Body Fat Percentage

Options
I recently found out my BFP, and it's 19.6%.
What's everyone else's? Also, how did you lower yours? I really want mine to be at the most 13, so I was just looking for some help/ideas. Thanks in advance! :)

Replies

• FireBrand80
    FireBrand80 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I don't think you know what 13% looks like
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I'm between 12-13% right now. 13% is waaaay too low for a woman in terms of optimal health.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    thats already really low for a woman hon.
    13% is lower than a lot of female athletes.
    you are unlikely to menstruate (ie be infertile) at that body fat percentage, as women need a higher % than men to maintain a healthy hormonal profile.
    how come you want it so low? if thats you in your pic you look AMAZING!
  • invictus8
    invictus8 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Yeah, 13% is much, much too low for a woman. That's like 3% for a man, which is in the danger zone of affecting one's health.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I'm between 12-13% right now. 13% is waaaay too low for a woman in terms of optimal health.

This & This.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) helps alot.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    19% is fantastic for a woman. Congrats! 13% is very low for a woman, it's about the cut off point for unhealthy. For a man, it's fine, but for a woman, not so much.

Last check (back in March) using a bod pod I was about 12%, but I fluctuate between 14.5% and 11.5% depending on how diligent I am being that month. I'd love to get down to 9%, but as a guy approaching 40 (rapidly) with a full time, sit down job, that's extremely difficult unless your only hobby is the gym. At least that's been my observations.
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options
    Um...that's a bit low. 19% is actually pretty good. Some websites tell me I'm at 27% while others say 41% so I have no idea where I am right now. :laugh:
  • spammyanna
    spammyanna Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    You are already at a great BFP for ladies. 13% is way way too low.

I am at 24.2%, or was a month ago. I haven't checked recently. I am doing New Rules of Lifting for Women to lower mine.
  • alexis831
    alexis831 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I am between 16 and 17 right now. I keep going back and fourth the last week or so. Darn period.... always freaks out my body fat tester, heheh. I think I am about a 16.5 really. I am going for maybe a 14-15. Really its how I look. I lose it last from my legs & butt.... so I am going until I get my legs where I want them physically strong in regards to capabilities and size. I hope that I achieve that at between 14%-15% or so. 13 is low... 11-13 is considered essential for women and to not go below that. We will see where I land!
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options

This & This.

HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) helps alot.

I agree, I've used HIIT as a key part of my workouts and I've shaved off 8% of my body fat in the last 6 months or so. 20% is my goal (well...we'll see when I get there, depends on how I look if I want to work toward 18%ish), but anyway, I think perhaps you might be better off going to lower than 15% or so, 13% can be dangerously low for a woman.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Um...that's a bit low. 19% is actually pretty good. Some websites tell me I'm at 27% while others say 41% so I have no idea where I am right now. :laugh:

don't use a website, the numbers won't be anywhere near accurate. Look for a bod pod in your area, or a place with a displacement tank (many universities or wellness centers have one or the other).

as a fall back you can use a body fat analysis scale, but these are far less accurate (although still much better than a website).
  • katrinkap
    katrinkap Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    i bought a BF% off of Amazon for like $12.00... it says i am 35% which i believe is accurate because i have a santa belly yet... :)
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    body-fat-percentage-pictures-female.jpg
    female-body-fat-percentage-pictures.jpg

anyway, i'm around 8-9.5%, came down from around 20%.
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6mgxiFt7a1r5jht7o2_500.jpg

This is a good reference for the gals on Body Fat Percentage.

I got my trainer at the gym to measure my body fat % with calipers and I'm just about at 26% which is a big improvement from last year's 37%. Now just to get down to 16-18% :laugh:
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    It varies according to Bodpod. 18? 19 probably now...
  • Fitsicle
    Fitsicle Posts: 14
    Options
    I used a scale, not a website.
    And wow thanks! I'm slow..
    I was sort of basing my goal from a male, honestly. Not a female.

Whoops..
  • AveryWays
    AveryWays Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m6mgxiFt7a1r5jht7o1_500.jpg

This is a good reference for the guys.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    ohhhhh... with those pics maybe 17/18/19?

I'll just look in a mirror. :)
  • manderson27
    manderson27 Posts: 3,510 Member
    Options
    No idea what it was when I started this journey because I didn't measure it at the time. Recently my body fat percentage has dropped from 38.5 to 37.1 in around 8 weeks.

I stick to my calories and lift heavy 3 times a week with a small amount of cardio after the lifting and throw in the odd cardio class every couple of weeks

I would like to get down to around 25% then see how I feel.
  • Shange_Gully
    Options
    I used a scale, not a website.
    And wow thanks! I'm slow..
    I was sort of basing my goal from a male, honestly. Not a female.

Whoops..

Unfortunately scales are pretty inaccurate in general, for best results measuring body fat %callipers are the way forward. Unless you're really rich then you can go for the gold stand underwater tests.