"southern hospitality" myth or no?

Options
oregonzoo
oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
Having lived all over the country, people in or from the south are no nicer and more
Hospitable.
In fact, I prefer to know right away when somebody doesnt like me.
Rather than somebody saying "well bless her heart" as you walk away.
Nice people are nice people wherever you go.

Replies

• LessStephMoreLove
    Options
    My grandma is from Tennessee as are a lot of my family and they are absolutely no nicer than anyone here.
  • toots99
    toots99 Posts: 3,794 Member
    Options
    I agree. I've been stood up for dates more in Texas than in any other states I've lived in.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I'm Southern.

& i have southern hospitality.

but,if i dont like you,i dont like you.
    i dont say bless your heart..

but i think that maybe southerners would be the first people to throw a punch?
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't true for all of the south, but I don't really fit in with southern girls. They're so put together all the time, and it's what they've been taught from their mothers. Never leave the house without makeup, make sure your hair is nice, ect. Which I never do and subsequently I feel judged. Which is probably all me and not them.
  • spicypepper
    spicypepper Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I'm not Southern by birth, but got here as fast as I can.

I can honestly say when I moved to Texas from Califormia in 1990, there was nothing but southern hospitality here. And then more people moved in from other states and things changed. There are still loads of friendly people in the rural areas, not so much in the city though.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Having lived all over the country, people in or from the south are no nicer and more
    Hospitable.
    In fact, I prefer to know right away when somebody doesnt like me.
    Rather than somebody saying "well bless her heart" as you walk away.
    Nice people are nice people wherever you go.

...most people know that "bless her/your/his heart isn't a compliment or anything well intended.

I have also lived in many areas, and everywhere, there are mean people and nice people. However, only the south has the best iced tea unless you can somehow pry the secret from someone!

I even found nice people in Watts... THAT was amusing.

**Yes, it does exist. it's just hyped up
  • Frozen300
    Frozen300 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    it pays to be nice when everyone carries guns
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this isn't true for all of the south, but I don't really fit in with southern girls. They're so put together all the time, and it's what they've been taught from their mothers. Never leave the house without makeup, make sure your hair is nice, ect. Which I never do and subsequently I feel judged. Which is probably all me and not them.
    being a southern girl, junior league and all, i feel the stress and strain of it. probably why im trying to lose weight now ;)
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    LOL this is also true
  • octoberfalling
    Options
    I travel all over the country for work, and have lived in Texas nearly my entire life, and as far as I can tell, the south is absolutely no friendlier than anywhere else. I can see where people who aren't southern might think they are, but I think most southerners probably know well enough that most of the friendliness isn't really genuine friendliness. It's a learned behaviour that's simply part of social interaction in the south, and doesn't really convey anyone's true feelings one way or another. Personally, I prefer people that are more direct. Southerners are a strange breed, bless their hearts. ;)
  • octoberfalling
    Options

Oh yeah, and then there's this. LOL
  • Anastasia0511
    Anastasia0511 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I travel for many many months out of the year and I have to say that I LOVE the people from the south and have always enjoyed them. i do think there is still that Southern Hospitality and think most southerners are very nice and kind. Georgia and Tennessee have really nice people there. I live around stuck up *kitten* in a city where a lot of people only care about the way the look and what car they're driving in. Its nice to go to cities where people are genuinely nice to everyone that crosses their path. I have never lived in the south so maybe I only see a little bit when I get off of a tour bus or talk with the hotel or venue staff. But I've never had a bad experience and have always left feeling like I was treated nice when I am in those states and several others. Do not like your sweet tea though OMG lol. I don't eat sugar and haven't for about 18 years and tried a sip and WOW haha. I think I had high blood pressure for a few minutes :)
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Why do people insist on calling Texas the South, Southwest yes, Down South no.

Southern Hospitality is about making you feel welcome and yes I do think Southerners welcome strangers. I have seen my family in South Carolina do it, while my family in NY always looks at outsiders with a degree of skepticism. But I'm right there with them. I'm not going to act like I'm your best friend if I don't know you. Not to say that some Southerners aren't genuine, I like the what you see is what you get approach.
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options

I love this! Very true!

I've lived mostly in the midwest, but have spent some time in the south, both living in the south and visiting relatives MANY summers. The culture is definitely different, and there are pros and cons to each culture. Nice people are everywhere, jerks are everywhere. But I was impressed with the greater degree of neighborliness in the south, and chivalry is not dead down there. I enjoyed it. I was respected as a business person, yet treated like a lady at the same time and by the same people. I do miss that.
  • whitetiger011680
    whitetiger011680 Posts: 218 Member
    Options

This made me giggle a little bit. I've lived in AL almost my entire life and there are a few girls who won't leave the house without make up. I'm not one of them but there are a LOT who don't always get well put together before going out and the evidence is at wal-mart. :laugh:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It totally depends where you're at. In el paso, people will walk over you if you're bleeding on a sidewalk. In the Carolinas, its honey this and darlin' that. Here is Austin, its perfect. People are friendly and helpful, but not overly. And gosh does this new jersey born, California bred girl love it.
  • ClareRae
    ClareRae Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'm from Texas, and I once went on a trip and was picked on for saying "yes maam/no maam"and always saying please and thank you at a resturant even for the simplest things. Growing up it was a polite gesture, and you got in serious trouble for being rude. "These people are serving your food. Be respectful." Now if I don't say it, I feel wierd.
  • Louisianababy93
    Louisianababy93 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options

they make purses specifically for carrying guns:)

there prettyy!!!
  • iammegs
    iammegs Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Southern hospitality does still exist - it's the idea that you can share food with someone, have a nice conversation at a grocery store, and so on. The key is to make sure politics and religion never come up!

I lived in Texas and Louisiana, but then attended high school in Germany. I experienced greater culture shock moving to Boston then I did moving to Germany because I _expected_ differences between countries, but nothing like what I saw up North. In fact, I've noticed two main differences: Northerners are so hesitant to converse with strangers, yet when it gets to conversation, never seem to pause. If you want to add your two cents to a conversation - at least in New England - you have to interrupt someone! I had to get out of the habit when I moved back to Texas. But when I return to Boston to visit friends, I still get a kick out of the astonished looks on cashiers' faces when I start a conversation or laugh.

Southern hospitality doesn't necessarily mean that you're better around friends and family than people in the North. It has to do with being more diplomatic/pleasant with people you don't know very well. While it may seem too superficial for people who are used to bluntness, it's about making errands, tasks and brief acquaintances more pleasant.
  • jasondcooper
    Options
    I grew up in Indiana and have lived in Alabama for the last 10 years. I can say that people here are no nicer than people I've met anywhere else. In fact, if you are not from this part of the world and you move here later, it is remarkably hard to meet new people and make friends.

The first question people ask you here is not "What do you do for a living?" It's "Where do you go to church?" Better hope that you go to church or go the "right" church. If you get that question wrong, a lot of people here won't have anything more to do with you.

This is not to diss the south overall. As a lover of the outdoors I enjoy the long summer and the warm weather. I also think there is more culture in a lot of southern towns than people might imagine, but let's keep it real: people are people, wherever you go.