Big Calories Bad Surprise

Options
Share and Learn:

Not worth it/high calories

What food item have you found to have unexpectedly high calories. Recently I found out that the toast that comes on the side at Ruby Tuesdays has 160 calories and a large popcorn at the movies can have from 900 to 1200 calories.

Great taste/low calories

There are these little crunchy merangue cookies that I get at the grocery store that are only 20 calories and 0 fat.

Replies

• lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Share and Learn:

What food item have you found to have unexpectedly high calories. Recently I found out that the toast that comes on the side at Ruby Tuesdays has 160 calories and a large popcorn at the movies can have from 900 to 1200 calories.

Great taste/low calories

There are these little crunchy merangue cookies that I get at the grocery store that are only 20 calories and 0 fat.
  • AndreaMMil
    Options
    Raisins...
    Those little suckers have 130 calories in that small box!
  • ahertel0214
    ahertel0214 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Under the great taste/low calories:

Smart Ones (Weight Watchers) Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sundae - don't remember the nutritional facts but this dessert is FANTASTIC. Complete with a ribbon of fudge.:tongue:

I've enjoyed many, so they're already in our database.

Enjoy!
  • nicole0177
    Options
    Share and Learn:

Great taste/low calories

Thats upsetting to me because i work at a ruby tuesday and they just changed their toast so it would be healthier but i guess it not!!!!
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    [Smart Ones (Weight Watchers) Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Sundae - don't remember the nutritional facts but this dessert is FANTASTIC. Complete with a ribbon of fudge.:tongue:

[/quote]

I love those. In fact they have quite a few frozen desserts that are great!
  • rballard
    Options
    How about a banana 200 calories and to think I was doing a good thing there!!!
  • Cherylann402
    Options
    How about a banana 200 calories and to think I was doing a good thing there!!!

True, but if you choose small banana's at the grocery store, a small banana only has 90 calories, and lots of potassium.
  • auntkaren
    auntkaren Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    :noway: WOW , on the banana ..........I am shocked:noway: I guess I had better check out the apples:smile: Thanks for the info:flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I think apples are like 110 a piece...not sure, but I know that when I eat an apple i'm hungry 20 minutes later, that's just me though.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    :wink: yeah bananas are high.. and i just had some raisins.. I was blown away by the calories in them.
    I have a tea that has 0 calories. It's Bija tea... got it at a health food store
  • breakingthepath
    Options
    Salads and fat free frozen yogurt. The drop in calories doesn't even begin to justify their lousy taste.
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    I was surprised how many calories there are in broccoli.
    1 medium raw bunch has 170 cal!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    yeah but thats a bunch of servings. a serving of broccoli is somewhere near 30 calories.
    And it's so good for you. Probably one of the best calorie for calorie out there. Fiber, lots o vitamins,
    a few carbs, lots of calcium and potassium.
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the calories in a tiny bit of pasta just aren't worth it for me. Maybe if I eat the stuff with fiber, etc that is more filling but that tiny bit you can get for like 200 calories is not satisfying!! LOL
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    yeah but thats a bunch of servings. a serving of broccoli is somewhere near 30 calories.
    And it's so good for you. Probably one of the best calorie for calorie out there. Fiber, lots o vitamins,
    a few carbs, lots of calcium and potassium.

Oh, I don't disagree. I was just saying I was suprised.
    I normally eat 1/2 a bunch with my protein for dinner and I wouldn't trade it in for anything else. :smile:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    The biggest bummer for me was quinoa (around 600 calories a cup). It's super nutritious so I still eat it (especially since my grains are limited. . .no wheat) but, it was such a bummer that I could eat a steak for the same calories. I mix it in with other things now. . .like taboule.

Mmmmm.....steak with quinoa taboule. . .(we need a little "smiley" that drools a-la Homer Simpson)
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    avocado :sad:
    o how i miss avocado
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    avocado is high in calories, but super high in fibre and good fats. I eat 'em all the time (I'd rather have that than a chicken breast, but that's just me sometimes)
  • aslavich
    aslavich Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Wow... I love food.
    Sometimes I avoid looking at the labels b/c I just can't help eating whatever is in front of me.

One of my favorite things to munch on though are almonds. I know they are good for me and I love the crunch...
    Angela
  • FUZZBUZZ4
    Options
    OMG i have to say GRANOLA!!!!! but i mean 250 cals for 1/4 cup!!???