Tips for PCOS

Options

Replies

• Lina4Lina
    Lina4Lina Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Another note- My endocrinologist suggested I stay away from any soy products, which I was insanely bummed about because I LOVE LOVE LOVE tofu and edamame, but after doing some independent research I decided to follow his advice. There are tons of studies out there that focus on soy and other forms of environmental estrogen and its effects on reproductive health. I was in and out of veganism and vegetarianism for about 10 years as a teenager/young adult and my primary protein source was soy, I ate it constantly, and I wonder now if it had any effect on my issues now.

Really? Mine told me soy was fine, tofu, tempeh, soy milk. Soy protein isolate was the one I've read where you should be careful and avoid.
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS since puberty and i'm 25 now. Used to get surprise periods once or twice a year. Now my doctor has put me on BCPs and I am atleast seeing some thing each month if not completely normally !

Most frustrating is that the weight loss is SOO SLOW !!

Worst symptoms are excessive hair growth and a neck that is many shades darker than the rest of my body !! I hope I will be able to conceive when I do want to in a couple of years..

If I don't exercise, I start putting on weight without control !

The changes I made to my diet are cut out white rice/ simple carbs, I still eat carbs but not the refined ones, only whole grain ones..started paying more attention to my protein intake, i'm a vegetarian and after starting to log my food on MFP, I realized I did not eat enough protein before.

I have read lot of cysters on MFP's PCOS groups say that they have benefited a lot from low GI diet. Maybe you should try that?
  • Oops25
    Oops25 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Another note- My endocrinologist suggested I stay away from any soy products, which I was insanely bummed about because I LOVE LOVE LOVE tofu and edamame, but after doing some independent research I decided to follow his advice. There are tons of studies out there that focus on soy and other forms of environmental estrogen and its effects on reproductive health. I was in and out of veganism and vegetarianism for about 10 years as a teenager/young adult and my primary protein source was soy, I ate it constantly, and I wonder now if it had any effect on my issues now.

Really? Mine told me soy was fine, tofu, tempeh, soy milk. Soy protein isolate was the one I've read where you should be careful and avoid.

From what I have read, GMO soy (genetically-modified types) should be avoided and most soy products available in the market are made from genetically modified soy beans, such products mess with your endocrine system, and hence they recommend not to have them. However, organic soy is a very good source of protein and is good for your system too since it is non-GMO. Also, it is better to have tofu, tempeh, and edamame instead of having the meat substitute kinda soy..
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options

From what I have read, GMO soy (genetically-modified types) should be avoided and most soy products available in the market are made from genetically modified soy beans, such products mess with your endocrine system, and hence they recommend not to have them. However, organic soy is a very good source of protein and is good for your system too since it is non-GMO. Also, it is better to have tofu, tempeh, and edamame instead of having the meat substitute kinda soy..

He made no distinction between a GMO or organic soy product, nor between an isolate or whole soy protein. When talking about my diet, I told him I eat a lot of tofu and edamame and he simply said I should cut that out- I also have severe endometriosis which is another reproductive disorder that is sensitive to estrogen, so perhaps his advice was a bit extreme to be extra cautious. I still eat soy in some form a couple times a month, but not daily as I did before. I was never a fan of meat substitutes or soy milk, so I don't know about that. I don't think it's had an effect on my health or symptoms either way since I've stopped, but I try to avoid it just in case (not to mention how bad it is for the environment.) I also try to use only natural body products to avoid those artificial estrogen sources as well. You should, of course, follow your doctor's advice, I just thought I'd mention it as something to consider.
  • bethfartman
    Options

He made no distinction between a GMO or organic soy product, nor between an isolate or whole soy protein. When talking about my diet, I told him I eat a lot of tofu and edamame and he simply said I should cut that out- I also have severe endometriosis which is another reproductive disorder that is sensitive to estrogen, so perhaps his advice was a bit extreme to be extra cautious. I still eat soy in some form a couple times a month, but not daily as I did before. I was never a fan of meat substitutes or soy milk, so I don't know about that. I don't think it's had an effect on my health or symptoms either way since I've stopped, but I try to avoid it just in case (not to mention how bad it is for the environment.) I also try to use only natural body products to avoid those artificial estrogen sources as well. You should, of course, follow your doctor's advice, I just thought I'd mention it as something to consider.
    I was just thinking about this while I worked and realized how much protein I used to consume when I ate more soy and now I have difficulty getting anywhere near my daily protein allotment since I don't eat much meat (I eat other protein sources like nuts and grains and limited dairy products, but they aren't as protein rich as meat or soy.) Maybe the trade-off has created more negative effects then positive for my health? Who knows? Now I'm questioning everything, aaaaahhh!!! :-)
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options

Sadly, if you have hair grown thing... I dont think there is any cure for that yet. I just watch groupon for laser hair removal coupons and get it done a few times until the next groupon comes out.

Laser didn't work for me. I had even more rounds of it than recommended and actually it made mine worse!!!! Waxing actually works better and my hair has gotten thinner
  • DennyCakes
    Options
    It really shocks me how many women have PCOS! I'm a fellow cyster. I always attributed my huge weight gain to my poor eating habits (yeah it definitely didn't help) but in 2007 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on Metformin and it made me soo sick!! I stopped taking it after a week. I've cut out soda, I'm trying to watch my portions, and trying VERY hard to stay away from junk and fried food goodness!! Haha!! I'm also working out 4 days a week for about an hour. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm gonna keep on truckin'.
  • Music4Hym777
    Music4Hym777 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    It really shocks me how many women have PCOS! I'm a fellow cyster. I always attributed my huge weight gain to my poor eating habits (yeah it definitely didn't help) but in 2007 I was diagnosed with PCOS. I was put on Metformin and it made me soo sick!! I stopped taking it after a week. I've cut out soda, I'm trying to watch my portions, and trying VERY hard to stay away from junk and fried food goodness!! Haha!! I'm also working out 4 days a week for about an hour. I know I have a long road ahead of me, but I'm gonna keep on truckin'.

I had a similar experience with Metformin and refuse to go back on it ever again. I have also cut out soda and the idea of it now is awful to me (cut it out 4 years ago). Keep on truckin'
  • bethfartman
    Options

I had a similar experience with Metformin and refuse to go back on it ever again. I have also cut out soda and the idea of it now is awful to me (cut it out 4 years ago). Keep on truckin'

Metformin made me super ill for the first month or so I was taking it (throwing up and diarrhea.) I stopped, but then my doctor told me that I really should go back on it. I tried again and cut out all (well most, I’m not going to lie I had some sweets here and there, but very rarely) simple carbs and refined sugars during the first couple months and the symptoms were greatly relieved- and I lost a bunch of weight, which was a nice bonus. I slowly added them back in and I don't have any side effects anymore. Just some ideas in case your doctor keeps suggesting it and you'd like to try again.
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    1BRIGHTCHICK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I have had PCOS since I was an early teen, and back then the only support was birth control pills. That only made my symptoms worse, because the hirsutism just continued to get worse as I aged, and weight gain was rapid, and weight loss was virtually impossible. I didn't begin taking Metformin until I was about 30, and it was so gut wrenching literally. I thought I had IBS while taking it, but it truly was the medicine. Without consistent exercise, the Metformin alone wasn't able to prevent my newest battle.

I just learned of my Diabetes on 7/28 after experiencing DKA with a glucose of 998. Somehow, I drove myself to the hospital and stayed in ICU for 6 days as a result of this new discovery. I also have PCOS, and just 6 months ago, my Endocrinologist said I was pre-diabetic, but that's all. Well, my Pancreas in my doctor's words decided to "poop out" and stop producing insulin. Hence, the episode on 7/28.

So, I've been home since 8/3 and it's been a total lifestyle adjustment to say the least. I now take a very high dosage of Insulin 4 times a day, I ride the stationary bike 30 minutes a day in the morning, cook almost every day, eat 6 times a day, my eyes change almost every day, my right ankle or foot hurts when it feels like it, and my blood sugar drops ridiculously about 1-2 times a day. With all that said, I'm pretty accepting of the new lifestyle change and am just ready to get back to some type of normalcy. Besides being overweight and having PCOS, my father and grandfather who recently lost his leg both have Diabetes, so there was no reason for me to be surprised by the recent diagnosis. I'm just grateful that I made it to my 37th birthday last Friday! I'm home on short-term disability until Sept 7th bored out of my mind. Since my body continues to go through change, I'm pretty glad I'm not experiencing these changes at work. Anyway, that's my story. I look forward to sharing experiences here with other folks with PCOS and Diabetes for support.

TK
  • 82ale
    82ale Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What I would give to go back and tell my 19 year old self how to "fix" this....

You're going to have to exercise at a high intensity for a minimum of an hour a day. (The extreme makeover folks do 4 hours a day so I can do one). See an endocrinologist and take the appropriate cocktail of medicines until you get the weight off. If you don't get your hormones under control you're working very hard in vain, and you might not see results. When I am under 160ish I don't have very many symptoms and don't take any medicine, your threshold will vary.

The best thing I can tell you is that if you neglect this it will get much worse. I know from experience. I wish you the best!
  • lmruthe
    lmruthe Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    So anyone have success with getting knocked up? I can not get pregnant to save my life. I have a very regular flow and ovulate every month. Just do not get pregnant.
  • kayfrog
    kayfrog Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with PCOD, the precursor to PCOS and have been on birth control since I was 15 and am now on metformin. I know this is just hearsay but try taking Vitamin E. My aunt (not saying that it will be the same for anyone else) had severe cysts and was going to have her ovaries surgically removed, the E helped reduce the size of the cysts and was able to avoid surgery.

The biggest thing I've noticed is that the aching in my lower abdomen (from my ovaries) has almost gone since I've been taking vitamin E regularly.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    There's really not a lot of women with PCOS in the general population, 10% are the stats but as one of the biggest side affects is weight gain we'll be over represented on weight loss boards

I have followed very little of the advice given on this thread and have lost 80lbs. I walk for an hour a day (but work out in addition to this) I eat low GI. I drink Coke Zero constantly (in addition to my 9 glasses of water), I dot eat clean and I eat 1690 calories.

OP I would not recommend starting at very low cals (under 1800) unless your doctor is recommending it. Even then I'd be iffy. It can be very hard to sick to VLCD and more often than not people give up.

Ultimatly what works for me won't work for you. You need to find what works for you and stick to it! Just remember that weight loss isn't linear. You will go up and down but as long as its a downward trend you'll be fine!
  • mihacadu
    Options
    I think I just need to Vent. I was extremely good all of this week and nada weight loss. I've literally been stuck at the same weight for 2 years now and nothing. I went on a gluten and wheat free diet a while ago (my nutritionist suggestion) and in the whole month I was on it I didn't lose a single pound. I am getting really really disheartened now at this stage and don't know what to do!!! It's just sooooo frustrating! Needed to just get that off my chest!
  • Palmonds
    Palmonds Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think I just need to Vent. I was extremely good all of this week and nada weight loss. I've literally been stuck at the same weight for 2 years now and nothing. I went on a gluten and wheat free diet a while ago (my nutritionist suggestion) and in the whole month I was on it I didn't lose a single pound. I am getting really really disheartened now at this stage and don't know what to do!!! It's just sooooo frustrating! Needed to just get that off my chest!

That's so disheartening for you :( Working hard and not seeing it on the scales is awful. You might be interested in this thread:

http://www.soulcysters.net/showthread.php/332734-Anyone-doing-the-insulin-resistance-diet
  • 1BRIGHTCHICK
    1BRIGHTCHICK Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Broadwaybound! It is so comforting to be on a site like this as well as other PCOS support sites when you have this disorder. This syndrome has been around for a very long time, but is finally starting to become more known by doctors. When I was younger, my doctor told me I had a hormonal imbalance and had them put me on birth control pills at age 13. That completely messed me up, and assisted in my gaining weight pretty darn fast. Unfortunately, in the 80s the doctors didn't give it a name. They also didn't treat it as a metabolic syndrome where insulin resistance was a factor. Therefore, I continued to grow hair everywhere I didn't want, and miss periods, and gain weight. It wasn't until I turned 25 did the doctors catch on that the birth control pills were only for regulating my period, but not addressing the underlining issue of insulin resistance. Given the fact my dad and grandfather both have diabetes, they really should have known there was a strong chance I was insulin resistant. Again, different time and level of knowledge. Once I started seeing an Endocrinologist in my late 20s, I was placed on Metformin which tore my insides up daily all the way until this year when I shifted to being a diabetic. I certainly wish my doctors knew then, what the doctors know now! Everyone that has posted on here so far has hit the nail on the head for managing PCOS. It is quite apparent that you never stop having PCOS, but you can work really hard to minimize your chances of becoming a Diabetic. I could kick myself for not treating exercise like a daily necessity, but that mistake I will try my best to never make again. Get moving!!! Find an activity you enjoy, and stick to it DAILY!!! I wish I could say 3-5 times a week, but my experience has shown me that 3-5 days a week with a modified diet didn't quite get it. MOVE YOUR BODY for a minimum 30 minutes EVERY DAY!!!! Start reducing the frequency of the high carb intake, and increase protein with attention to low fat. It may seem challenging at first to not eat 2 pancakes from IHop with bacon and eggs, but your body will respond positively if you start making these changes. We're here to help each other along the way.
  • Boombeana
    Boombeana Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    HI! I also have PCOS and need lots of help. lol I was diagnosed in 2003. And I am the only one of my friends that has it. Im amazed at how many of us are there here. And to think I deleted the app from my phone last year!

I am back now and I want to really start loosing weight! I am truly inspired by the stories I have been reading.

Please feel free to add me as a friend & share any tips you may have for keeping focused!
  • jmzz1
    jmzz1 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    bump
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Cycling reduces insulin in the body, it's more effective than walking or running! Also low carb is essential to PCOS. Keep up with it no matter how hard it is.