2tbl of peanut oil to cook with isn't making you fat.
  • Elphie87
    Elphie87 Posts: 40
    Fat goes to fat stores, only miniscule amounts are needed and you get them anyway in a balanced diet. No need to add it on purpose. You want olive oil ? eat olives. Butter ? drink milk. Coconut ? aren't you full already from the olives and the milk:)

And thanks for making me laugh :-)
  • hmgarcia83
    hmgarcia83 Posts: 45 Member
    i use a lot of cooking spray certain times i want to saute or similar i use evoo or is asian cooking a little of sesame seed oil but i use both sparingly and just enough to coat your body does need fat to run but you want to make it a healthy fat like the evoo and what not
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    I use all organic oils: canola, coconut, and extra virgin olive oil.

I use a glass and BPA-free oil spray bottle called a 'tabletop mister' by Prepara. It even comes in different colors, so I can figure out at a glance which bottle has olive oil vs canola oil.
  • When I stir-fry, I start with a teaspoon (40 calories), and a little water (and then add water as needed), when eating veggies it's important to have a fat most vitamins are fat soluble. I like grapeseed oil (no added flavor), olive oil for italian cooking. They are both higher in the good fats. Saturated fats, are the ones you want to avoid.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    The best cooking oils I have found and read about consist of unprocessed organic oils. Local health food stores usually offer some guideless on which products are best. Oils that are partially hydrogenated create trans fat. Most cooking oils including mass produced olive oils, canola, sunflower and soybean oils are processed for use at high temperature cooking and shelf life. I use oil for most cooking dishes but only purchase organic unprocessed oils including organic clarified butter-ghee.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    I typically use peanut oil, coconut oil, or hemp oil, depending on what's cooking.

I haven't bought olive oil in a very long time. I might try it again.
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    Fat goes to fat stores, only miniscule amounts are needed and you get them anyway in a balanced diet. No need to add it on purpose. You want olive oil ? eat olives. Butter ? drink milk. Coconut ? aren't you full already from the olives and the milk:)

Because you can roast them courgettes by sprinkling olives on them.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,689 Member
    Eating more calories than you burn, from any source (oil, sugar, protein), will make you fat. Which oils are "healthiest" depends entirely on context. On salads, I like hemp seed oil, because it has a good balance of essential fatty acids, but you do not want to heat hemp seed oil (or flax oil), as doing so negates these advantages. For cooking I use extra virgin olive oil or virgin coconut oil. Coconut oil is particularly good for cooking at relatively high temperatures, as it has a high burn point.
  • juicygurl1
    juicygurl1 Posts: 195 Member
    Organic coconut oil has a wonderful flavor but not recommended for all cooking dishes. I love using it on all types of fish for a tropical exotic experience to my dieting.
  • MonkRocker
    MonkRocker Posts: 198
    I use Ghee because it's DELICIOUS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

You're welcome. :)
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Rice bran oil, for cooking at high temperatures. Otherwise I use butter, olive oil infused with lemon, or rendered fat from whatever I have been cooking. Just .... not very much
  • GnochhiGnomes
    GnochhiGnomes Posts: 348 Member
    I use Ghee because it's DELICIOUS.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghee

You're welcome. :)

It is delicious. Though isn't it like ridiculously calorie dense?
  • Zarebeth
    Zarebeth Posts: 136 Member
    I think fat is fat, all around 100 calories a tablespoon, right?

Anyway, another BIG vote for coconut oil. It has a high smoke point and much thinner feel when it melts so I can use a lot less. And it gives everything such a marvelous crispy crust! I love my fish and chicken breasts fried in a tiny bit of it with just a little seasoning. Yum, think I will have that tonight.