Tips for PCOS

Options
I was diagnosed with PCOS February of '11 and am finally fed up with how it makes me feel so I'm back on my meds and starting to diet again. However, my doctors told me the reason I may have struggled with losing weight before was because of my PCOS. So my question is to people on here who are having success and also have PCOS what are some things you're adding or taking away from your diet? What are some exercises your using? I carry most of my weight in my trunk and am pear shaped because of my hips, butt, and big "low-hanging" belly. I'm planning so far to wean myself from soda because it's probably one of the leading causes of my belly fat as well as lessening on the carbs and when I do eat carbs they'll be healthy once I get the hang of keeping up with calories and eating in moderation overall. Someone else on here has told me that high protein low carb has helped her. Anymore tips? It's very much appreciated! I'm tired of being the only 19 year old I know that's over 300 lbs :((

Replies

• fleur_de_lis19
    fleur_de_lis19 Posts: 926 Member
    Options
    High protein is key! I also have PCOS and im still able to kick that weights *kitten*. Slowly, but you have to be patient and focus on the fact that your living a healthier life style and stay off that stupid scale. Its the devil. I know people with PCOS preach the low carb thing, but i really try to focus more on high protein, well balanced meals. There is also plenty of support groups here to help if you need it
  • _Elemenopee_
    _Elemenopee_ Posts: 2,665 Member
    Options
    I started walking, joined the gym but hardly go. When I do it's treadmill, Zumba, kickboxing or machines. Less "white" foods, enriched breads, pasta, sugar, potatoes and the like. I still eat them but not every day. Less sugar which is really hard for me since I have a huge sweet tooth and MUCH MUCH more water. I'm actually getting my cycle every 35-45 days now when for my whole life it was a surprise with 1 or 2 a year and twice I went 2 years without one. Losing weight and getting into a healthier mind set has helped my body almost become "normal"..almost.

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • geminitwin1979
    Options
    Hey ...I try and watch my carbs as much as possible and definately cut out soda or if too hard go for the sugar free versions ! Other than that i just watched my intake and portion sizes and the weight started coming off ! Obviously once weight reduces you will see symptons ease ..

As for exercise i started with zumba and then gillians 30 day shred and its worked for me ! you can't spot reduce where it comes off i am afraid which sucks lol !!

Good luck u can do it !!!
  • readingfrenzy21
    readingfrenzy21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow cyster. I try to eat lowER carb. No potatoes and nothing white, but I like toast, so I eat weight watchers whole wheat bread. I eat as many fresh veggies as I can afford and try to get in a lot of protein. Since I hate going to the gym I exercise using my Wii. I have gold's gym dance workout, exerbeat, and zumba 2. Try to find an exercise that you like and will stick with. I also take metformin because without it I would not lose any weight or lose very slowly. MFP friends really help to motivate you as well! It looks like you have a good starting plan, though :)
  • PrincessNikkiBoo
    PrincessNikkiBoo Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    bump
  • _MissTerious_
    Options
    Its been a struggle for me as well. Did metformin for a while, but I want to focus less on medication and more on a healthier lifestyle. So yes, I joined a gym (Zumba baby), eating healthier, drinking more water....Keep in mind that it does take time.
  • broadwaybound93
    Options
    Thanks for all the quick responses everyone! lol. I'm making a note in my Word Document of all of them. My roomie and I have a Wii in our dorm room so maybe I'll invest in some of those games. Also, I see a lot of people talking about Gillian's 30-day Shred where can I find it? Like, do they sell it at Wal-Mart?

Also, I had told my mom not to buy any snacks for me to take back to school with me but she did - a lot of the fad snacks like 100 calorie packs of cookies (when I don't even like sweets) and snack bags of popcorn and jell-o and a pack of turkey and special k breakfast bars. Any of those I should chuck when I get to school or give away to girls on my floor? >___> And God knows what my roomie is bringing with her since she's the food Queen and was one of the people that said "I'll diet with you" second semester and then would sit in our room all day on her computer and eating from her snack horde rather than go with me to the cafeteria for a real meal that we have a meal plan for anyway. I was guilty of it myself when I didn't want to go and sit and eat by myself since all of my friends I've made actually live near town and go home for dinner or eat at a time when I'm still in class. The only time I have free to eat is when the cafeteria is full of athletes getting in from late practices.

So any tips on how I can motivate her? She's got PCOS too but she's built way different from me - she's more masculine and a lot taller than me but she's also told me she's noticing the number on the scale creeping up after our first year of college together. I think maybe telling her about this site and having someone physically there living with me that's doing it too (as well as me there with her) might help us both to stay on track.
  • plutosmile
    plutosmile Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found I have PCOS when I was trying to get pregnant. I've always been overweight, but didn't start having abnormal periods until I got married. When I got divorced, the weight expanded and the PCOS symptoms got worse. I had to get on birth control because my periods would last for months at a time, or I wouldn't have periods at all. The doctors also gave me Metformin which helps.

I have cut out sodas completely. If I do have a soda craving, I will drink 1 caffeine free diet soda. No more than 1 per week. I cut out pastas, breads (occassionally I will have 100 calories multi-grain bread rounds), potatoes, etc. If I want pasta, I will make spaghetti squash. It looks just like pasta, but is actually healthy for you. Eating out is something I don't do very often anymore either. Lots and lots of leafy green veggies is a staple in my diet. I exercise as often as I can switching between cardio and weights. I keep 5 pound weights next to the tv, so when I'm watching, I can continue to work out.

So far, I've dropped 25 pounds. I feel a lot better. Have the mind set that it's not a diet. It's a life change. If you do, you will reach your goals.
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOS (along with severe endometriosis, but that’s a whole other beast) in my late teens. At that time I was at a very healthy weight, but over the last several years I packed on the pounds. A couple years ago after a surgery to remove one of my ovaries that was badly destroyed from the constant cysts, my doctor put me on Metformin. I was on it for about a year without any diet change and stayed at a consistent weight, which was good since before I was just gaining. Since April I’ve been reducing my caloric intake and have had great success with losing weight. I have reduced my sugar intake, but as you can see if you look at my food diary, I still eat some sugars and carbs- normally a sweet or two throughout the day. I cut out soda which I think made a big deal- there’s so much sugar in there and it was relatively easy for me to leave behind. If I want something bubbly, I will put a splash of reduced or no sugar juice in some carbonated water.
    You can follow some sort of strict low gi diet, but I think the first step is just to reduce your calories. When you’re watching your calories and really stick to it, you’ll make a choice to eat a larger portion protein rather than a tiny portion of something sugary. In turn, you will naturally reduce your sugar intake. In my opinion, at least at first, there is no reason to stick to any specific diet- just eat healthily.
    The most helpful thing I do is exercise. Cardio is key to burn excess glucose in your bloodstream, as excess glucose is a big contributor to PCOS and weight gain. My doctor told me that you have to do cardio for at least an hour to burn that glucose (before I was doing ½ an hour to 45 minutes or so), so that’s what I do. Every day. It’s made a huge difference in the severity of my symptoms too, I’m typically always in pain and I noticed a month or so ago that I’ve been going days without using heat packs and vicodin- which was a daily necessity for me before. My doctor even asked me during my last routine visit in a worried way why I hadn’t refilled my vicodin prescription in a while. It was awesome.
    Good luck!
  • bethfartman
    Options
    Oh, and about your friend/roomie- I think the best thing you can do is focus on yourself and when she sees your success she will want to join in. Or not. Everyone has their own internal motivations and 'aha moments,' you can't really influence that. She may even resent you if you try to push it. My friend, who is not anywhere as overweight as I am but still has her own struggles to stay where she wants to be, is so thrilled with my results she has been working out with me tons and has been eating much healthier and asking my advice on diet and I never mentioned anything to her. You can always just do active things together, but diet is touchy.
  • broadwaybound93
    Options
    Thanks so much - it's crazy just how many other women have PCOS. I wonder what the numbers/statistics are?
  • bethfartman
    Options
    It's very common, most women will get a non-funcional cyst every now and then, but when your ovaries become polycystic you have a problem. Unfortunately it can be caused by being insulin resistant (although that is not always the case.) And then comes the whole 'chicken and the egg' scenario- do you have PCOS because you’re insulin resistant and are you insulin resistant because you’re overweight? Or are you overweight because you’re insulin resistant? It’s hard to tell and there are many opinions out there, but there is no question losing weight can help a lot and many women who have PCOS are overweight.
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    There are a bunch of PCOS support groups, go check em' out! You'll find all sorts of women with similar issues and TONS of support for all of your questions! Good luck on your journey, Im right there with ya! I've had my best success doing Atkins DANDR(if interested reading the book is a must) and working out both strength training and cardio at least 5 times a week. Add me if you'd like, Im here everday if you ever need anything!:flowerforyou:
  • MonicaT1972
    Options
    The formula that works for my body is eating clean, no processed pre-packaged foods. Carbs only from whole grains and fruits and vegetables. And lastly exercise and lots of it. I have to put in a minimum of 2 hrs a day to keep on the losing side of things.

It's not an easy road but it can be done if you want it badly enough!!! Good luck!!!
  • jella74
    jella74 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Cutting sugar without weaning helps a lot more than weaning off. I lost 22 pounds so far since Feb 23, I cut my calorie intake to 1200cals, no sugar, NO ARTIFICIAL SWEETENERS. AND I STARTED RUNNING!!!!

Yes it was and is very hard but if you want it bad enough the sugary stuff will not matter. And treating yourself to ONE sugary food at a certain point like every week or every month can and should be allowed. When I did that I realized I didn't like the taste!

Do lots of cardio workouts, and please drink your water, add lemon or orange to the water if you need to, BUT lemon helps much more.
  • riccoismydog
    riccoismydog Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those skinny PCOSers. But I still put on weight in my middle :( I didn't even know I had PCOS until I went to the fertility docs.

The sad thing is....I eat super clean, low carb, work out minimum three times a week. Only organic. Hormone free meat and milk products.

And I still have acne and a tummy.

The worst part is, it will never go away. It is a metabolic syndrome. You can reduce your symptoms, but they will always be there.

The only tips I have is.....
    low carb
    eat only the lowest glycemic carbs you can find
    keep the sugar below 40g a day including fruit
    watch the added hormones from meat and dairy
    and eat clean and organic, those pesticides wreck havoc on your endocrine system.
    loads of healthy fats for your cardiovascular system.

And don't give up hope. You can be fit and healthy with PCOS. In fact you should make it a goal. PCOS gives us a higher rate of cardiovascular disease and cancer.

Good luck on your weight loss goals. It can be done! Now if only I could have children :(
  • miranda_mom
    miranda_mom Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS too! I think it's great that they seem to be diagnosing earlier now. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 33 and was into my second round of fertility problems. That was almost 33 years of battling weight issues and trying my hardest to exercise and diet - and still losing nothing. And gaining sometimes. I am on Metformin now and it has helped me. Logging on MFP is so great - it helps so much. Try to hook up with some other PCOS ladies - a lot (but not all) of my friends have it. It can make it easier when you see posts where people are like "I've lost 100 lbs. in two months!" or whatever. You start to think Why can't I do it too? We have a group called PCOS Ladies Support Group. We do monthly challenges to just lose 5-7 lbs. a month. I made it in June but not July... That's okay, everyone is really great.
  • melbot24
    melbot24 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    1) Cardio
    2) Organic high protein, low-carb diet
    3) Inositol supplements
    4) Reduce alcohol intake

Oh and there's some great information here, (even if you're not trying to get pregnant) http://natural-fertility-info.com/progesterone-fertility-guide/#pcos
  • itsuki
    itsuki Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much - it's crazy just how many other women have PCOS. I wonder what the numbers/statistics are?

My doc said between 10 and 20% of women have it to some extent.
  • staceyanne1
    Options
    I got diagnosed when I was 18 , I had my daughter when I was 17 and just kept bleeding until I turned 18. They just sat me down , told me , gave me a leaflet and I left .
    I , like so many , never struggled with my weight until I turned in my 20,s . I think I felt sorry for myself, ate myself to near 340lbs .
    I managed to get down to 210lbs , and now I'm stuck.
    So I'm taking what everyones said on this post to try help myself.
    Sorry for jumping in :-)