New Nike Ad featuring 12 year old...opinions?

Options

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    How can someone exploit someone else, when there has been an agreement to do it? Not to mention, his parents needed to be involved, and he probably got paid a huge lump sum of money!

People are silly.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    I like it. It sheds some light on how obesity has affected kids so much and how he knows what he needs to do. I wish they had that commerical when i was 12 and 200lbs.
  • amoffatt
    amoffatt Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I love this Nike Ad!!! I am about 50 pounds overweight but want to be able to jog/run on a daily basis without stopping. I push myself and am excited when I ran a cross country track up and down a hill on dirt and bark chips in 96 degree weather for 7 minutes strait! Some laugh but it was great for me.

Not everyone has to be thin to start jogging or even walking. People complain that bigger individuals dont get up and move but when they do, fingers point and laugh. Of course not everyone is like this, but these are reasons why I would not leave my house to enjoy the outside to jog, now, I say screw it! I have every right to be out there with everyone else.

Thank you Nike for this inspirational ad!:bigsmile:
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Dare I hope that this is first in a series, that he keeps running and learning, and by the next Olympics is lettering in track?

Oh, hopefully someone in Nike marketing has thought of that.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    Dare I hope that this is first in a series, that he keeps running and learning, and by the next Olympics is lettering in track?

Apparently he and his mom have agreed to work together to get healthy and in shape. Then Nike said they'd consider a follow up ad if they're successful. I'd love to see that personally!
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    I think it's amazing! If he believes he should be fit at this age, then imagine where he will be 10 years from now. In my opinion, I know many people may view it differently, it's like they're speaking to all kids who are obese(with numbers raising now-a-days), if he could do it, then why couldn't other children?

I'm rooting for him! That is an amazing kid.
  • heretoloseit95
    Options
    I think it's a great ad and very inspiring.
    I don't think that just because you're a kid, you're allowed to eat whatever you want. Being a kid is not an excuse, that's why alot of kids are overweight nowadays. You have to learn being healthy and adjust to this lifestyle from a very young age, I'm glad this boy is realizing it so soon <3
  • mom2dms
    mom2dms Posts: 152 Member
    Options

But whenever I hear of kids running all I can think of is this: http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/story/2012/02/23/us-girl-running-murder-charge.html

As long as he's got adults helping him and letting him know what's healthy and what's not, then I guess it's okay. But if they're doing it for their own reasons, well, it could be a bad thing.

I'm a little confused .. kids can't run simply because they enjoy it?
    My girls get up and run 7-8 miles every single morning. They are my motivation.
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    As one of the quotes under the video said & I agree.

This kid has courage, but he's also smart because now he has the whole nation rooting for him.
  • runnerjenn0708
    runnerjenn0708 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Teach them young ... Love it!!!
  • sarahelen1
    Options
    He was on the Today show, dont know if anyone mentioned it!! Very inspiring young Man, it was yesterday, pull it up on MSN, no exploiting going on at all!!
  • Angie_Fritts
    Angie_Fritts Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I don't see what the fuss is about. I didn't find it controversial or inspiring. Good for the boy if he is still working out and getting healthy.
  • juliejules22
    Options
    I actually thought it was encouraging, and felt good that a huge athletic corporation wasnt spouting cut and uber fit bodies as usual, but that it was reaching closer to home, that we all have it in us, we just have to try.
  • chezileigh
    chezileigh Posts: 255
    Options
    Can't believe his mother can show her face on television without explaining how she let him get to that stage in the first place. This is child neglect, just as if you were feeding the child too little or failing to educate them as to why they need to eat enough, feeding them too much or failing to educate them on why they need to eat less, and making better food choices for and with them. It gets me really cross when I see these poor kids struggling to do the simplest of tasks, wasted childhood, this kid must feel like a 40 year old.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    the people who think he as exploited are probably fat themselves, tbh. i loved the commercial. someone close to me has been in the shoes as that kid is in (overweight as a child having to do what he can to work it off at a younger age) and he thought it was amazing.

i loved the message behind it. getting up in the morning and running, even if you can't, is greatness. people who get mad about it being "exploitation" need to chill.

the article said people were saying it was exploitation because the kid threw up during takes--- i know collegiate level athletes that throw up after a wrkout. hell, an olympic triathlete got sick during his race this year.
  • cubizzle
    cubizzle Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I thought Nike did it right with that commercial and the one with the woman and little girls talking about their sports and what not. Both rather inspiring.
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I thought it was a great ad, I looked like that running a few years ago and have made progress and it brings a smile to my face every time I see it an appeal to the greatness in all of us and the ability to go out and change ourselves
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Human nature. People are going to try to find a reason to be offended. You can't please everyone.

I am offended you find people to be so easily offendable!!! (What?...somebody had to say it :laugh: )
  • xoMeaghan
    xoMeaghan Posts: 175
    Options
    I love this Nike Ad!!! I am about 50 pounds overweight but want to be able to jog/run on a daily basis without stopping. I push myself and am excited when I ran a cross country track up and down a hill on dirt and bark chips in 96 degree weather for 7 minutes strait! Some laugh but it was great for me.

Not everyone has to be thin to start jogging or even walking. People complain that bigger individuals dont get up and move but when they do, fingers point and laugh. Of course not everyone is like this, but these are reasons why I would not leave my house to enjoy the outside to jog, now, I say screw it! I have every right to be out there with everyone else.

Thank you Nike for this inspirational ad!:bigsmile:

^ You. Are. Amazing. :drinker:
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options