New Nike Ad featuring 12 year old...opinions?

Options

Replies

• cmeade20
    cmeade20 Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I fail to see any reason for controvery. Obviously he and his parents agreed to do the commercial-not exploitation. And running isnt harmful to children.
  • whitneylovesyou
    Options
    This commercial gave me chills the first time I saw it...and continues to every time I see it now. I think it's extremely inspiring. People can say that the boy is being "exploited" all they want, but I think it's amazing to have such a big company such as Nike finally work to motivate the many obese and overweight people in this country. The main theme of the commercial (other than "buy our shoes") is to insist that anyone can be great if they push forward and work towards it. I don't know how anyone can argue with a message like that.
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    omg double post wtf lol
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Gotta be honest...I love that commercial. It gets right to the point...it's not sugarcoated but I don't find it offensive... I really like it. With the obesity issues in this country, especially with children, it's something important for people to see.
  • cookieluvsya
    cookieluvsya Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Just saw it, and I really loved it... I don't see what the controversy issue is.. just motivation.. =)
  • mynameiscarrie
    mynameiscarrie Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    The main theme of the commercial (other than "buy our shoes") is to insist that anyone can be great if they push forward and work towards it. I don't know how anyone can argue with a message like that.

100% this.
  • stellarcanicula
    stellarcanicula Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's anything controversial about it at all, but honestly, everyone has been praising it saying it's so powerful......I wasn't moved by it at all.

Hooray to him for running to get healthy....but I don't know, it just didnt seem as deep, and inspirational as people have been hyping it up to be..
  • MiloBloom83
    MiloBloom83 Posts: 2,723 Member
    Options
    I was 222 pounds when i first started walking/running. I just kept doing more and more. Until i ran a half marathon. And lost 47 pounds. You don't have to be thin to run, but if you run long enough, you'll get a whole lot thinner. And faster.
  • broadwaybound93
    Options
    I read an article the other day about him getting sick while he was doing it, like, ran off the road and had to go throw up in the ditch because he has eaten a big lunch before shooting . But afterwards he wanted to finish to prove he could do it (they used the footage after him getting sick so he looks extra exerted) and once he watched it back he decided he wanted to be fit so he was inspired by himself. Why wouldn't anyone else be? Also, he's said that Nike wants to check back in with him and his mom now that they know he's said he wants to get in shape so they plan to do a follow up with him.

http://twentytwowords.com/2012/08/06/inspiring-nike-ad-that-made-an-overweight-12-year-old-boy-puke-in-a-ditch/
  • NoSpandex
    Options
    I saw this commercial during the olympics and absolutely loved it. What a great way to help kids see that everybody can get fit and be active. Running, or any other activity for that matter, is not just for the skinny kids. Very touching and inspiring.
  • geral4479WECHANGED
    Options
    Not bad. Not bad at all.
  • Rayzback
    Rayzback Posts: 73
    Options
    It takes a lot of guts to get up in front of the entire world. I thought he was inspiring, and wish him good luck on his journey. I'm sure Nike is going to stick with him.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Can't believe his mother can show her face on television without explaining how she let him get to that stage in the first place. This is child neglect, just as if you were feeding the child too little or failing to educate them as to why they need to eat enough, feeding them too much or failing to educate them on why they need to eat less, and making better food choices for and with them. It gets me really cross when I see these poor kids struggling to do the simplest of tasks, wasted childhood, this kid must feel like a 40 year old.

How's the view up there on your high horse?
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    i completed my first 1/2 marathon at 224lbs...i think it is amazing this kid is starting now at 12 and 200lbs and i hope the hell he keeps it up...."america" is rooting him on....

I was 222 pounds when i first started walking/running. I just kept doing more and more. Until i ran a half marathon. And lost 47 pounds. You don't have to be thin to run, but if you run long enough, you'll get a whole lot thinner. And faster.
  • supergirlie00
    Options
    I can see the exploiting side of the argument, but I think the commercial is an ugly truth that needed to be pointed out... child obesity is out of control in the US. I took the commercial's "message" as that an active life style starts at any weight, height, or age.
  • Pollywog39
    Pollywog39 Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    At first, I thought "what the hell, that's mean." But after seeing the end, and believing that maybe a LOT of young kids will see this and think "hey, I CAN DO THAT TOO!".................a powerful message for the youth of today.

I hope it inspires many!
  • Tandi_S
    Tandi_S Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I guess as long as he and his famliy do not feel that he is being exploited, then all is good. As far as how I feel, I find it inspiring. Running is not easy. It's harder if you're carrying extra weight. But he's doing it. And it sounds like he had a positive experience from filming it and is trying to get healthier.

I LOVE the idea about a series of commercials as he gets healthier. THAT would be harder for me to see as not exploitve because they would have vested interest in seeing him lose weight and change. We should all like ourselves no matter what....even if we haven't made the best choices in the past. Now I need to take a dose of my own advise. :tongue:

I'm rambling now....I think I need a nap. :ohwell:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I was just reading an article on CNN about the new Nike Ad featuring a 12 year old overweight boy running in...of course...Nike shoes. The question was, are they exploiting him or is it inspiring?

So I thought I'd get the opinions here. What do you think?

If you haven't seen it...here's a link (I think!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2JnYcuRW_qo

Awesome! Thanks for sharing!
  • broadwaybound93
    Options
    Can't believe his mother can show her face on television without explaining how she let him get to that stage in the first place. This is child neglect, just as if you were feeding the child too little or failing to educate them as to why they need to eat enough, feeding them too much or failing to educate them on why they need to eat less, and making better food choices for and with them. It gets me really cross when I see these poor kids struggling to do the simplest of tasks, wasted childhood, this kid must feel like a 40 year old.

How's the view up there on your high horse?

precisely my thoughts. OP needs to chill. I don't think my mom abused or neglected me to let me get to this point. Did OP neglect herself if she's to the point where she wants to lose weight too?
  • Mcmilligen
    Mcmilligen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    You advertise sports wear on a trim, muscular athlete. People get offended.

You advertise running shoes on someone who is not a trim, muscular athlete. People get offended.

Hmmm...