Diet with no exercise

Options
2»

Replies

• Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is accomplished by healthy eating.
    Fitness is accomplished by activity.
    At the very least try to walk or do something everyday; don't have to go to a gym, but look for opportunities to be active: take the stairs, look for parking spaces that require you to walk, do a few push ups everyday, etc.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    If you are going to do it without exercise, lessen the effects of the lean body mass you WILL lose by not taking such a serious deficit.

The bigger the deficit, the more weight lifting you need in order not to lose the LBM, ie muscle.

And you really don't want to lose muscle if you don't need to.

So set your activity level correctly for what your daily activity will be - probably Light Active as almost everyone with a FitBit or BodyMedia discovers.
    Select 1lb weekly weight loss.

And just increase daily activity. Part farther out in parking lots, walk around work during breaks and lunch, take the long way. get up more during work and when sitting at home, ect.

Those are all great fat burning activities.
  • Lauramlimg
    Options
    Go for a walk! If nothing else it will put you in a better mood just to get outside and see something besides your 4 walls. Just showing up to exercise can be hard, but you will be amazed at what you can do once you start. Take 5, 10, 15 minutes whatever you can start with and just do it
  • MustangGirl05
    Options
    It can happen, it did for me. I swore I was not going to exercise for the first year & I didn't. I lost 82 lbs. just on a low carb diet (Type 2 Diabetic). After a year my bones & muscles started to ache so my Dr said I HAD to exercise so I reluctantly started on my final journey. I joined a Gym, signed up with a Trainer - only because I knew they would hold me accountable & make me ACTUALLY go if I had an appointment & it has changed my life tremendously. I can't imagine my life without exercise now, my Trainer gave me tools to continue on my journey in life on my own & it's great!! Since starting my exercise regimen 6 mos ago I have lost 19 lbs bringing me to a total of 101 lbs lost now. I realized that I had to exercise to get those last few lbs off, I am only 5'3". Now I am in maintain mode for weight & building muscle where I need it, I couldn't imagine my life without exercise - try it you might find that you like it after all!! Best of luck with your journey 8)
  • wftiger
    wftiger Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    You sure can lose with just a deficit. I lost the first 70 lbs of mine without one second of pre-planned exercise (that doesn't include walking to the bathroom and stuff which technically is exercise I suppose). I only added the exercise so I didn't feel winded walking up stairs anymore and trying to get rid of the jiggle.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I'm a big proponent of making small, gradual changes. Jumping in and trying to change a lot of things at once is a recipe for failure when we become overwhelmed. That said, while you certainly can lose weight by diet alone, it's probably not a bad idea to start incorporating walking into your routine as you plan to do but do it sooner rather than later. Just a half hour of walking each day is enough, even if you split it into 10-15 minute segments. Once you feel comfortable with walking, you may find that you're ready for either longer walks or something more strenuous. I know it worked that way for me. I was walking on my breaks at work in January of last year and started running that April for the first time in my life. 3 half marathons and numerous shorter races later I'm still running.
  • laurn19
    laurn19 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Even the most die-hard fitness people will say that losing weight is 80% diet, 20% exercise, so yes, you can lose without exercise.

The most important thing is to find what works for you. If that's starting out slow and just focusing on diet right now, then go for it. I actually think small changes are a better way to go - I personally think if you try to do a complete 180, it's can be way too much and overwhelming.

Start with one change this week. Add another next week. Another the week after. Then one week, add in the exercise component.

If just focusing on your diet for now works for you, then go for it. This has to work for YOU. If you feel good doing it, then it will work. As long as you're eating at a calorie deficit, you'll lose.

Who knows? If you feel great in a month, you might decide to start adding in exercise earlier. Nothing to say you can't change things as you go along.
  • pammiekay68
    pammiekay68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You can treat yourself to a big mac every now and then. Get it with no cheese, no sauce and extra lettuce and pickles. That will cut some calories. You can eat many of the things you love as long as you make better judgements with them. Such as a side salad instead of fries, a water instead of a softdrink, a pizza without meat and extra cheese.......and so on. Dont deprive yourself or you will fail. Every now and then reward yourself with a comfort food but log it down. When you see how many calories you are eating you will change your eating habits. Good luck!!!