Are you frustrated with yourself and your choices? I am.

2»

Replies

• BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Edit -- any chance you can leave your daughter HOME during shopping??? LOL....

You know, last week I went shopping twice without her, and came home with NO junk. I think that may have to be the plan from now on.
  • BrendaLee
    Hey girls, we all do it and I am guilty of it as well. Last night, I ate a cupcake and some halloween candy and I have a big sweet tooth. Posting a note on the fridge is a great idea. But I have learned that it is ok to allow ourselves a treat every once in a while. I just have to be careful because with me, one treat turns into two, then three :laugh:
    Great job everyone :heart:

I am bad Jen.............I allowed for a piece of Halloween candy.........that was 2 wks ago and now I have had a cupcake, 3 brownies, 20 pcs of candy, and chocolate milk.

So I have subbed a pc of fruit now, to get back on track. Slippery slope for sure:flowerforyou:

I know- if I make small allowances they become habit again in no time. Slipppperrrryyyyy!
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    I have teenagers in the house too. I have quit buying pop and chips. If they want that stuff, they go to the store and use their own money. Even tho, they're young and thin doesn't mean they should be eating that stuff either.

Remember, if your goals are to be heathier and make life style changes then you need to buy smaller tubs of ice cream. Don't buy a whole cheesecake, buy one piece. I am not saying you can't have these things because that would be unrealistic.

Also, looks as tho you have lost a bit of weight already. Be kind to yourself. I like the post-it on the fridge. Maybe have a piece of inspiration clothing that you want to wear hanging in your room in full view. It's a good visual also.

Two things. ONE, I used to work at a liquor store, and a man who was trying to limit his cigarettes used to have one or two per day, and when I smoked he would come in and buy ONE from my personal stash for $2. He said to me "I'm trying to make it so that the ONE I buy from you 3x a week is so expensive, it's just not worth having more for that price."
    IT seemed to help him. . So buying ONE piece of cheesecakes makes sense.

TWO, I hung a DEXAscan comparison picture and it showed the layers of FAT on a big person, and the corresponding smaller person next to it. Amazingly, it has inspired me!!

Keep up all the good work, peeps!!!
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Hey girls, we all do it and I am guilty of it as well. Last night, I ate a cupcake and some halloween candy and I have a big sweet tooth. Posting a note on the fridge is a great idea. But I have learned that it is ok to allow ourselves a treat every once in a while. I just have to be careful because with me, one treat turns into two, then three :laugh:

I am bad Jen.............I allowed for a piece of Halloween candy.........that was 2 wks ago and now I have had a cupcake, 3 brownies, 20 pcs of candy, and chocolate milk.

So I have subbed a pc of fruit now, to get back on track. Slippery slope for sure:flowerforyou:

I know- if I make small allowances they become habit again in no time. Slipppperrrryyyyy!

you have no Idea what you have done for me right now, this minute. I have a bowl of mini candy bars I got from teh freeze to eat ALL of them. Just had a fight with DH over finances.....he is never the cure only makes it worse..:cry: ......so I was going to go into a sugar coma.

I hate some broiled chicken instead and a glass of milk. I went over my cals for the day, but with nutrituous food

Thank you Brenda:smooched:
  • BrendaLee

you have no Idea what you have done for me right now, this minute. I have a bowl of mini candy bars I got from teh freeze to eat ALL of them. Just had a fight with DH over finances.....he is never the cure only makes it worse..:cry: ......so I was going to go into a sugar coma.

I hate some broiled chicken instead and a glass of milk. I went over my cals for the day, but with nutrituous food

Thank you Brenda:smooched:

Aww...that is awesome (not that you went over your calories, but that you made a good choice). Good Choices = No Regrets, right?
  • Tamishumate
    Tamishumate Posts: 1,171 Member
    been there done that....
    I think such a huge part of all of this is mental....
    I'm reading a new book now called the Beck Solution...it can be applied to any diet and it's really about re-training your thoughts around eating and feeling proud and confident that you made good food choices rather than feeling sad/deprived that you can't eat certain non-healthy things etc

Kim

You Are SO RIGHT, its so MENTAL. I tell people that all the time when they ask me what I have done, you have to be mentally ready for this. To know that if you have alot of weight to lose, its going to take a while, you have to be ok with that . If you are, it will make all the difference in the world.

Your doing great Brenda!
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    It is the opposite for me. If don't have the freedom to choose I will rebel. When I told myself I could have one twix or animal cookies everyday; I ended up not eating the twix or animal cookies for months. But as soon as something become taboo for me (if I say I won't eat chips at all), then suddenly that is all I want. But at least I recognize that in myself and can do something about it.

On another note:

I have been lazy plodding through my WATP. Now, I hear Jeannie in my head "Pick those knees up girl!" I am down a pound. (Not that she has ever spoken to me but I read one of her posts saying that so that is what pops in my mind. Don't want you to think I'm crazy:wink: ) Thanks Jeannie.

It's amazing how we can inspire one another to do better. Who would have thunk it.
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,515 Member
    What a great post, guys.

I am going through the same thing since I think that after hitting the middle part of weight loss it's harder to find motivation. But it's possible to find motivation and to keep going.

Everyone has said great things. It's really important to evaluate what is trigerring a "sugar " feast or craving. Is it emotional eating, discouragement, or what?

I think that it's also good to switch things up a bit, and try something different when it comes to methods for food and exercise.

For the past 2 months I had been allowing myself icecream (1/2 cup) edy's with 120 calories once a week. I really looked forward to that day and I measured my ice cream- mind you I'm one of those people that is addicted to ice cream.
    The past couple of weeks, however, I've been stressed out with having to search for a job while being unemployed and also working on a masters degree. Several times I opened the fridge and ate the entire ice cream container, and I admit, I was eating from a place of anger, depression, because of life's situation. So these weeks, I'm changing things up a bit and am not allowing any sweets or ice cream in my home. If my husband wants ice cream, he can buy it outside and eat it there. I feel that I am in a sensitive state right now and I do not trust myself with ice cream. So, the best thing is to keep it away. I have found these great rice cakes that Quaker makes, and they have different flavors. They have like 60 calories, and definitely curb the sweet tooth.

The other thing is that when the body craves sweets, it's because maybe we do need a little fruit or some type of small sweet.

Here's to all of us, to continue going on this journey..
  • MayLan
    MayLan Posts: 1,515 Member
    I also wanted to add that eating excessive sugar causes the body to feel addicted to it and many people have adverse reactions to sugar like feeling depressed after the highs, anxiety and other issues. Sugar is really dangerious in high quantities. There are some people who actually stay away from sugar altogether because sugar is tied to depression and other forms of anxiety disorders. It's like a rollercoaster ride. So I think overall, it needs to be consumed in small quantities. I guess the issue is when people cannot stop eating it, and people over indulge.
  • katznketo
    katznketo Posts: 323 Member
    i love your pic. What a beautiful family!
    yes, the sugar thing. I get very depressed when I get into the sugar. But I don't think about it until later. I am coming off a 3 day binge of 70% dark chocolate and 5 grams of sugar. I told myself that it only had 5 little grams. And then I ate the whole box. Hello!

You know what? i see a direct correlation of being stressed and not being able to slow down. So i eat the sugar and then I have to slow down cause I'm sick. I spend the day in bed with an awful headace and sleep.

Isn't that how a lot of people unwind with a drink or two in the evening? I will not whine anymore about this because that isn't getting me anywhere. And quite frankly, I am feeling better since I slept 2 hours today and ate properly. So this week, I want to pace myself and learn to say no to super moms at the kids school. for heaven's sake, i am 54 years old raising my two grandboys. They need me not that school. Balance. I need Balance. Good night all, kc
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    I am going through the same thing since I think that after hitting the middle part of weight loss it's harder to find motivation. But it's possible to find motivation and to keep going.

Amen to that... I was much better at my eating for the first 6 months.....now I don't do as well. THat is why I try the one good day plan. I can always be good for one day.
  • musclebuilder
    musclebuilder Posts: 324 Member
    What is the point of putting in 3 or 4 awesome days of being at or under your calorie goal, and then blowing it on a tub of ice cream or cheesecake or...some other ridiculously high calorie food? Ya know, if I had been really good with my food since June when I started, I would probably have an extra 10 pounds off by now...maybe more. I don't want to waste a potential 10 pounds every few months...my goal is to look and feel so much better by time summer rolls around again, and I don't want to get there knowing I could have been 20 or 30 pounds lighter just because I make ridiculous choices every few days. I don't even REALLY enjoy half of the stuff I'm wasting all of these calories on- that's the sad part, but I can't seem to stop doing it, and I keep whining about it...on here, to myself...to my daughter (who is no help, because teenagers love to eat...so she's always in my ear, "buy the cake...buy the cookies...just for tonight...it won't hurt...you've been good all week..." She's like the devil sitting on my shoulder, and the little angel on the other side doesn't stand a chance. Egads! I'm weak.

I posted a note on my fridge in big letters: Good Choices = No Regrets. That's a really good motto, and I'm going to keep repeating it to myself (and my daughter) until it's burned into our brains.

go to the recipe section of the forum and check out my recipe for sludge or "sludgecream" and this way the next time you have a sweet tooth you can make some sludge and it will go all the way to knocking out the cravings without cheating yourself. But rather giving your body what it needs. Just think of the word "transformations" theresa healthy transformation of any food you enjoy. Use some creativity and put in some effort and not only will you enjoy making the food, but eating it will be as well on every level. Nothing tastes better then food that feels like it should be bad, but is 100% nutritious. Good luck.:)
This discussion has been closed.