Any Adults Who Are Living At Home???

Options
123457»

Replies

• TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I guess it's nice that your parents let you move back in as an adult. It's better than the taxpayer footing the bill for assistance, but I can't understand why this generation is having such a hard time making the choice to be independent. I know I am going to suffer a little hate for saying this. Life is about choice. Make some good ones.

I would let my daughters move back in if it would help them get back on their feet, but they would have to start making some good choices and show some resolve towards becoming independent again.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Two suggestions --

1) Set yourself a deadline and start house hunting. "I will save $x dollars by y date so I can buy a house like z". Just like losing weight and getting in shape, you need a goal and a plan.

2) Spend less time in your room and at your parents home. Get out, go places, even if it's just the library (it's free!). Sitting in one room isn't going to help you.
  • bebaile2
    bebaile2 Posts: 19
    Options
    I moved home to save money before I went to graduate school, even though at that time I was a full time, salaried professional doing pretty well for myself. While it's not exactly the cool thing to admit, I loved it. I got to spend time with my significantly younger siblings and more time with my parents, which I hadn't done in a long time. When I moved out again, I was definitely ready to go, but the time I had there was worth it. (Especially when I could go to grad school AND replace my old death trap of a vehicle with a new, safe car.)
  • LALOCHA34
    LALOCHA34 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I have never moved back home with my parents but I guess I just refuse to not have my own place.

If it works for you that is great, if it doesn't find your plan B.

I sure hope you have a mad down payment when you are ready to buy that house. Good luck.
  • salinas87
    Options
    I am also single, have a full time job and still live with my parents, I don't have a problem with that, I help out with the bills and save up, like several people have mentioned it's kind of a cultural thing, that you don't move out until you are married, so I don't mind waiting and saving up money lol
  • AmyBecky74
    AmyBecky74 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    38, lost my job due to illness and wanting on disability. Thank God mom is here for me. She's my angel on earth :heart:
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Many adults live at home.
  • Smiling_Sara
    Smiling_Sara Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    We have both of our adult children living at home...daughter is 25 this year and son is 21. Daughter has a full time job and helps buy food and stuff when asked. Son is still looking for a job..but he cleans our 2 story house..cooks and does anything asked of him. I LOVE having my kids here. I want them to be happy and if staying here with us makes them happy then so be it. When they are ready to wing it on their own they will go when ready and have my blessing but until then...I LOVE it!

I'm happy to read this. I don't "hate" living with my parents, but the money I am saving every month is going into a savings account so I can have a nice down payment on a house. I have been saving roughly 500-600 a month. I realize that I could probably get a place for that, but I do want a house someday, I never really had the best luck with noise when I was doing the apartment living.

At any rate, I like to think I'm doing the responsible thing here. I do pay my parents a small amount for rent, I buy all my own food, and kick in with stuff we all eat ( eggs, rice, etc )
  • HurricaneElaine
    HurricaneElaine Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 (almost - 10/18 is my birthday) and I live with my mother in the family house. Moved out at 19, back in at 25 when my father died. I've been here ever since. After taxes, I barely make 30 grand a year. I pay room and board, cable/TV/internet, and I'm paying off a car which has modest insurance. I don't ever want to move out. Though one day I will have to.. when Mum is gone. :cry: I don't even wanna think about it. Being alone. For the rest of my life. :brokenheart:

Personally I don't think there's anything wrong with still living at home, but a lot of people do think that way - I wonder what they might think of ME.
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I moved out at 19 - moved back home at 20 (yeah a long time I know!) to save up for a place. At the time my siblings were 13 & under. It was a tough gig BUT I saved enough for a unit & for that I'm very thankful because years down the track I'm onto my 3rd property & I couldn't have done it without my folks.

So if it's short term, I'm sure you can live with the confined space for now & the limited freedom. It will be all worth it in the end.

Each to their own living with their parents for a long time. I know some peeps who have/do & they are just weird. They don't do anything without their parents & just seem socially awkward & how are they going to be when their parents aren't around anymore? That is just my take on the people that I know, obviously not everyone is like that.
  • KeithChanning
    KeithChanning Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Many adults live at home.

This