Women: Do You Take Protein?

Options

Replies

• bcf7683
    bcf7683 Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    I work out at 4:45 am every week day, so I wake up around 4:15. Before my workout, I have a protein shake. After my workout (about and hour and a half long) I'll follow up with another shake and a banana/apple.

Throughout the day, I try to eat as much of my protein as I can, I like to get it through food when I can.

If I find that I'm lacking at the end of the day, I'll have a casein protein shake before bed. Gets the extra protein in and holds me over til the morning.
  • SlimPossible8
    SlimPossible8 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Really woman can do the same workouts and nutrition as men to gain muscle and lose weight...we just need to adjust how much we are taking in. Woman will be not bulk up like the hulk unless they are taking major supliments to make them do so. We lack the hormones that men have to make us do that.

Protein is NEEDED if you are lifting. Its needed anyway but esspecially if you are lifting! If you do any research about muscle fitness they will all tell you that protein is needed...and not the 50g that MFP recomends. You should be eating at LEAST your lean body mass if not more. The key is to keep it spread out throughout your day and try not to take in more than 30-40g per serving because your body will not be able to digest more than that at one time. If you do not give your body the "fuel" it needs to rebuild and recharge you will not see the results you want.

I recommend a post workout shake because your muscles are screaming for food when they have been worked. if you drink it in the 30 minute window after you lift its ideal. It will get used up right away to feed those areas you just worked so hard on. Please DO NOT listen to people who tell you it doesnt matter and that you only need 50-60g for the whole day. That is horrible advice. I increased my protein and drink my shake after my workouts and ive been seeing MUCH BETTER results than what MFP was recomending.

Hope you succeed!

The body only being able to digest 30-40g of protein from one meal is a myth. Your body immediately sucking up a protein shake after working out is a myth too. It still takes something like 40 minutes to digest whey powder, and as I said amino acids from the protein you have eaten BEFORE working out are still being released into your blood. You are correct though in that people should eat a MINIMUM of 1g protein per lb of LBM. Along with that a MINIMUM of .45g fat per lb of LBM.

The only reason I do believe the 30-40g per serving myth is because thats all my body can handle at a time without getting an upset stomach or extreemly gassy lol. Everyone is different So its best to adjust as your body is able to tolerate. The key is macros for sure agreed you need protein fat and carbs to reach your goals, you just need to have the right amounts of each. Some people take a shake or half a shake before AND after their workout and that works for them. Once i get done with Insanity and back to lifting i think i will start doing the before and after. I do also notice the better i keep up with my proein the less sore i feel after my workouts.
  • wildcata77
    wildcata77 Posts: 660
    Options
    So, my next question: how do I calculate lean body mass?

I'm going to google, but for anyone else looking...
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options

Well you would want to get an estimate of your body fat percentage, take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it from total weight. So someone 200lbs at 10% would have 180lbs of lean mass (and be yoked as f...) Knowing your height and weight would probably allow someone to give a safe number for you to hit that would be a bit over. Like a 5'6" woman of average build probably 110-120 or therabouts shooting a bit high to be safe.
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I do normaly have a protein shake after a good lifting session
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    As long as you are getting enough protein throughout the day you should be fine, if not it is a good way to get the extra protein, and some of them will have some added vitamins, and recovery stuff added to them, that is pretty minimal, but helps sell the product. Something you might want to look into is BCAA's a very good brand is xtend. This is an inter-workout drink that helps keep your body from using muscle as an energy source while you are working out. I would only use this if you are on a calorie deficit though, because if not then you get enough with your food anyways.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options

Well you would want to get an estimate of your body fat percentage, take that percentage of your total weight, and subtract it from total weight. So someone 200lbs at 10% would have 180lbs of lean mass (and be yoked as f...) Knowing your height and weight would probably allow someone to give a safe number for you to hit that would be a bit over. Like a 5'6" woman of average build probably 110-120 or therabouts shooting a bit high to be safe.

I'm just over 5'6" and working on it and just got to 107lbm. Thats a "bit high."
    I use this to get a better BF- http://550cord.com/ BF calculator on the right. Uses measurements as well as height/weight.
    Then do as he said Wt-BF=LBM

Personally I do a shake after I workout, it helps with my recovery. I don't do as well getting in enough protein on my own most of the time. I am a picky eater though. I believe you should do what works for you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't think the timing matters, but I do have a 200-300 calorie shake immediately after lifting for 50-60 grams of protein. The one I make tastes like peanut butter cups, so I think of it as an award for lifting since it isn't my favorite thing to do lol.

mmmmmmm peanut butter cups...... nom nom nom
  • Determinednoob
    Options

I'm just over 5'6" and working on it and just got to 107lbm. Thats a "bit high."
    I use this to get a better BF- http://550cord.com/ BF calculator on the right. Uses measurements as well as height/weight.
    Then do as he said Wt-BF=LBM

Personally I do a shake after I workout, it helps with my recovery. I don't do as well getting in enough protein on my own most of the time. I am a picky eater though. I believe you should do what works for you!

Cool. I figured I was a bit high but nothing wrong with being over. Just don't want to be under ;) I was 50 over on a cut. Gonna end up about 100 over on bulk.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    I always try to get in some protein after a lifting session or an intense workout, and sometimes that does come in the form of protein powder. I personally like Designer Whey, and I like putting it in smoothies or adding some to my oatmeal or even making pancakes with it.

I have heard consuming protein right after a strength workout is optimal to help you muscles repair themselves. Not entirely sure if that's true, but I feel it's a good practice and I generally eat right after my workouts anyway.
  • Superbritt2drescu
    Superbritt2drescu Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Cool. I figured I was a bit high but nothing wrong with being over. Just don't want to be under ;) I was 50 over on a cut. Gonna end up about 100 over on bulk.

My first thought was dang, I wanna have a 120lbm. But that's gonna be really rough at my weight. Sorry OP for the hijacking. :)
  • islandmonkey
    islandmonkey Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Agree with others that timing doesn't matter at all. Personally I like a small protein snack after working out, but that's because I'm HUNGREH and I like protein when I'm hungry. :)

Your protein macros seem super high in your diary? I'd thought for women it was around .7-1 gram of protein per lb of lean muscle (more for athletes/weightlifters but can't remember the details). Or is that why you're looking to calc your lean muscle?

I'm around 100-104 lbs lean muscle (scale I use depends so much on hydration levels but that's the approx. range). I generally aim for minimum 70 grams/day but find it difficult to get much more than 80-85 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, nuts and protein shakes all day! (not specifically doing low-carb, just don't eat sugar or yeasted items, and don't really like pasta and rice)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I take protein.. usually only post-workout but there are some days that I do not get enough protein. To each their own really.. I try to get as much as I can from food without messing up my macro nutrient goals.
  • Determinednoob
    Options
    Agree with others that timing doesn't matter at all. Personally I like a small protein snack after working out, but that's because I'm HUNGREH and I like protein when I'm hungry. :)

Your protein macros seem super high in your diary? I'd thought for women it was around .7-1 gram of protein per lb of lean muscle (more for athletes/weightlifters but can't remember the details). Or is that why you're looking to calc your lean muscle?

I'm around 100-104 lbs lean muscle (scale I use depends so much on hydration levels but that's the approx. range). I generally aim for minimum 70 grams/day but find it difficult to get much more than 80-85 - and I eat eggs, cheese, meat, nuts and protein shakes all day! (not specifically doing low-carb, just don't eat sugar or yeasted items, and don't really like pasta and rice)

I would just go with the full 1g\lb lbm and also .45g fat\lb lbm. More than you need is fine. Your body can actually function properly with no carbs although I dunno if anyone wants to go that far and you would need some good supplimentation to make up for lack of MICROnutrients.
  • karensoxfan
    karensoxfan Posts: 902 Member
    Options

Women that are lifting heavy, following NROLFW, etc., do you do the protein supplements after lifting?

Yes, I drink a protein shake within 30-60 min. after every lifting workout, and sometimes even after cardio, to help aid muscle recovery & retention, and to meet my 30% daily protein target, which is pretty high, even on cardio days.

ETA: I follow NROLFW, and this is specifically recommended by the book's authors for lifting days. No mention of it for cardio days.
  • katheern
    katheern Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what everyone else says. I cycle my carbs (some days low, some days high) but always try to aim for 140+g of protein.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Women should take in protein...
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Hell yeah! I lift heavy and do lots of protein (fish, chicken, greek yogurt, protein powder).
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    i sually have 1 scoop a day, usually after my workout :) your body needs the protein , especially when lifting weights and strength training :) its about 130 cal a scoop the stuff I use.
  • UnleashingLovely
    Options
    Didn't read comments so sorry if this was already said.........
    I drink milk instead of protein shakes. Its got some protein plus good nutrient to do what a shake does. Plus it's pretty much lower calorie.
    I especially like to do chocolate milk. It's delicious and has some sugar which I've heard is good post workout.