diet pills?

Options

Replies

• MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    The only diet pills I know of that work better than large amounts of coffee are amphetamines. As someone who is ADD, I can show up at the doctor and get those anytime I want.

Why don't I?

Tolerance. You build up a tolerance to amphetamines and you either need more and more or they stop working entirely, so why bother? Plus, my poor heart probably has enough to handle with the coffee I drink every day. And once my dosage gets to a certain point on Adderall, it makes me all kinds of evil tempered-crazy anyway.

I've lost and gained going on and off those plenty of times. And I'm sick of it. The weight loss never lasts. Ever. I also used to take ephedrine in high doses when they sold it in the health food stores. Same effect as Adderall, just weaker. Not worth it, tolerance is your body's way of saying 'nope, girl, you can't do this the easy way, sorry!'
  • Rmazula
    Rmazula Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Agree with if you do it the fast way the likelihood of gaining the weight back is greater. That and I just don't trust any of those pills. If you have any sensitivity to caffeine or have any neurological or heart conditions do not take them. It is a supplement thus they are not regulated by the FDA but the "claims" that they work etc. are pushed by their marketers.

Don't make me worry about you!
  • alleykat69
    alleykat69 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    Most diet pills are expensive and flashy, my advice would be stick to green tea or coffee or even buy caffeine pills at walmart for like 8 bucks and you should see a little more results. Hope this helps!

Jesse Short
    ISSA Certified Personal Trainer

Caffeine puts me to sleep. I eat healthy, use elliptical, wii fit, and zumba. Seeing little results. So, what am I do do next? Looking fo
  • lorielovehailey
    lorielovehailey Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    My weight has fluctuated so much in my life, I am starting to have health issues. (I've been up and down 100 pounds twice.)

My doctor discovered I was insulin-resistant, so we added Metformin to my regimen. I learned I am pre-diabetic, and without doing something about my weight and sugar intake, I will be diabetic within five years.

I decided to use whatever means at my disposal to spare me from getting diabetes. I am not doing this on my own, but through my doctor, which I recommend. OTC diet pills don't work, and who really knows what they do to your body.

My doctor has me on a low dose of an appetite suppressant called phentermine. It helps reduce appetite, which for me was crucial when I first started eating better. It does not give me added energy. It simply helps me not think about eating all of the time.

I also use a vitamin specifically for thyroid health, because I have issues with low thyroid.

The supplement chromium nictonate helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels, so that can be useful.

None of this works, however, without good old-fashioned healthy eating and exercise.

If you're just wanting to lose 10 or 15 pounds, medication is probably not the answer.
  • Berger2011
    Options
    OKAY OKAY I got the perfect magic pill.....
    It's called sweat and intensity. Shh keep it a secret.

Haha, but so right on!!!! I did diet pills many times and they work but for a short period of time. I am all for diet and working out now because this is a lifestyle change not a quick fix. I won't judge, but think about it, it didn't take a day, week, month, etc. to put all the weight on so don't expect it to come off that easy either.
  • alleykat69
    Options
    I take ThermoFIT from It Works Global. They are made from plant extracts, it is based of off thermogenic weight loss. The idea that you burn calories eating spicy food, that is the idea behind these. They are not a diet pill, they are just a boost.

Thanks. That is what I'm looking for. A boost, not a quick fix.
  • debussyschild
    debussyschild Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Can I ask why you would want to do this? Do you really believe they do anything? And just to be clear thats a genuine question, I'm not trying to be a smart *kitten*.... It's just that being a nurse who also has a pharmacy background I know that none of these OTC (over the counter) claims are verified by ANY third party... Their clinical trials are paid for by them and carried out by the company also so you KNOW how they are going to report.....

I don't know, I just feel like its all broscience....

This is a good point. However, many serious fitness competitors (not just professionals who have endorsement deals with supplement developers) have seen great results depending on the products they use. That being said, thermogenic supplements are really only useful to those who follow a strict nutrition and exercise plan. There is a good deal of legitimate science behind these products, particularly in the sports nutrition and medicine field. Trying them out is not a bad idea, but as with using any dietary supplement, you use it at your own risk.
  • MuscleJunkieK8
    Options
    Here is the thing with "diet" pills. You can go to GNC and pay out the butt for every magic pill that says it will cut out your fat, boost your metabolism, and make you thin. But you have to understand, in order for these pills to even do any little bit of work in your body, you need to give 110% in your workouts, and 150% in your diet.

Don't just wake up, take the pill, and then go about your day as normal. Trust me. Been there done that.

Actually for 5 years I was severely anorexic, I found Hydroxycut. Big mistake. I never ate anything, so the drugs had nothing to hold onto, so I spent most of my days vommiting, and having such bad diareah.

It was stupid of me. After that I went through recovery, and am now a pretty big workout buff. I eat clean, organic, and healthy. I workout like there is no tomorrow. No, I don't take those pills because they did not do me any good with my regimen. I actually lost more weight and gained more muscle when I was off those "diet pills".

Just my opinion, if you see results, that is great for you. Keep in mind what they bottle says in terms of "healthy diet" and "exercise".
  • alleykat69
    Options
    Agree with if you do it the fast way the likelihood of gaining the weight back is greater. That and I just don't trust any of those pills. If you have any sensitivity to caffeine or have any neurological or heart conditions do not take them. It is a supplement thus they are not regulated by the FDA but the "claims" that they work etc. are pushed by their marketers.

Don't make me worry about you!

Thanks. No worrying needed. :smile:
  • alleykat69
    Options
    I think a fat burner supplement is the better way to go. Appetite suppressants are okay, but not necessary if you're working out and drinking enough water. Try Redline Ultra Hardcore. GNC sells it and so does bodybuilding.com. It also comes in liquid form so you can drink it instead of taking a pill if you prefer that. Has a lot of caffeine, so use with caution if you are sensitive to stimulants.

Have you or someone you know ever taken it?
  • Voca_Star
    Voca_Star Posts: 140
    Options
    Diet pills are a temporary solution. More often than not, when you get off the diet pills, you're gonna see some if not all of the weight pile back on. You want to make a lifestyle change and I don't believe anyone wants to chug diet pills for the rest of their life, do you? ;)

Address whatever is making the results very slow, rather it be not enough exercise, too much food, or probably, too little food. Or just be patient. I've been working at this for a year and due to a lot of different things I've lost 15 pounds. In a YEAR. So, hold on and don't start any silly diet pills~
  • alleykat69
    Options
    Here is the thing with "diet" pills. You can go to GNC and pay out the butt for every magic pill that says it will cut out your fat, boost your metabolism, and make you thin. But you have to understand, in order for these pills to even do any little bit of work in your body, you need to give 110% in your workouts, and 150% in your diet.

Don't just wake up, take the pill, and then go about your day as normal. Trust me. Been there done that.

Actually for 5 years I was severely anorexic, I found Hydroxycut. Big mistake. I never ate anything, so the drugs had nothing to hold onto, so I spent most of my days vommiting, and having such bad diareah.

It was stupid of me. After that I went through recovery, and am now a pretty big workout buff. I eat clean, organic, and healthy. I workout like there is no tomorrow. No, I don't take those pills because they did not do me any good with my regimen. I actually lost more weight and gained more muscle when I was off those "diet pills".

Just my opinion, if you see results, that is great for you. Keep in mind what they bottle says in terms of "healthy diet" and "exercise".

Thank you
  • BonBon89x
    Options
    First of all, sorry on behalf of all of the people that said something rude or put in their 2 cents that you didn't ask for. I don't think that was necessary.

To answer your question: I've been taking slimquick razor and it works really well. I take 1 in the morning and 1 at night with meals. Gives me energy and makes me a lot less hungry than I usually am.

Also, I have been trying to call around to dr. offices for years hoping they prescribed phentermine, because that basically is a quick fix pill. It's bad for your heart and not healthy, obviously, but if I could've gotten my hands on it, I definitely would have taken it. Gives you tons of engergy, makes you not hungry at all, and when I took it for a few days I lost almost 10 pounds. It's amazing. (Can't wait to see what people have to say about that.. LOL) .. Basically a speed pill so not the best idea, but a lot of doctors do still prescribe it, just hard to find one!

Hope you find what you're looking for!! :flowerforyou:
  • naples89
    naples89 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Most diet pills on the market work on appetite suppression, which if you had any control at all will not be an issue for you. Most of the pills are harmless but my point is that they are a waste of time and money for anyone who can control what goes in their mouth.
  • alleykat69
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has posted and those that have not yet posted. I am eating healthy and exercising. Not looking for a quick fix, just a boost. I know that diet and exercise works. Sometimes you just need a little boost.
  • alleykat69
    Options
    First of all, sorry on behalf of all of the people that said something rude or put in their 2 cents that you didn't ask for. I don't think that was necessary.

To answer your question: I've been taking slimquick razor and it works really well. I take 1 in the morning and 1 at night with meals. Gives me energy and makes me a lot less hungry than I usually am.

Also, I have been trying to call around to dr. offices for years hoping they prescribed phentermine, because that basically is a quick fix pill. It's bad for your heart and not healthy, obviously, but if I could've gotten my hands on it, I definitely would have taken it. Gives you tons of engergy, makes you not hungry at all, and when I took it for a few days I lost almost 10 pounds. It's amazing. (Can't wait to see what people have to say about that.. LOL) .. Basically a speed pill so not the best idea, but a lot of doctors do still prescribe it, just hard to find one!

Hope you find what you're looking for!! :flowerforyou:

Thank you. I'm taking in what everyone said and going from there.
  • ActiveGuy81
    ActiveGuy81 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    If anything has quick or easy or anything that you want to see and hear, then don't waste your time. You have to do the work for it to work.
  • elijhasmomma
    elijhasmomma Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about adding a diet pill to my routin. I'm eating healthier and exercising. Seeing little results. Which ones have you used? Did they work or not?

Diet pills fall under two basic categories, though many contain some element of both:

1. Stimulants
    2. Appetite suppressants or "filler"

Stimulants themselves are also appetite suppressants, of course.

The problem with using both is pretty simple. Once you get off them, the suppressant effect and the stimulant effect go away and unless you've worked really hard to get your diet under control, the weight will simply come back with a vengeance. Well, that and the side effects of a lot of the stimulants used - a number of products have been pulled from the market over side effects.

wrong--there are two diet aids-suppressants and fat blockers..

i know this because i am on a prescription fat blocker. it i the prescription form of alli. my dr and i both discussed all the aids out there and decided that phentermine or the stimulant/suppressants all too often can lead to A.) addiction and B.) cardiac arrest with no real learning in the whole process. I was prescribed Xenical 120 mg and the active ingridient is Orlistat. While yes, there may be some horrid side effects--IF you do NOT follow a proper diet. I follow my diet guidelines and have been on it for over 3 weeks now with not a one horror story to tell. I keep my fats low and cut out fried foods and sodas and the likes. Alli is the otc form which blocked 25% of the fat from each meal whereas the prescription Xenical blocks 30% of fat from each meal you eat. You take one three times a day with each meal that contains fat. If it doesn't have a high fat count or any fat in it, you just dont take it. I trust my dr and know he would only do what is best for me as he also required I have blood work and x-rays and a CT Scan done to check my levels, kidneys, gall bladdders and so forth to make sure it would be safe for me to take them and there was no underlying effect to why I couldn't drop my pregnancy weight.

The good thing about this pill is that it holds you accountable for what you eat! It trains you to look at labels, understand your foods, know your limits. I'm only taking them for two months tops and I have no worries whatsoever that I will "fall back" into my old ways. It's giving me the extra boost I need to keep pushing forward and educate myself on better eating habits. P.S. make sure to watch your sodium for water retention! :happy:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I am thinking about adding a diet pill to my routin. I'm eating healthier and exercising. Seeing little results. Which ones have you used? Did they work or not?

Diet pills fall under two basic categories, though many contain some element of both:

1. Stimulants
    2. Appetite suppressants or "filler"

Stimulants themselves are also appetite suppressants, of course.

The problem with using both is pretty simple. Once you get off them, the suppressant effect and the stimulant effect go away and unless you've worked really hard to get your diet under control, the weight will simply come back with a vengeance. Well, that and the side effects of a lot of the stimulants used - a number of products have been pulled from the market over side effects.

wrong--there are two diet aids-suppressants and fat blockers..

i know this because i am on a prescription fat blocker. it i the prescription form of alli. my dr and i both discussed all the aids out there and decided that phentermine or the stimulant/suppressants all too often can lead to A.) addiction and B.) cardiac arrest with no real learning in the whole process. I was prescribed Xenical 120 mg and the active ingridient is Orlistat. While yes, there may be some horrid side effects--IF you do NOT follow a proper diet. I follow my diet guidelines and have been on it for over 3 weeks now with not a one horror story to tell. I keep my fats low and cut out fried foods and sodas and the likes. Alli is the otc form which blocked 25% of the fat from each meal whereas the prescription Xenical blocks 30% of fat from each meal you eat. You take one three times a day with each meal that contains fat. If it doesn't have a high fat count or any fat in it, you just dont take it. I trust my dr and know he would only do what is best for me as he also required I have blood work and x-rays and a CT Scan done to check my levels, kidneys, gall bladdders and so forth to make sure it would be safe for me to take them and there was no underlying effect to why I couldn't drop my pregnancy weight.

The good thing about this pill is that it holds you accountable for what you eat! It trains you to look at labels, understand your foods, know your limits. I'm only taking them for two months tops and I have no worries whatsoever that I will "fall back" into my old ways. It's giving me the extra boost I need to keep pushing forward and educate myself on better eating habits. P.S. make sure to watch your sodium for water retention! :happy:

you're right, clearly there is no such thing as thermogenics
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone that has posted and those that have not yet posted. I am eating healthy and exercising. Not looking for a quick fix, just a boost. I know that diet and exercise works. Sometimes you just need a little boost.

Been there. I have tried Animal Cuts, Blade, and Lipo6. None of them were bad really. I found that if I didn't eat enough the energy was shaky and overwhelming and I became nauseated fast. Once I sorted that out, I really only saw them as helpful for giving me energy to work out when I wasn't eating as much.

I'm currently taking the remains of the Blade when I work out before breakfast for the energy boost. Otherwise, I didn't see any drastic improvement on them then just exercise and dietary changes alone.

If you want to try, go for it. Honestly though, you don't need it. Even more important...the more you have to lose, the less effective they are. They may help with that extra edge for the last 10-15 lbs though.

ETA: I hope this helps. It's mostly anecdotal, which it seemed like you were asking for, but read the other evidence links that people have posted too please!